LCHF supplements?

Schmoukes

Hi - I’m 11 months into T2 diagnosis and a LCHF diet. I haven’t taken any supplements but have read a few articles suggesting you probably should if you are consistently on LCHF. Have you found it helpful / necessary to do this? I know there are many folks here who have been LCHF for many years. What’s your experience been?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Depends whether you have any nutritional deficiencies. I don’t think it’s inevitable that a keto way of eating needs supplements. I do take magnesium and potassium for cramps, and supplement folate as I was diagnosed with a deficiency. Until recently I was also taking a decent dose of D3/K2. A recent blood test showed my Vitamin D to be on the high side (although not dangerously so), so that supplement has been discontinued for the time being.

Reactions: Robbity
M

Member496333

I now take desiccated beef liver capsules. Mostly because it's not always practical to have fresh liver in the house due to its very short shelf life. Otherwise I roll commando. Food and bone broth.

Reactions: Schmoukes

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
sometimes if I feel a bit woozy or shaky I up my salt and take some magnesium, and increase my water

Reactions: Schmoukes

lucas1986

I always add electrolytes to my water - that's probably the main thing. The brand I like is Ultima Replenisher because it's sugar free and actually tastes great. But any low sugar electrolytes should work. Just make sure to check because a lot of electrolyte/sports drinks are always loaded with carbs...

juliahelen

Hello, I'm new to this. Diagnosed with lodo November 2021. The year before it was called diabetes type 2 and I managed it with low carb diet and just one Metformin a day. So that was my year of being very healthy. When I had to start using insulin injections I kept on my excellent diet and feel pretty good.
But I feel nervous with no support for Dtype2 low carb diet. Help needed.
juliahelen

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is there anyone out there who does low carb diet and type one diabetes?
I'd suggest starting a thread in the T1 section about low carb as your post is under "LCHF supplements" so won't get much attention?

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi - I’m 11 months into T2 diagnosis and a LCHF diet. I haven’t taken any supplements but have read a few articles suggesting you probably should if you are consistently on LCHF. Have you found it helpful / necessary to do this? I know there are many folks here who have been LCHF for many years. What’s your experience been?
I would suggest asking for a vitamin screening at your next blood test. I suffered some hair loss early on (probably hormonal, in retrospect) so I got a vitamin workup done and it all came back as rudely normal. So for me, a varied keto diet provides complete nutrition, although I too take a slow-release magnesium supplement to stave off the leg and foot cramps.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hello, I'm new to this. Diagnosed with lodo November 2021. The year before it was called diabetes type 2 and I managed it with low carb diet and just one Metformin a day. So that was my year of being very healthy. When I had to start using insulin injections I kept on my excellent diet and feel pretty good.
But I feel nervous with no support for Dtype2 low carb diet. Help needed.
juliahelen

Welcome to the forums @juliahelen . As @bulkbiker said, you're probably better starting your own thread in the T1 or LADA forums (yes we have a forum specifically for T1.5/LADA members, though they tend to post in the T1 threads as well.)
Would you like me (or another mod) to move your post to a new thread in one of these forums?
Type 1.5/LADA Diabetes | Diabetes Forum • The Global Diabetes Community
Type 1 Diabetes | Diabetes Forum • The Global Diabetes Community

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
My understanding is it depends on your food/environment and how your body is doing with being adequately nourished.

For instance, I live somewhere - in Polynesia - with big mineral lacks (for human animals at any rate) in the soil, but plenty in the ocean, so it is necessary to eat sea-food and fish to get your mineral requirements met. If you don't like sea food and fish, or are vegan - it would be absolutely necessary to take supplements, and many people do.

• Informative
Reactions: jjraak

yehonatan

Many people will say that supplements are not usually required, though electrolytes like Magnesium can be very helpful. I personally think there is a massive benefit to some of the vitamins and things, like regular high dose Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin B3, Alpha Lipoic Acid, COQ10, Vitamin E, K2 & D3. Humans lost the ability to manufacture vitamin C in the body from glucose due to a missing enzyme. Carbohydrates interfere with the absorption of vitamin C as they compete for entry into the cells, but in the absence of carbohydrates vitamin C has better access. Furthermore, a guy called Lester Packer worked out there is an Antioxidant Network that plays out in the body. This network is C, E, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Glutathione, and COQ10. If you take ALA it boosts glutathione, but these elements all recycle each other - hence why they are a network.

• Informative
Reactions: AloeSvea