Consultant has referred me for a pump....help!!

dani-a

Hi Guys,

Just need a bit of reassurance about getting a pump. Been a T1 for 40 yrs, on Lantus and Humalog and have attended DAFNE.
I am reasonably in control of my BG's (around 4 to 8) and last HBa1C was 66 but do suffer with dawn syndrome....have elevated BG's first thing (can go up to 20's despite going to bed within range.)
I do have the more serious retinopathy (currently treated with Avastin) and very mild kidney problems, but everything else is fine.
I am a little scared about trying this new therapy, having been on multiple injections for years, and was just looking for some guidance from you all
Many thanks
Dani

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
dani the best decision we ever made was getting dylan his pump its been amazing we struggled so badly to get dylan in target with so much hard work but to no avail, now it doesnt suit everyone but its def worth a go we find life so much easier and dylan doesnt find it a prob carrying the pump around 24/7.

i would say go for it what do u have to lose we all felt daunted at the thought of starting pumping and it is hard work but its worth all the hard work when u get the results.

good luck

anna marie

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Hia Dani - I agree with the last post. I like have suffered with high morning readings and also frequent middle of the night hypos. The pump to me seemed like a last resort to be honest but since speaking to people on the pump, getting huge support from my diabetes team and the likelihood of my problems improving greatly I agreed to have a pump and have now been on it for 8 days. I'm not saying that the change is easy but you'll see my posts under the pump topic - my BSs are already much better and far more stable. I'm lucky also in that I didnt have to battle to get one. My GP told me if the hospital offer you a pump - bite their hands off. It's early days for me but im glad I've taken the plunge. good luck.

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
dani-a said:
Hi Guys,

Just need a bit of reassurance about getting a pump. Been a T1 for 40 yrs, on Lantus and Humalog and have attended DAFNE.
I am reasonably in control of my BG's (around 4 to 8) and last HBa1C was 66 but do suffer with dawn syndrome....have elevated BG's first thing (can go up to 20's despite going to bed within range.)
I do have the more serious retinopathy (currently treated with Avastin) and very mild kidney problems, but everything else is fine.
I am a little scared about trying this new therapy, having been on multiple injections for years, and was just looking for some guidance from you all
Many thanks
Dani

Hi,

Sounds like you'd do great on the pump, your experienced in diabetes and have done the DAFNE course.

Before i went on the pump i also had high spikes in the morning, in the 20's and would battle to get them down all day, most of the time with little success.

Now i'm on the pump i can adjust my insulin in the morning to tackle this morning rise and the dawn phenomenon disturbs me no more! :D

It is a little scary as it's something new, i at first was terrified i'd break the little thing, it really has become my best friend though! and a life saver!

Sounds like with your complications you would benefit from having the tight control the pump can give you. It's hard work, especially at first but completely worth it once you get there!

Keep posting any questions you may have and a pumper will be sure to help :)

josie38

Hi,

It does sound as if you would benefit from the tighter control that the pump provides. As you wear it 24/7 you can gain better control of the higher spikes as you do notice a pattern in your BS and can adjust the pump accordingly.

Yes, it is a struggle to begin with but once you get into the swing of it, you may think it is a good thing.

Really the only advice someone can give you is to give it a try.

Josie