What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and birthday cake phd bar.
Late Lunch: cheese and a small packet of Cheesies followed by Greek yoghurt, strawberries and vanilla and raspberry LC granola.
Mid afternoon: coffee shop coconut cappuccino.
Dinner: ribs with Mediterranean veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@Goonergal -- The brand is Grillido, I looked for it on Amazon.co.uk, but didn't find it. So, it only might be only available in Germany.
@Mrs T 123 -- The website is https://simplyketo.de/shop/ -- this is a German site, but they do ship to Britain. Shipping costs are £10 per order, so still might be worth it if you order a sufficient quantity.
@DJC3 -- The bread looks really, really good. How did you like it?

Breakfast: A double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Half a DD keto roll with h/m mayonnaise and cheese, another half with goat cream cheese and turkey salami. A serving of baba ghanoush (about 150g). Half a fig.

Dinner: About 50g of cheese, 60g of turkey salami, a few bites of my husband's ribeye steak (about 30g), 20g of 88% chocolate, 4 raspberries, two glasses of dry red wine.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: ff greek with about 14 blueberries as trying to clear the fridge as we go away again today
L: 2 cold chicken thighs with a bit of salad, and 2 squares 70% lindt with salted caramel... the latter being a surprise find. Id bought it a few months ago found it too nice so asked boy to hide it and ration it, but somehow had forgotten about it and found it in the drawer in the guest room. Very nice it was too, glad it was the final squares though.
D: omelette with extra strong cheddar with soem very runny brie and half an avo on the side.
Late snack: a yes bar

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@Goonergal -- The brand is Grillido, I looked for it on Amazon.co.uk, but didn't find it. So, it only might be only available in Germany.
@Mrs T 123 -- The website is https://simplyketo.de/shop/ -- this is a German site, but they do ship to Britain. Shipping costs are £10 per order, so still might be worth it if you order a sufficient quantity.
@DJC3 -- The bread looks really, really good. How did you like it?

Breakfast: A double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Half a DD keto roll with h/m mayonnaise and cheese, another half with goat cream cheese and turkey salami. A serving of baba ghanoush (about 150g). Half a fig.

Dinner: About 50g of cheese, 60g of turkey salami, a few bites of my husband's ribeye steak (about 30g), 20g of 88% chocolate, 4 raspberries, two glasses of dry red wine.

The bread was good, it cut easily into nice thin slices and toasted well too. It did have that psyllium husk taste that all low carb breads have, and I couldn’t taste the walnut flour - I thought it might have a bit of a walnut flavour. Nevertheless I was very happy with it and will probably get it again sometime.
Edit to add you have a very kind husband to let you have a few bites of his steak - I think mine would just tell me to get my own!

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Haha mrs t 123 almond butter lasts only a very short time at my house... but it's good for a few months in the fridge...try it on the chocolate too!!
@ziggy_w uh oh I am going to have to go back and find my post about not tolerating foods!!
@Antje77 well, I added "Antje" to my recipe circle hoping that you're not the one who gave her full name!
Hi and welcome to the thread @Dan Rai !
@maglil55 your cake tin story made me smile but I'm sure it was no fun at the time!!!
@DJC3 forget whether I sent Paul commiserations-- here they are! And EEEWW Dennis cleaning pavement. And he's not a cat who would clean its own face!
@ianpspurs and Julie happy anniversary and many more!
@MrsA2 mmmm I can smell your brie from here-- I love the stuff!
Good night and good morning to all!

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Good evening all and happy anniversary @ianpspurs and Julie, and congratulations to all re the new additions to the P clan next year. It’s nice to have some cheery news.
Yesterday I made a different loaf from Dr Almond: pfalzer landbrot. The first ingredient is walnut flour. It worked well and made a good looking loaf. I had a couple of slices toasted with marmite and scrambled egg for breakfast.
Lunch was h/m mushroom soup with 2 more slices of the bread and butter. 1 DGF ginger cake.
Dinner a lovely and flavoursome IP dish https://twosleevers.com/low-carb-sesame-ginger-chicken/ with her Easy Asian Peanut Dressing and cabbage ribbons cooked with coconut oil, mustard seeds, chilli, ginger and turmeric. Very enjoyable and not a bit of cream or cheese in sight which makes a change for me. View attachment 44955
That bread looks so good

Reactions: DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The bread was good, it cut easily into nice thin slices and toasted well too. It did have that psyllium husk taste that all low carb breads have, and I couldn’t taste the walnut flour - I thought it might have a bit of a walnut flavour. Nevertheless I was very happy with it and will probably get it again sometime.
Edit to add you have a very kind husband to let you have a few bites of his steak - I think mine would just tell me to get my own!
Can I suggest that next time you make it add a few chopped walnuts to the mix? It may add more walnut taste plus it will improve texture. One of my favourite breads pre diabetes was walnut & date.

