Which glucose monitor?

naillig

Type of diabetes
Type 1
At the moment I have a Freestyle Lite. I do a lot of walking with my dog. Is there a monitor maybe smaller, which I can use as I walk along, without stopping ?
This forum is great. Had type 1 for 42 years, and I am still learning things on here.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
The one with the cheapest strips! (If you are paying for it yourself, if not, you won't have a big choice anyway).

I have an old Freestyle Lite - it isn't exactly huge. I use a USB Contour now, which is much smaller.

Testing your blood without stopping is impressive. I used to use an AccuChek mobile, which uses a cartridge motorised cartridge instead of strips, which would probably be easier on the move. Trouble is that it's big and the cartridges are expensive.

RussG

The TRUEresult Twist clips on to the top of the tub of strips, so they are all together and it's pretty small. The accu-check mobile has all the bits clipped together but is a bit chunky. I use the aviva nano, which is small. I think all of them though have the same problems with trying to test whilst walking. Probably the accu-check mobile would be easiest as the strips pop out of a drum automatically, so you don't have to manually insert them. The meter is not that much if you can get your prescription changed for the strips. DSN may have one going for free.

naillig

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks both for that info. Usually test on my way home, after a couple of hrs. Anything to make life a bit easier, while I am holding on to Freddie, my 17 month old border. Who has turned my life around for the better.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The Aviva nano is very small and a neat little meter..... however it is extremely tricky to test with any meter whilst walking so you would still need to stop for a moment.

Nigel

Fallenstar

Hi
I have the Accu- check , Aviva expert...it is FANTASTIC :D the best meter I have owned.
if you carb count it works out your doses. how much active insulin you still have working in your system from your last dose, and your carb to insulin ratio..it is great if you are a bit forgetful like me :think:
I think you need a prescription for it, but not sure, I got mine on DAFNE..ask your DSN. You hardly need any blood for it too!

it's not that neat a machine though but I have found it easier to use on the go ,as the amount of blood you need for it outways it's normal meter size, so compared to the small ones it's easier IMO when you are out because of this.