Status
Not open for further replies.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the ratio of one to one is inaccurate.

A meta analysis of 172 studies across 16 countries and six continents funded by the W.H.O. and printed in The Lancet (https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31142-9/fulltext) What they found was the following:

The findings of this systematic review of 172 studies (44 comparative studies; n=25 697 patients) on COVID-19, SARS, and MERS provide the best available evidence that current policies of at least 1 m physical distancing are associated with a large reduction in infection, and distances of 2 m might be more effective. These data also suggest that wearing face masks protects people (both health-care workers and the general public) against infection by these coronaviruses, and that eye protection could confer additional benefit. However, none of these interventions afforded complete protection from infection, and their optimum role might need risk assessment and several contextual considerations. No randomised trials were identified for these interventions in COVID-19, SARS, or MERS.

The bulk of these 172 studies seem to suggest, social distancing and mask wearing plus eye protection is beneficial. Is there 172 studies saying the opposite?

I'm open open to what the science says, not the government, the science and at the moment the science seems to support wearing face coverings to at least reduce the risk.
I am taking the view that, even if there is a chance that the masks dont help to protect much against covid-19, they will help to protect against colds and regular flu, this saving lives by protecting from a double whammy.

Reactions: hankjam

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
suggest that wearing face masks protects people

Interesting you didn't highlight the suggest part..
But almost all the studies are in a health care setting and will be using surgical masks.
Few (if any) will be using cloth masks made of old t-shirts.
When the DANMASK study gets published , assuming it is ever allowed to see the light of day, we shall see.

M

Member496333

No randomised trials were identified for these interventions in COVID-19, SARS, or MERS.

Let's all hope that the Danish study eventually gets published. At the moment it seems to be getting smothered, but there could be a genuine reason for the delay.

M

Member496333

cloth masks made of old t-shirts.

Reused and kept in pockets and/or dirty surfaces. Agreed this is obviously against protocol but the fact remains this is how most people operate with their face coverings. I noticed while Joe Biden was evangelising about masks during the last presidential debate, he was rolling his around between his fingers in plain view of the camera :nailbiting:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All, this thread started as a simple poll, asking whether people were wearing a mask. It has descended into a somewhat pointless, and circular ‘discussion’ about whether masks/face coverings are effective. Very little evidence is being provided, there is slim chance of any of those presenting entrenched views on either side changing their minds.

Please stick to the topic. If the current theme continues, any posts not adhering to the OP will be deleted and the thread may be locked to further comment.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Yes, I AM WEARING A MASK, a surgical mask, and if I’m likely to encounter non mask wearers (grrrr), I’ll wear an FFP3 with a surgical mask over it so I can protect myself as well as protecting others.
I think the effectiveness of a mask matters; the correct wearing of a mask matters, and I wish there were better information about this for the general public, in all venues, in all public spaces, on social media.
https://www.pnas.org/content/117/26/14857
If I get COVID there’s a good chance that as an elderly T1 I’d die, or be badly affected by it. I’m not prepared to lay down my life because I’ve not worn the best mask protection I can get.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would have liked to cast my vote in this survey, but my behaviour doesn't fit any of the options. I don't wear a mask in the open air, but I always without exception put it on before entering under any roof not my own. In the street, park etc I take wide detours round anyone I meet. I only shop before 8am. I like the slogan that "the best mask is your own front door".

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I would have liked to cast my vote in this survey, but my behaviour doesn't fit any of the options. I don't wear a mask in the open air, but I always without exception put it on before entering under any roof not my own. In the street, park etc I take wide detours round anyone I meet. I only shop before 8am. I like the slogan that "the best mask is your own front door".

I do the same as you except I don't go shopping that early, it's normally around 10 or 11 am. I do the best I can and hopefully I will stay safe, which I have managed to do so far :)

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I started by answering a simple "No" when the lockdown was stricter and I hardly saw anyone.

I then changed it to "Yes" as I started going out more, went back to the workplace, and would now say "It's complicated".

I have evolved my own mask-wearing rules, on top of the current requirements. to suit my life, and I will stick to that, regardless of what others think or say.

Reactions: becca59

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Fortunate to be able to say that I go to one shop on a Wednesday and two on a Friday. Both pretty quiet. Wear a mask going in and take it off when finished shopping.
Wash hands on getting home.
Generally avoid people when out walking.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I rarely do any shopping. My husband does it. All I do is take the dog for 2 walks a day, avoiding others. For that I do not wear a mask. When I do have to visit a shop, hairdresser or similar, I do wear an FFP2 mask. I sanitise my hands before entering and again on leaving. I have an alcohol sanitiser at all times in my handbag. We also have them in our cars. My husband does the same as I do. We live in a tier 3 area in Lancashire, and even though we have been under tight restrictions since mid September our cases are rising.

Reactions: hankjam

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We live in a tier 3 area in Lancashire, and even though we have been under tight restrictions since mid September our cases are rising.
Do you think this is because people are not respecting the restrictions?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All, this thread started as a simple poll, asking whether people were wearing a mask. It has descended into a somewhat pointless, and circular ‘discussion’ about whether masks/face coverings are effective. Very little evidence is being provided, there is slim chance of any of those presenting entrenched views on either side changing their minds.

Please stick to the topic. If the current theme continues, any posts not adhering to the OP will be deleted and the thread may be locked to further comment.

A reminder, please, to stay on topic. There are several Covid-19 related threads. If you wish to discuss issues related to Covid that do not fit within the remit of this thread, please find and use the appropriate thread.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A reminder, please, to stay on topic. There are several Covid-19 related threads. If you wish to discuss issues related to Covid that do not fit within the remit of this thread, please find and use the appropriate thread.

But some of us are self isolating from at least one of the other threads..

If I say no, will I be labelled a denier, a super-spreader, or a co-vidiot, and publically stoned to death on Twitter? :rolleyes:
Who. cares what other people think. I don’t wear one, because they are completely unnecessary and furthermore they are utterly ineffective. I go in and out of places all the time and have been challenged once or twice but tell them I’m exempt which tends to shut them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.