Really?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I find it very easy to have a LCHF eating plan without any meat and my blood glucose levels have been normal for 6 years after diagnosis 6.5 years ago.
Do you have a daily target for maximum carbs consumed? If so, what is it? Also, what are your normal bg levels?

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Do you have a daily target for maximum carbs consumed? If so, what is it? Also, what are your normal bg levels?
I tend to have somewhere between 50-60g carb per day, occasionally higher. HbA1c between 34-38mmol/mol. Started out with Metformin, steadily reduced dose, no drugs for last year.

Reactions: Shahnaz2357

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I tend to have somewhere between 50-60g carb per day, occasionally higher. HbA1c between 34-38mmol/mol. Started out with Metformin, steadily reduced dose, no drugs for last year.
My GP was happy when I got my HbA1c down to 42 last year but threw a hissy fit when I clocked 40 last week. Got a stern phone call by return, and he wants me to aim for 45 next time.

I can see no medical reason behind this, and can only think that when I drop below 42 then the NHS reduces funding for my care.

Well done on your impressive results

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP was happy when I got my HbA1c down to 42 last year but threw a hissy fit when I clocked 40 last week. Got a stern phone call by return, and he wants me to aim for 45 next time.

I can see no medical reason behind this, and can only think that when I drop below 42 then the NHS reduces funding for my care.

Well done on your impressive results
Did your doctor say why?
Mine is at 39 and the doctor was thrilled
I could understand 45 maybe for insulin dependent to mitigate hypos but you don’t fall into that camp. What do they expect, sugar eating? Sheesh!

if my finger tests relate at all, I’m probably below 39. But not due repeat until December as doctor wanted 3 months after bydureon

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did your doctor say why?
Mine is at 39 and the doctor was thrilled
I could understand 45 maybe for insulin dependent to mitigate hypos but you don’t fall into that camp. What do they expect, sugar eating? Sheesh!

if my finger tests relate at all, I’m probably below 39. But not due repeat until December as doctor wanted 3 months after bydureon
Yes, it was the likelihood of hypo's that he is sure I am getting at the lower level. He did not ask me what my experience has been and if I have had any that require assistance (i,e, DVLA) I asked him to drop my Gliclazide dose later on in the phone call since I feel ready to do that now. My bgl on a weekly average has risen from 6.0 to 6.5 in the 2 weeks since I stopped it, and I am starting to see it drop now. Happy with that.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
It’s really unfair to those trying to do the right thing. I don’t really like the texture of a lot of meats so if someone could come up with a vegetarian low carb plan that works I’d jump at it. However, I do recognise that I can’t lower my blood sugar by eating carbs so I need fish/meat/dairy. Does the eat well plate work for anyone? Or is the idea to keep raising the amount of insulin you need until you need a tanker to follow you around??
I was encouraged to follow simply carb based meals. My obesity got worse and worse. My IR got worse even with athletic amounts of exercise. Cardiovascular aerobics, swimming, cycling and jogging with a professional footballer. Yes the Carbs fuelled it all. Very rarely tired and even then had trouble sleeping.
OK my fitness supported my obesity but now I cannot do that amount of exercise my diet is the only solution with as much walking I can bare in pain.
We all get there, to some degree.
If I had had that low carb with the same calories diet I may hv been fighting my diabetes correctly. If only I knew!

Reactions: Oldvatr

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If I had had that low carb with the same calories diet I may hv been fighting my diabetes correctly. If only I knew!
So many of us, in various ways, could echo your "If only I knew!" But how lucky we are to know now! And to have the kind of temperament that goes in for exploration rather than denial.

Reactions: AloeSvea