Very worried

respondicus

This is not about whether the NHS should, or can afford to, provide test strips on a permanent or temporary basis to non-T1 diabetics. Having read #EveryCloud ’s post, and so many more like it over the years on this forum, I wonder whether we could gather together examples of Healthcare Professionals who have told people that it is either unnecessary or just plain wrong to test their blood sugars. It is a scandal that needs highlighting.

Following my annual diabeitc checkup with the nurse and my finding my diabetes is unstable i was prescribed alogliptin in addition to my 2000mg of metformin. (I am recently diagnosed with AF and possible heart failure) and so on a lot of new medications. I was told by the nurse to report back to her if my blood sugars were not improving. I monitored for just over a week and found my sugars increasing, the last measurement I took was 19.6 and I am feeling very sleepy. I spoke to her again today and she now says I should not be testing at all (and that I shouldnt have been testing prior to our meeting). I am stunned by this one of the medications I am on is known o cause sugar spikes, at the moment my general health is really bad (on a bad day I cannot even get out of bed) my stomach is badly swollen yet she says I am simply overeating due to the lockdown (which I am not) To come back to the post..I am not happy that I know that my blood sugars ar so far out of kilter and I am also told not to keep a check on them either? Can this be right? I am not asking for strips, but the instruction is to cease from monitoring? Please advise I am extremely worried over this

Last edited:

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Of course you should be monitoring. She is a dinosaur, sadly there are a lot of them out there.

If you can tell us what meds you are on, it will help. What are you eating in a typical day?

And welcome to the forum.

Reactions: respondicus

respondicus

Thank you for the reply. Heres the meds. Ps I have also just been diagnosed with a chest infection . Lansoprazole 30mg, Tildiem retard 120mg, Ramipril 5mg, apixaban 5mg (twice a day) Furosemide 40mg, Amoxicillin 500mg x3, alogliptin 25mg and of course metformin 1000mg twice daily. Diet wise I have a relatively balanced diet, sometimes skip breakfast because im to ill to get up, but on average boiled eggs bacon in morning(not every morning could be cereals)
, maybe fruit/beans on toast lunch, dinner varied (tonight I had mexican chicken on wraps) I drink skimmed milk, water , hardly ever any alchohol, not even monthly...hope this is enough info...

Last edited:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for the reply. Heres the meds. Ps I have also just been diagnosed with a chest infection . Lansoprazole 30mg, Tildiem retard 120mg, Ramipril 5mg, apixaban 5mg (twice a day) Furosemide 40mg, Amoxicillin 500mg x3, alogliptin 25mg and of course metformin 1000mg twice daily. Diet wise I have a relatively balanced diet, sometimes skip breakfast because im to ill to get up, but on average boiled eggs bacon in morning(not every morning could be cereals)
, maybe fruit/beans on toast lunch, dinner varied (tonight I had mexican chicken on wraps) I drink skimmed milk, water , hardly ever any alchohol, not even monthly...hope this is enough info...
I dont know much about meds but a chest infection would raise your blood sugar levels by a few points. Do you know what your last HbA1c blood test result was?

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

well along with most people on here I have the view that you should test regularly . It is this testing that has made you realise that you have a problem.

Are you making any change to your diet? Do you limit your arb intake or your calorie intake ? Are you either stressed or ill? There are a lot of factors in the blood sugar levels we have and it is worthwhile considering the things that you can change.

This site is full of well informed people willing to help so a bit more information will allow more people to give some suggestions.

Good luck and welcome.

respondicus

Hello and welcome,

well along with most people on here I have the view that you should test regularly . It is this testing that has made you realise that you have a problem.

Are you making any change to your diet? Do you limit your arb intake or your calorie intake ? Are you either stressed or ill? There are a lot of factors in the blood sugar levels we have and it is worthwhile considering the things that you can change.

This site is full of well informed people willing to help so a bit more information will allow more people to give some suggestions.

Good luck and welcome.
Hi there, thanks for the reply.

Yes, I am ill at the moment with recently diagnosed Atrial fibbrilation, possible heart failure and chest infection. I have been feeling unwell for some time but about 5 weeks ago decided to check my blood sugar levels finding them to be 19.9. I hadnt been as careful as I could be with carbs (in part due to job loss covid 19 issues that we all are facing. So I sat up and reduced carb intake straight away. Ive been careful since with my diet. However my blood sugar levels have only slightly come down over all and seem to be spiking here and there. Its difficult sometimes to determine which of my symptoms are due to my other health issues because AF causes chronic fatigue as does type 2 Diab. I had tests done in connection with my heart issues 6 or 7 weeks ago and am still waiting the results, cardiology should have had them 3 weeks ago and during a telephone consultation the cardiologist was embarrassed to admit he had none of my case notes whatsoever forwarded to him, nor test results so it was a wasted call. Ive another 4 weeks wait while he tries to get it all together and slot me in potentially with a intention to have pacemaker/ablation op dependant upon tests and possible enlarged heart issues. In the meantime im walking around like the dead with some truly awful symptoms. My diabetic nurse has now told me that I firstly should not have tested in the first place and furthermore should not continue testing myself. This would leave me for a minimum of another 6 months not knowing if im having sugar spikes, or even whether the additional tablet she has prescribed has done anything. To be frank I will continue to test and record my monitored readings (its my body and I know when things are truly going wrong) I am simply astoiunded that she would be so insistant that I dont even check it because this is a monitor and test strips that havent been paid for by NHS resources. Im niot suggesting testing daily, simply periodically like once a week or so, or ,if particularly ill. I've read on many forums including this one about people being instructed NOT to test anymore, has there been a change in policy at high levels because this to me is an ostrich syndrome, most people the diabetes realise its implications on their health and want to improve their health. My late father had type 2 diabetes on his death cert so I fully understand where this may head if unchecked or not correctly maintained. I am prepared to do my part in my health improvement but I simply dont trust the diabetic nurse now? Along with all the other factors I have read that one of my tablets can cause sugar spikes and that it should be taken into account in diabetic people.

Last edited:

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been diabetic over 10 years and in all that time NHS advice has been not to test for type 2 (except where drugs can cause hypo, and even then outside of insulin it's hit and miss if you get prescribed)

Why they don't want you to is unclear. Maybe they are worried about hypochondriacs? Maybe we should ask them why when it's self funded

But some doctors are okay, mine is happy to test whilst I am coming off my drugs. The weight loss and plummeting hba1c to be fair did help. Whether another doctor agrees is different though. But gp are not experts, hence the "general", sometimes we have to train them a bit

But yes, it's our health and we can take control.

respondicus

Turned out I also had a chest infection, I was put on a course of antibiotics for a week and also had to have a chest x ray. In addition they have put me on Flecainide for my atrial fibbs. I have a telephone appointment with the cardiologist on the 20th of november (this month) so I will be having a conversation with him. Ive not been keeping tabs on my sugar levels until today. Earlier on my wife said she could smell keytones on my breath (that was about 5 or so hours ago, I just tested my sugars and it was 12.6 so its quite a lot lower than it has been, ive no idea what it was earlier when my breath was smelling though. Im going to see what he has to say on it. Anyone else had the peardrops smell getting really strong too? is it anything to cause me concern or do i just continue to ignore it, this has been happening periodically...thanks Brian