What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@zauberflote I opened the jar of Almond butter but I am not a fan - I tried mixing all the liquid stuff up but it is still too watery for me - prefer my peanut butter - will probably buy another jar and look for a non liquid one as I want to like it as it is not as high carb or high fat as the peanut butter. I will give it to my son as he is increasing his protein intake to get muscle in the right places like the young lads do these days so it will not go to waste.

@Annb good to hear from you with good news

@Chook very interesting that you are getting great BG results with 800 calories or less per day and I like your cucumber idea. I have bought a small chaffle maker (still in the box) how did you (the chaffle queen) make your chaffles again?

am - 2 boiled eggs mashed up in a cup with butter and a mug of earl grey

2pm before 3pm start - prawn cocktail, 2 slices of slc toasted with ham, cheese and coleslaw

8pm - 2 slices of corned beef, 1 square of lindtt 90% with almond butter on top. Mug of earl grey. That's the only thing with doing different shifts I will have to put my thinking cap on as I don't want to be eating later in the evening but I am hungry when I come home. Any suggestions would be welcome.

TypeZero.

Breakfast: 30g carbs porridge
Lunch: 20g carbs chicken drumsticks and corn on cob
Dinner: 40g carbs Spanish deli meats and potato tortilla + apple

Overall: 90g of carbs albeit I had a few cubes of dark chocolate to prevent hypos but they shouldn’t exceed 10g altogether

OzBlossom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Really enjoying looking at your menus! I'm still in ultra low carb/low cal phase for a while yet, but I'll play! ...

Lunch: spinach and mushroom frittata, green leaf salad, 2 x keto coffees
Dinner: chorizo and celery and radish salad, stevia hot chocolate

Net carbs: 16g

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Chook good to see you and hear you're all well. I couldn't do 800 calories for even 2 days so my hat is off to you-- very glad it works! Just don't be a total stranger plz?
@Mrs T 123 there is an old trick a friend and I used on peanut butter when we were eating no-fat 30 years ago. Fold a paper towel up fairly well, insert it into the runny jar (I think it's the nature of almond butter to be soupier than peanut-- all the jars I've had have been) and let it soak up what it will. Remove, scrape off, put remains back in the jar, toss towel, and repeat the process. Repeat as many times as you want-- I used to turn peanut butter into a sliceable slab and that was very good stuff indeed! Re getting off work late and hungry, wow I have no idea. On the late shifts, what time is your lunch break? Maybe eat very well at that meal?
@typezero and @OzBlossom welcome! How is coffee not keto to start with? lol

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@maglil55 you are contagious! I lay down on the floor for physical therapy after my bedtime snack of a few spoons of skyr yogurt, and lo and behold the room whirled verrrry gently. It's the storm coming for me I expect!
Goodnight and good morning all!

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
with doing different shifts I will have to put my thinking cap on as I don't want to be eating later in the evening but I am hungry when I come home. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Two bigger meals earlier in the day instead of 3? Ensure the last one is the one with fewest carbs and the most satiating / nutrient dense.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And morning all. Haven’t posted my menus for a couple of days.

@Chook lovely to see you and good news @Annb

Yesterday was early lunch (could see work schedule imposing itself early on) of small pieces of pork belly coated in salt and chilli oil and air fried.
Dinner was beef short ribs.

In between I finished off the remains of a bar of Lindt 90% and the dregs of a jar of almond butter. The discussion of almond butter squares earlier this week had led to me buying the ingredients for and making a batch. They are way too moreish!

TypeZero.

@Chook good to see you and hear you're all well. I couldn't do 800 calories for even 2 days so my hat is off to you-- very glad it works! Just don't be a total stranger plz?
@Mrs T 123 there is an old trick a friend and I used on peanut butter when we were eating no-fat 30 years ago. Fold a paper towel up fairly well, insert it into the runny jar (I think it's the nature of almond butter to be soupier than peanut-- all the jars I've had have been) and let it soak up what it will. Remove, scrape off, put remains back in the jar, toss towel, and repeat the process. Repeat as many times as you want-- I used to turn peanut butter into a sliceable slab and that was very good stuff indeed! Re getting off work late and hungry, wow I have no idea. On the late shifts, what time is your lunch break? Maybe eat very well at that meal?
@typezero and @OzBlossom welcome! How is coffee not keto to start with? lol

Coffee is not personally keto for me because it increases blood sugar so rapidly, it’s almost as if I drank 10-15g of carbs even though I drank a black coffee with nothing

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Coffee is not personally keto for me because it increases blood sugar so rapidly, it’s almost as if I drank 10-15g of carbs even though I drank a black coffee with nothing

That’s interesting, there was a thread elsewhere on the forum a while back, where some people said coffee/ caffeine raised their bg.
How do you make yours Keto @OzBlossom ?Is it just by adding cream, or butter?

