6 Words

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
fb_img_1603795509491-jpg.44986

A simple 6 word quote that could help those who feel defeated, inadequate or down at times with their diabetes management, especially during these trying and uncertain times.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well quoted @Robinredbreast!

I've always considered mine to be just that - information - and am aware that higher levels can often be caused by issues other than food and beyond my control. We should always ask ourselves what has happened to cause that rise, NOT what have I done to cause it. IMO.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Well quoted @Robinredbreast!

I've always considered mine to be just that - information - and am aware that higher levels can often be caused by issues other than food and beyond my control. We should always ask ourselves what has happened to cause that rise, NOT what have I done to cause it. IMO.

Totally agree... it's data, use it for improvement and understanding. We should be gratefull that we have this information to assist us at our finger tips... no pun intended.... or was there? :)

Reactions: Oldvatr

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Blimey too many carbs for me.
Sometimes moderated to, Much too many carbs for me or even, far too many carbs for me.

Is another six words I seem to be using (a lot) these days.

But you are absolutely right no one should feel guilt over some thing that is not in their total control the numbers are a guide to hopefully better management that is all.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My numbers have started to increase over the last 8 weeks in a fairly linear way. Not had my annual check up reminder so phoned surgery to talk to the DB nurse. She phoned back quick and during the discussion she noted surprise that I test my blood.... even though I am "diet and exercise" and in "remission"....
Arranged for bloods to be taken 15:00 this afternoon.
Information is the key.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My numbers have started to increase over the last 8 weeks in a fairly linear way. Not had my annual check up reminder so phoned surgery to talk to the DB nurse. She phoned back quick and during the discussion she noted surprise that I test my blood.... even though I am "diet and exercise" and in "remission"....
Arranged for bloods to be taken 15:00 this afternoon.
Information is the key.
My annual checkup is once a year (no surprise there) except in pandemic years. Far too long to go without information (Feeling a bit like Johnny 5 there) For me testing is essential, and in my case and it seems in yours, it may lead to a change in treatment at the surgery. Or surgery to fix the change.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That's roughly what I say to random colleagues who watch me test, then ask if my number is "good or bad".

I smile and point out it's my business and the only ones I share that information with are my medical team. Oh, and my dia-buddy students. (I am their support, as they are not independent with it all - yet. My numbers are more interesting to them than their own. My numbers are used for teaching them more independence.)

Me and my students never use the "good or bad" words - we may not like what we see, but we deal with the information we have.

Last edited:

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
My numbers will occasionally elicit the words “Why?”, or “Yup, I shouldn’t have had that!”, or “Here we go again,” but they’re always information that I can use in the never ending task of trying to remain steadily in range.

Reactions: Robinredbreast
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Love this @Robinredbreast - it’s great to be reminded of this as 13 years in I can still judge myself if I get a reading I don’t like and focus on the reading rather than why and what I can do if anything :)

My number in years is the reverse of yours and sometimes I look at the reading and say' you have got to be kidding me' or 'For flip sake' is another one, then count to 10 and breath.