Freestyle libre problems

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This morning scanned at 6am all good. At 7am got error scanning wait 10 minutes. Got this several times until it said your sensor has stopped working. With 7 days to go. This was followed by a notice updating their terms and conditions. I don't know if it's connected.

Used this for a year with no problems. Then I had two fall off. One 8 days to go the other after 3 days. Abbott's did replace them, but that's not the point. I am wondering if the manufacturing quality has taken a nosedive.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
When I was using it I experienced similar things. Very few problems for several months then a couple of bad ones consecutively.

Don't know if it's a duff batch or luck of the draw.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know the last few I've had have been decidedly less sticky than before, they used to stick to me like superglue - I'd have a fight removing them after two weeks, whereas the last few I've had I've had to tape down to stop them falling off.

Reactions: NaijaChick

Sadaf.s

@rockaab hi. This is a common issue apparently if you have knocked it, banged it or anything it does not survive. Call abbot directly they will send a new one. Sometime GP can refuse you another libre due to neglect and fob you off with 50 strips good luck. X

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They are sending me another sensor, they want this one back. I have no problem with that, it's just frustrating.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I know the last few I've had have been decidedly less sticky than before, they used to stick to me like superglue - I'd have a fight removing them after two weeks, whereas the last few I've had I've had to tape down to stop them falling off.

Although it's difficult getting Abbott to admit to anything there are supposed to have been changes to the adhesive and/or the patch to help all the people suffering allergies and contact dermatitis.

I gave up with Libre about 2 years ago for that reason and I'm thinking of giving it another go to find out if it really has changed. I used to have a problem getting them off too.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This morning scanned at 6am all good. At 7am got error scanning wait 10 minutes. Got this several times until it said your sensor has stopped working. With 7 days to go. This was followed by a notice updating their terms and conditions. I don't know if it's connected.

Used this for a year with no problems. Then I had two fall off. One 8 days to go the other after 3 days. Abbott's did replace them, but that's not the point. I am wondering if the manufacturing quality has taken a nosedive.

Funnily enough I placed a new one on last week and it immediately fell off. I put on a second (spare) one and that fell off as well! I know I'm placing them on properly as I've been on them almost a year and this is the first time this has happened. I contacted libre and they have sent me two replacements but still. My concern is that I get 2 a month on prescription which is good but if you lose one early (or both fall off!) you're suddenly left without one. I have bought and kept a spare because of this.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@rockaab hi. This is a common issue apparently if you have knocked it, banged it or anything it does not survive. Call abbot directly they will send a new one. Sometime GP can refuse you another libre due to neglect and fob you off with 50 strips good luck. X

Mine fell off the minute I attached it (twice), I definitely didn't knock it, I was just standing there! If my GP accused me of 'neglect' I'd be very annoyed but I guess if a person has acted 'recklessly' in some way, maybe. x

SilverK

Is it possible to wear an arm band over it to help protect it? - Just asking, I don’t have one at the moment.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Is it possible to wear an arm band over it to help protect it? - Just asking, I don’t have one at the moment.

Quite a few people use protective patches. Try typing Freestyle Libre patches into Google and you will find quite an assortment.
Cannot vouch for any particular brand - sorry.

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have had problems with the accuracy of the libre for the last 3 years, have been using xdrip and miao miao for the last 6months and it has helped but it is not perfect if the libre is not accurate apart from daily or twice daily calibrations there is not much more you can do, I have just seen my consultant and I said after spending the last 18 years trying to control my diabetes I am not happy that the libre let's me down so often, so we will wait and see what they offer me next my consultant has sent a letter up the line so we will see what happens

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I bought one from Amazon. It’s comfortable enough & does the job. I don’t use it all the time, just when the adhesive is loose & after a couple of hours it’s secure by itself again.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

I bought an elastic arm band - designed to be worn to show who was captain of the team - which fitted nicely over the Libre but was a bit of a nuisance.

I then started using Kineseology tape which worked quite well.
Especially if I remembered to leave some backing on the middle so it didn't stick to the sensor.

However for the last few I have just left them unprotected because they seem to stick strongly.

I am noting that the very latest ones may have stickiness problems so I may revisit this when I get my next batch from Abbott.

lorraine c

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi I had the same problem last month . I got in touch with abbots they are always helpful they ask you information which is all on your phone or reader serial numbers etc ,
Then sent me a new sensor with an envelope to send the faulty sensor to them .
If you don’t let them know they don’t know there is a problem with a batch .
Hope that is useful .
Lindy

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
HI,

Not had any failed to date, either by prematurely stopping or faLaing off.
I do fit mine inside the arm, exfoliate the area & shave any hair, dry. Clean with the alcohol wipe thing then if cold wam up & dry the area with a hairdryer? (I've worked with "3M tape" for automotive use & apply the same principe, making sure the area is clean free from grease & warm enough for the glue to stick?)

I use one of these holding a Bluetooth bridge over the top.? eBay.

Easy to remove for bathing or to charge the transmitter... I tend to forget it's there..

image.jpeg

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
maybe its just a blip clean arm well before putting on
THIS IS THE VERY BEST OF TECKNO YOU WILL GET TRY working with what we 30 years back
as i can see freestyle will always try and help out.
but like sending folk to the moon sometimes it goes wrong . and that billion of dollars
enjoy stay safe vic

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
HI,

Not had any failed to date, either by prematurely stopping or faLaing off.
I do fit mine inside the arm, exfoliate the area & shave any hair, dry. Clean with the alcohol wipe thing then if cold wam up & dry the area with a hairdryer? (I've worked with "3M tape" for automotive use & apply the same principe, making sure the area is clean free from grease & warm enough for the glue to stick?)

I use one of these holding a Bluetooth bridge over the top.? eBay.

Easy to remove for bathing or to charge the transmitter... I tend to forget it's there..

View attachment 44965
Yes I use these straps as well they work well, although I have nearly lost the miao miao a few times if I am not careful when I get in tight places or getting changed or even in bed, I beleive the person or company is in Derby UK who makes them

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Yes I use these straps as well they work well, although I have nearly lost the miao miao a few times if I am not careful when I get in tight places or getting changed or even in bed, I beleive the person or company is in Derby UK who makes them
There are some on ebay where the miaomiao clips into the holder and is retained there.. less chance of losing it

metalminions

I started a new sensor yesterday, and the needle broke off the applicator and was still in the sensor when I removed it! I then went through the steps to start it up, and when the 60 mins were up scanned it again, and it told me it was now starting and to wait 60 mins. Unfortunately I now have a 4 hour gap in my data as I'd gone out, and I no longer have a spare as I had to use my other one for the month. My GP got funny about prescribing more than 1 pot of 50 test strips per month for my meter so I'm not holding out hope of getting a replacement from them. Does anyone know how long it usually takes the replacements to come through from the manufacturer?