Type 1, breast cancer and manic depression

Karenchq

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Help please, I am to have a mastectomy after a failed lumpectomy and feeling overwhelmed. Any words of encouragement are greatly appreciated.

Karen

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Help please, I am to have a mastectomy after a failed lumpectomy and feeling overwhelmed. Any words of encouragement are greatly appreciated.

Karen

Hi there Karen, I'm so sorry you have such a lot on your plate and that your initial treatment for your cancer didn't achieve the objective.

I don't live with T1, I'm never had to face a cancer diagnosis and am not challenged by depression, but I just wanted to send you best wishes and the most positive vibes.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Karen

Hi, I am so sorry to read about your mastectomy, my heart goes out to you. I'm sure you will get lost of help and support and though you may feel overwhelmed now, I hope things will get easier with time.
All I can do is send you may very best wishes, I will be thinking of you x

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Karen

Hi again Karen. Do you have a MacMillan Nurse assigned to you? When my Mum was going thorough the big C, her MacMillan Nurse was wonderful.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Karen

Hi there from one Karen to another (no, not that sort!!!). I just wanted to say that all of us on here will be sending you virtual hugs & best wishes because we know it's hard enough dealing with diabetes without going through what you're having to go through. I am sure you will try to manage your diabetes during and leading up to your mastectomy so you can try to be as fit as you can. It's hard to respond to a post like this because any response sounds trite and most of us have no idea how you must be feeling. Anyway, I DID want to respond if only to let you know we will be thinking of you and wishing you all the very best. xxx

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Karen, I'm not T1. I was diagnosed with T2 during my treatment for breast cancer. I also did not need a mastectomy as my lumpectomy worked. I did have the most aggressive form of breast cancer (Her2 +++) and apart from not having a mastectomy I had the kitchen sink thrown at me treatment-wise for almost 18 months. That was 7 years ago, and I am still here to tell the tale, so far still clear of that awful disease. I really feel for you having to manage T1 aswell as a mastectomy, and I hope you can find some comfort. Sending virtual hugs.

Reactions: Sad21+

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Karen, Prayers and blessings being sent your way.....truly a difficult situation to be in and then with all the Covid stuff going on, seems to make everything else even worse....I wasn't diabetic when I had my two mastectomies, but I certainly remember the fear, the anxiety, the questions, the waiting, the uncertainty.....but I did find people in my life who lifted me up with their prayers and well wishes - cheerleaders for my successful and leaned on them hard!

My prayers is that the surgery will be successful and that your treatment options will be clearly laid out for you and that you are given some breathing space to make informed consent and feel "included" in what is happening to your body.....not just another breast cancer case. You are unique and strong and a fighter - keep telling yourself that even if some days may not seem like - your own truth is so important in developing a positive, "let's get it done" attitude for your success.....whatever that may look like.

This year I celebrated 45, 35 and 30 years of being cancer free from the three cancers I experienced the 35 and 30 were the mastectomies....not boastful, just very grateful, and trusting that one day you can have your own celebrations while you celebrate your special life. Hugs/L