Does fresh fruit sugar increase blood sugar

madsum

Dear all,

I got confusing information about fresh fruits. I heard that fresh fruits juice or fruits doesn't increase blood sugar or doesn't herm diabetes penitent. Even diabetes penitent can drink sugarcane juice without increasing blood sugar. I don’t know how authentic is this information?

In case fruits are increasing blood sugar, what types of the fruits are recommended for diabetes penitent? Also quantities of the fruits.

Thanks in advance!

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Berries. That's about it. Fruit contains fructose. The only organ that can deal with it is the liver. Your's is working overtime as it is.

Reactions: LaoDan and ert

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Berries. That's about it. Fruit contains fructose. The only organ that can deal with it is the liver. Your's is working overtime as it is.
Well in relation to fruits outside of berries: tomatoes, cucumbers, coconut and avacado are all okay too as far as I know. I think bell peppers and lemon too.

But yeah, most fruits are not good unfortunately, there's a reason they taste sweet...

Hotpepper20000

Dear all,

I got confusing information about fresh fruits. I heard that fresh fruits juice or fruits doesn't increase blood sugar or doesn't herm diabetes penitent. Even diabetes penitent can drink sugarcane juice without increasing blood sugar. I don’t know how authentic is this information?

In case fruits are increasing blood sugar, what types of the fruits are recommended for diabetes penitent? Also quantities of the fruits.

Thanks in advance!
If you have a BG meter you can test and see what fruit does to your blood sugar levels.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
One apple can send my blood sugar soaring unless I inject for it, though I do find it a handy hypo treatment if I think I will be low soon.... (T1 on insulin, though with some insulin resistance)

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
This gives a reasonably accurate idea as to carbs/sugars in fruits - it's carbs per 100 gm. As may be see berries are generally the lowest.
upload_2020-10-27_21-56-41.png

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
fresh fruits juice

And I wouldn't touch fruit juice with a barge pole, since it's just concentrated fruit flavour and fructose and glucose.

It can be easy for a juice drinking prediabetic to reduce their levels just by dropping the fruit juice.... (OK, you may have to drop some more stuff but it would be the first thing I would siggest).

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just had this argument with my sister. Despite my emailing articles and blood sugar readings, she still insists fruit sugar (fructose) is 'special' and good for me.

sigh.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dear all,
Thanks in advance!
Watch out for whoever is spouting such dangerous nonsense, they are trying to get you to kill yourself in a very nasty way.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
I have just had this argument with my sister. Despite my emailing articles and blood sugar readings, she still insists fruit sugar (fructose) is 'special' and good for me.

sigh.
Articles vs blood sugar meter
Which takes priority? Personalised care?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Fruit juice is bad news as it's concentrated fruit often even without the fibre. It's a serious mix of glucose and fructose. As others have said the meter will prove that.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Even diabetes penitent can drink sugarcane juice without increasing blood sugar.

I assume you mean patient? Auto-correct perhaps choosing the wrong word? :)

Anyway, just read that little bit back and consider.
Diabetes is an inability to handle carbohydrates, especially sugars.
The first thing everyone seems to do is to cut out sugar in tea and coffee before they get into the whole "carbohydrates" thing.

The sentence I have quoted above is saying that you can drink raw sugar cane juice because, well what?
It is "natural"?
That bit of advice alone should tell you that the information source is both unscientific and dangerous.

Fawbs89

Dear all,

Thanks in advance!
Haha I'm not sure where you heard this rubbish but any type of sugar fruit or otherwise is bad for diabetics. Example of I have a hypo and have no gluco tabs around I'll have a few grapes and they pull me out of the hypo ASAP hence they are high in sugar and under normal circumstances would be bad to eat in vast quantities.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, fruit does raise glucose levels. Put it this way, if I have an apple I have to take as much insulin for it as a chocolate eclair or a toasted teacake. Yes, I believe the apple is more nutritious but try telling my pancreas that. x

Reactions: EllieM and Robbity

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Unfortunately there is a lot of bad advice on the internet.

I agree with @Hotpepper20000 among others- test and see what it does to your blood sugar levels- you may have to test earlier than 2 hours to get a more accurate reflection as drinks are injected quickly. Seriously I also agree that this advice together with recommending that you not test is a way to an early grave or loss of limbs or eye sight.

Testing is something that has no biases and cannot lie (provided you do it properly) so that would be my advice.

Reactions: Robbity
M

Member496333

Blood glucose is the least of your problems with excessive fruit consumption. Fructose is the real bad guy here because it directly impacts the liver. So even if you could eat 100g of grapes with no glucose spike, your liver would be silently screaming. Juiced fruit is even worse. It's liquid diabetes.

Reactions: KK123

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
One apple can send my blood sugar soaring unless I inject for it, though I do find it a handy hypo treatment if I think I will be low soon.... (T1 on insulin, though with some insulin resistance)
Half an apple increases my numbers by 0.7 mmol/L (6.4, usual pp <5.7), for both post prandial and the next day fasting blood glucose (5.1, usual circa 4.4), and that's from a tree in my garden. As ever others should do their n of 1.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I think this may have been a drive by posting, as the OP still has only one post on the forum.