Passing out, newly diagnosed type 1

jazzyone

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been type 1 for 44years always well controlled. In the last year my sugars have been erratic, I've been told this is probably down to menopause. I've recently got a libre and have had to up my basal and reduce my bolus, it's getting a bit better but doing loads of scans

WorriedPartner

I've been type 1 for 44years always well controlled. In the last year my sugars have been erratic, I've been told this is probably down to menopause. I've recently got a libre and have had to up my basal and reduce my bolus, it's getting a bit better but doing loads of scans

I hope you get on top of it soon.

We've just been discussing wrongly assuming unrelated problems are related to diabetes, to turn this around, my wife is just coming to the end of the menopause, last year she had a lot of strange things happening, and what did we do (including the doctor), we assumed they were all related to the menopause, when she was sitting in intensive care we researched diabetes, it was difficult to get our jaws off the floor, the symptoms list read like her 2019 diary, she'd been to doctors 3 times in previous 2 months with obvious diabetes symptoms, 10 days before entering hospital she complained mainly that she couldn't stop drinking but was forever thirsty, 7 days later she complained that she hadn't kept anything down since, and was told she had a virus, 3 days later we went to hospital, within 10 minutes they had her in the resuscitation ward.

jazzyone

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

We've just been discussing wrongly assuming unrelated problems are related to diabetes, to turn this around, my wife is just coming to the end of the menopause, last year she had a lot of strange things happening, and what did we do (including the doctor), we assumed they were all related to the menopause, when she was sitting in intensive care we researched diabetes, it was difficult to get our jaws off the floor, the symptoms list read like her 2019 diary, she'd been to doctors 3 times in previous 2 months with obvious diabetes symptoms, 10 days before entering hospital she complained mainly that she couldn't stop drinking but was forever thirsty, 7 days later she complained that she hadn't kept anything down since, and was told she had a virus, 3 days later we went to hospital, within 10 minutes they had her in the resuscitation ward.
That's bad that they didn't test for diabetes instantly, my control is just a bit erratic, no where near as bad as your poor wife. Hope she gets in control soon. I'll be fine, I have had this for so long I will just muck about with the amount of insulin till I find out what works.

Reactions: EllieM

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

That's not great, but unfortunately, many of the symptoms of diabetes are also symptoms for other conditions too. I appreciate that's cold comfort for you, but it is the reality.