Sweetners in medication

SMS1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was prescribed Carticure which is a spanish product for joints and cartilage. However, I was advised by GP not to take it because it has sorbitol (somehow our discussion didn't say which other similar medication to take). I'm looking for another similar medication but a sweetner (or without) suited for diabetics.
Which sweetners added to medications are generally safe for diabetes?I have yet to see one with Stevia or Truvia but probably the safest ( but not very tasty) are the ones without any sweetners.
Thanks

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I was prescribed Carticure which is a spanish product for joints and cartilage. However, I was advised by GP not to take it because it has sorbitol (somehow our discussion didn't say which other similar medication to take). I'm looking for another similar medication but a sweetner (or without) suited for diabetics.
Which sweetners added to medications are generally safe for diabetes?I have yet to see one with Stevia or Truvia but probably the safest ( but not very tasty) are the ones without any sweetners.
Thanks

Now I'm puzzled, as sorbitol is often advertised as a sweetener suitable for diabetics. Why did your doctor not want you to use it? Is it because of one of the medications you are taking? Also, it probably depends on how much sorbitol is in the carticure....?

SMS1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@EllieM I was having the gastrointestinal problems i.e. the "runs" (sorry if TMI)-to use another word-due to another medication, Probably adding sorbitol (a polyol) isn't great
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-t...es-and-diabetes/sugar-sweeteners-and-diabetes
Also was severely dehydrated so anything adverse, I didn't take.I don't know many grams of sorbitol there is in Carticure (had a quick look at the box).This is why I'm asking because it appears I have to take carticure or something similar.I would love to hear of any suggestions.

Last edited:

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Carticure is glucosamine.
The implication is of a worsening in insulin resistance.
Astute GP, but not due to sorbitol probably.
Might there have been a mishearing?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs

Sorbitol can act as a laxative so not suitable for someone already having gastric issues (sorry @SMS1 ) . As to the original question, I don't know, but maybe email the manufacturers and ask if they have a version without the sorbitol?

Good luck.

Reactions: SMS1

SMS1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, that's good to know. Now I'll look up condroitin sulfate to see if that's okay to take.
Now just have to find something which would be the same but not adverse to diabetics.

Last edited:

SMS1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorbitol can act as a laxative so not suitable for someone already having gastric issues (sorry @SMS1 ) . As to the original question, I don't know, but maybe email the manufacturers and ask if they have a version without the sorbitol?

Good luck.
Thanks,for your info . I didn't know glucosamine had an adverse reaction for insulin resistance. @Struma
All the same if it's not one thing ,it's another( can't take this medication because it interacts with another or it's not suitable for diabetes).

Reactions: Carrie16