First basal rate change

Janerd

Hi
My daughter went on the pump last Monday, all going well and settling nicely,
Only problem we're seeing is low blood sugars late afternoon early evening. My daughter has a horse that she goes down and tends to after school (this has been a lifesaver for her over the past 2yrs and has certainly taken her mind of her diabetes and other health issues),
The DSN suggested lowering her basal rate from 1.0 to 0.9 from between 2.30pm-6.30. I did this yesterday morning but she still went low (2.6) at around 5pm. My question is, would that change of basal rate had an effect yesterday or will it take a day to kick in, so I shouldn't be surprised to see a low yesterday? Other thing is she has a riding lesson at 2.30pm today and the DSN has emphasised that you don't need sugar for exercise anymore, but I have an overwhelming desire to ask her to have a gulp of lucozade beforehand, but also feel that we are then going backwards in treatment?
Any thoughts or advice pleeeeaassse
Jane
X

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
if it were me i would leave the basal and see what happens today the advice i was given was dont alter things on one reading if it happens again today then lower it again, however with the horse riding i would be tempted to set a temp basal to say 75% and see how that works its what we do for taekwondo and football set a temp basal for a few hours at 75% and see where that leaves us take note of the results and what u did and then judge if it needs to be different for next time. as for the giving some carbs i would again judge that at the time if dylan was like in the 4s or 5s i prob would give him one gluco tab but again its trial and error just take notes so u can adjust for next time and u will be fine :D

anna marie