TypeZero.

That’s interesting, there was a thread elsewhere on the forum a while back, where some people said coffee/ caffeine raised their bg.
How do you make yours Keto @OzBlossom ?Is it just by adding cream, or butter?

I think it may have to do with the way I drink coffee. I like my coffee black and very strong - I put in around 3-4 dessert-spoons of coffee and just drink it black

My mum thinks I’m crazy for taking that much coffee but that’s how I like it

Reactions: DJC3

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all.

It's really great to see both of you back posting here, @Chook and @Annb. @Annb -- Glad to see they didn't find any cancer. @Chook -- Great results on your low cal diet.
@Mrs T 123 -- I also prefer peanut butter over almond butter (find it a little bland personally). I order the body attack peanut butter brand, which is the best one carbwise I could find (7g per 100g). As to dealing with shift work, being hungry when you get home and not wanting to eat lots late in the day -- could you take some things with you to work and eat it during a break (like boiled eggs, nuts, plain Greek yoghurt, babybel cheeses, dark chocolate?).
Welcome to the thread, @TypeZero. and @OzBlossom.
@DJC3 -- The steak was huge and even my husband couldn't finish it all, but tbh my husband is always good at sharing.

Didn't post yesterday as I was way too knackered on two hours of sleep and lots of work (5 virtual meetings and loads of emails to answer and act on), but slept really well last night. What a difference this makes.

Yesterday ...

Breakfast (though can't really call it this since I started the day at 3 a.m.): Half a DD keto roll with goat creme cheese, smoked duck breast and cucumber. Also, hate to admit some champagne because of being frustrated due to short night.

Later at around 8 a.m.: Another DD keto roll with goat cream cheese and turkey salami. A double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Nothing.

Dinner: Half a DD keto with butter, cheese and cucumber. 20g of 88% chocolate. Later a bit of my husband's döner plate (only the meat and some tzatziki). Some dry red wine.

Yesterday, they've decided to close down all restaurants, cafes and bars (plus entertainment and hobby sport facilities) again starting Monday. So happy, it doesn't start immediately -- especially having planned to go out for my birthday dinner tonight. Really, really looking forward to it as it is the first time we are going out to eat this year.

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@maglil55 cauliflower rosti seems like something I ought to like but I just can’t tell anymore. I will keep an eye on the progress. @zauberflote the outer layer is the lettuce leaves - we are out of those but I'm not going anywhere to buy more. I will add some to the next delivery. @ziggy_w hug for early waking - I don’t miss marking until early hours then starting again at stupid O’clock. Winner for trurkey salami and enjoy the birthday meal. Many happy returns. B=Tea; 9.20 CWC : 11.00 am; Tea and 40 gms Dr Almond, almond chocolate (2-3 gms carb);. L Corned beef+ cuc sandwich - skinny bread, more cuc and leaves and tea; EM: Either mackerel and avo salad with flaxseeds - my choice- or sausages (Waitrose 1 ) and cauli mash with wholegrain mustard stirred through to make life easier for the Food Fairy. 3 grandchildren + her having bangers and mash. Never tried cauli mash and don’t have high hopes also no fan of sausages. It is what it is.

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Urgent advice needed:
I'm at a birthday and I brought batter for tuna melt muffins but now the oven doesn't work :meh:
They do have an airfryer. The recipe says 25 minutes at 350F/175C.
What should we try in the airfryer?

(I tried to Google it but I only get recipe results :banghead:)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Urgent advice needed:
I'm at a birthday and I brought batter for tuna melt muffins but now the oven doesn't work :meh:
They do have an airfryer. The recipe says 25 minutes at 350F/175C.
What should we try in the airfryer?

(I tried to Google it but I only get recipe results :banghead:)

I'll be right back. I have a converter thing!