Not so New Newbie

reesay

Just joined after looking for advice online, been reading through the forum And wanted to get some advice on whether I should request an urgent Gp appt?

I was diagnosed with type 2 in August 19 and put on metformin 500g x 2. My Hb1ac at that time was 54. Tbh I’ve just been taking the meds as directed ( also taking statin and ramipril) and getting on with it until the last few weeks where I’ve felt exhausted all the time. My brother who is type 1 suggested I start taking glucose readings so I got a monitor and for the last 6/7 weeks have been recorded my glucose in the morning upon waking, lowest reading I’ve had is 13.4 and highest 17.9. After reading through other posts I’ve started to take a reading after food too and these have been 1-2hrs and between 14-16.7
I relayed my concerns to my doctor and have been sent for bloods as I’ve not had a blood test since July last year
I am struggling to speak with my doctor, my appt with him is the 27th November which is the soonest routine telephone consult. My results are back from my blood test on Friday already as receptionist called me today to book the appt. I’m thinking of asking for an emergency appointment but I don’t want to appear like I’m over reacting but at the same time I’m worried and don’t want to wait really for another month to speak to him. Would these kind of readings be classed as something thats urgent?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Welcome to the forums,
First question, has your GP done the test to differentiate between T1 and T2 (cpeptide and GAD) or just assumed T2 because of your age and/or weight?

T1 can occur at any age and though it's more common in younger people your family history should have ensured those tests were done.

Those blood sugars are bad but they won't kill you ....

Unless you are a misdiagnosed T1 and have ketones in your system. (You can get urine testing strips from the chemist or ask your brother if he has a ketone blood testing monitor.)

What are the results of the blood test?

And if you have T2 then reducing the carbohydrate in your diet will probably give you fairly immediate relief, (and will help a bit if you're slow onset T1 because your body will still be producing some insulin).

Good luck.

ps read this about DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis) which is what happens if you don't diagnose a T1 in time

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/diabetic-ketoacidosis/

DKA requires immediate medical attention (ie dial 111).

reesay

Hi thanks for your reply. I’ve not had my results yet I’ve asked for them to be posted to me. I’ve never had a test to differentiate between type 1 and 2.
I have cut the carbs out in the last few days so I’ll hopefully start to see an improvement and I will sort a urine test out thank you for letting me know about that.

reesay

Hi thanks for your reply. I’ve not had my results yet I’ve asked for them to be posted to me. I’ve never had a test to differentiate between type 1 and 2.
I have cut the carbs out in the last few days so I’ll hopefully start to see an improvement and I will sort a urine test out thank you for letting me know about that.

I will ask also about the test as both parents are/were diabetic as well

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The doctor most likely ordered antibody tests. Look for them in the test results. The main antibody tests are ICA, IAA, GADA, IA-A2 and ZnTBA. 90% of people with T1 diabetes test positive for 2 or more of them. If it is T1, an urgent appointment to get started on insulin treatment would be a good idea.

reesay

I have had my results back today of Hb1ac it’s 68.

The doctor most likely ordered antibody tests. Look for them in the test results. The main antibody tests are ICA, IAA, GADA, IA-A2 and ZnTBA. 90% of people with T1 diabetes test positive for 2 or more of them. If it is T1, an urgent appointment to get started on insulin treatment would be a good idea.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I have had my results back today of Hb1ac it’s 68.

So he didn't do GAD or cpeptide tests?

That's an average blood sugar of 10.7 over the last 3 months, so if you current levels are averaging higher than that, that is an indication that your condition is worsening currently, and another possible marker for T1.

Hopefully a reduction of carbs in your diet is helping, but if it isn't, if your levels get higher or if you're producing ketones, get that emergency appointment.

68 is a fairly typical starting level for a T2 - loads of folk on these boards start there (or higher) and return to normal levels just by cutting the carbs. So if it's T2 you may well just be able to control by diet. But your recent blood sugars seem a lot higher than 10.7, so I'd still be concerned that you might have T1.

Good luck.