Reactions: DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the anniversary wishes yesterday, unlike Moonpig who refunded my money, as part was unavailable, then sent what I ordered today and gave me a £10 credit. Woke Ceased sleeping @ 4.30. B=Tea; 9.00 CWC : 11.00 am; Tea and 40 gms Dr Almond, almond chocolate (2-3 gms carb);. L Cheddar, mayo + cuc sandwich no bread Romaine lettuce leaves, more cuc; EM: Halloumi slices, cold pork and salad -Meh but used up leftovers so frugal. Not adventurous but I can cope with that - can't say I needed that much food. Functional/disciplined is enough until proven otherwise.. I had some pork scratchings at lunchtime. Crunch is good but they had pepper. A form of self harm, nearly ruined my day.

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Monday Bed 6.3 FBG 6.4. @zauberflote/@DJC3 - what was entertaining at the time was how comical it must have looked me trying to stay upright on a crutch while trying to catch cake tins with one bouncing off my head! Staff in Lakeland got in a mega flap. @ianpspurs - happy anniversary to you & Julie.
B. TAG and a slice of SLC toast with pate.
L. Nothing - chiropodist visit
D. 2 lemon sole cooked in butter, lemon & parsley. Mini cob and a few veggie chips. 2 squares of Godiva.

I have a return of vertigo again. Oddly it's just at night so it's back to turning very carefully in bed again. Thankfully it's not nearly as bad as last time I had it.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tuesday bed 6.4 FBG 6.7
B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with M&S whipped cheese.
L. Nothing - a lot of running about. After school run had to get DIL to her clinic then to physio (don't know how I managed to get all my appointments one after the other). Quick trip to Morrisons then back in time for school pick up then back to get DIL!
D. Air fried chicken thighs and drumstick with a paprika/chilli rub and I mixed together a cauliflower rosti. Strong Roots have started making them but there are 16g of carbs in 2 of them. So experiment has commenced. Mixed lightly thawed cauli rice from the freezer with parsley, parmesan, seasoning and some beaten egg (enough to bind). Made my "crumb" mix of almond flour, parmesan, golden flax and sesame seeds. Formed into "cakes" dipped in egg then crumb mix. Back in freezer then oven cooked for 20-25 mins. Think I'll need to use something like a burger press to get them to hold their shape and freeze prior to egg/crumb stage. Work in progress.
2 squares Lindt 90%.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Today is last day of cooking for eldest son before he returns to Dublin. On Sunday we had mimi roast chicken dinner. Monday was Bolognese with lots of red wine and fresh thyme, spaghetti for the boys, courgetti for me. Yesterday was h/m chicken curry. Tonight will be Teriyaki cod fillets with broccoli and spicy rice for those who can!
Can’t remember all the lunches but mine were mostly cheese, cheesey coleslaw and a tomato. Today is egg mayo with bacon.
We have been so unlucky with the wet weather though the boys have played golf through it. Great excitement Tues as son scored his first ever “hole in one”. It was lovely his Dad was there to share it. My BG is still a bit on the high side but hopefully will settle soon.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@ianpspurs the breadless sandwich-- just idle curiosity: do you use the cheese or the cucumber as your outer layer?
@maglil55 watch out for cake tins tumbling in the bedroom if you get up in the middle of the night with vertigo! How about muffin tins for your cauli rosti freezing?
We are still missing @Chook , and how about @shelley262 ? @Annb ?
Today bfast still in progress. I can make chocolate last a VERY long time while I do chores! Avocado, pecans, 2boiled eggs, so far 1.5 Lindt 90%, flax crisps/soy to come.
Lunch?
Supper maybe can of tuna, definitely spinach/hm dressing, flax crisps/dilute soy, probably pecans although no barre class so may not have a huge pit in stomach.
Trying to select my HelloFresh menus to have a protein& veg I can eat. I hope I will get over the roasted potatoes, because MrZF likes them and I am sore tempted!
Discovered yesterday that my meter is no linger supported with strips. Had to have DS pick up a new one+strips at pharmacy with prescriptions. Arrgghh. However, the strips are less than half the price of the old kind (which were not that expensive)-- huh. Does that mean they're less than half as reliable?
We are having the kind of day we'll see a few more times into December even-- mild, very humid, watery sun, and leaves falling like crazy. Perfect for sitting out eating the rest of bfast lol.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't worry about me. I'm still around. Odd food today and last few days - low residue diet ordered by hospital all turned out to be low fat, zero fruit and veg, no milk or hard cheese. Left me with refined carbs and soft cheese plus boiled or poached eggs. Fasting on water, black coffee and black tea from 12 noon yesterday until after my colonoscopy this morning. I made a salad to take with me to have as soon as allowed ... and left it in the fridge. So I had toast and marmalade supplied by the ward.

The surgeon found no cancer, by the way. Still don't know what is wrong but will have to pursue that with the GP - I'll see him on Friday.

Had my salad when I got home. Tonight will have to be sausages - I have a packet right on its use- by-date. Still have to go easy on the veg though.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Annb wonderful to hear colonoscopy results! Still frustrating with not knowing, but you've ruled out a worrisome thing at any rate.
You know, in hospitals I've been in they would feed you a high carb meal supposedly healthful (how can highly processed food be healthful...) and an hour or so later on a routine blood draw would decide you had to have an insulin shot. Go figure.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@maglil55 - thanks for getting in touch and thanks for your concern. Like @Annb I'm fine (and so are Mr C and the dogs). Fingers crossed that we all remain in good health as Covid is very widespread in this corner of Yorkshire.

I stopped posting because I feel that I don't really fit in with this thread any more. As you might remember, when I was eating a low carb diet my BGs were very high so I took a risk and started the 800 calorie Newcastle diet but with proper food (I decided anything was better than a visit to my GP!). It has worked for me so far with my fasting BGs now being between 4.8 and 5.5 every day.

sample menu - today....

Breakfast: Quaker Oats porridge sachet made with unsweetened roasted almond milk

Lunch: Ryvita with a little reduced fat cream cheese and a small fig

Dinner: spicy roasted aubergine, courgette, red onion, tomatoes and black olives with a 50/50 mix of couscous and cauliflower rice. A few strawberries.

Snack(s): my secret weapon - cucumber salted then drained, patted dry and then marinated in soy sauce (light and dark), chopped garlic, chopped ginger, chopped spring onion, rice vinegar and chopped coriander - amazing flavour and virtually no calories.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How lovely to see @Chook and @Annb again, and doing well. So glad for your colonoscopy all clear Annb and I’m really pleased the low calorie diet is working for you Chook.
@maglil55 thanks for the suggestion of adding chopped walnuts to that bread - brilliant idea and I’ll do that next time.
Today I’ve had a lot of coffee this morning and a lot of tea this afternoon.
Lunch was leftover sesame and ginger chicken with the peanut dressing with a salad of avocado and spinach leaves. Raspberries and clotted cream afterwards.
Dinner was a very small slice of calves liver, one Waitrose 1 free range Cumberland sausage and a fried concoction of shredded sprouts, mushrooms and chorizo. A DGF ginger cake and cream to follow.
Don’t think I’ll be cooking liver again any time soon. I found the raw smell very off putting. I didn’t use to notice it.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@maglil55 - thanks for getting in touch and thanks for your concern. Like @Annb I'm fine (and so are Mr C and the dogs). Fingers crossed that we all remain in good health as Covid is very widespread in this corner of Yorkshire.

I stopped posting because I feel that I don't really fit in with this thread any more. As you might remember, when I was eating a low carb diet my BGs were very high so I took a risk and started the 800 calorie Newcastle diet but with proper food (I decided anything was better than a visit to my GP!). It has worked for me so far with my fasting BGs now being between 4.8 and 5.5 every day.

sample menu - today....

Breakfast: Quaker Oats porridge sachet made with unsweetened roasted almond milk

Lunch: Ryvita with a little reduced fat cream cheese and a small fig

Dinner: spicy roasted aubergine, courgette, red onion, tomatoes and black olives with a 50/50 mix of couscous and cauliflower rice. A few strawberries.

Snack(s): my secret weapon - cucumber salted then drained, patted dry and then marinated in soy sauce (light and dark), chopped garlic, chopped ginger, chopped spring onion, rice vinegar and chopped coriander - amazing flavour and virtually no calories.
Glad to hear you are well and the change of diet worked. You have been missed and IMHO we all fit in this thread.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I am still hoping to fit in with this thread (even though I am going to eat a few more carbs than of late). Very low carbs seem to make things worse for my innards, so reasonably low is what I will go for. At least, I'll try.

Had my sausages - more than I would usually have because I was hungry and wanted to avoid much in the way of veg - just a few fried onions and a couple of fried mushrooms. Not full but I daresay I'll last out until breakfast.

FBG was 7.5, rising to 10.9 at 8 am in the hospital, then 10 at about noon. Took 50 units of insulin before toast in the hospital but it was 13.9 by the time I got home. Not too much concerned about the figures - it's not a normal day.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and salted fudge phd bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon black coffee and a handful of pecans.
Dinner: salmon fillets with peppercorn sauce and mixed veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a relative newbie, I find it very interesting what everyone else eats... no carb, low carb, slightly higher car, whatever.
All ideas are welcome to me
@Chook your recent changes are fascinating. Are you now thinking that is overall reduction, not just carb reduction that works best for you?

@Annb good to hear from you, and with good news

B: 2 eggs
L: in a restaurant , 1 courgette stuffed with tomato and pine nuts, 2 portobello mushrooms stuffed with celeriac mash, brocoli and roasted tomatoes. All very tasty but not at all filling... lack of protein?
Mid afternoon, nuts and 100% choc
D: burger (no bun) salad. Glass of rose