Type 1'stars R Us

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
New sensor day today so a couple of days’ calibrating to enjoy, not.

Hey hey, new sensor day for me too.. MM on charge aswell.

Probably just me. I tend not to have much issue calibrating the set up once bedded in?

The flu jab just up the road from me at the surgery is gonna be fun. Low cloud & hammering down in my neck of the woods..

Reactions: Fairygodmother

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll let you into a little trick that pharmacies have cottoned on to. Mrs Urb' is a nurse in a care home and when a resident passes away they inform the pharmacy to stop the deliveries of repeat scripts.

The pharmacy keeps delivering the meds for 2 to 3 months afterwards and because the home cannot legally use named and labelled meds for somebody else, they go straight in the bin.

I know this is a case of n=1 but just imagine how much this is costing the NHS if it's being replicated across the country.

(The pharmacy in question is part of a high street chain.)
I'm more appalled daily by the things I hear about fraudulent/dodgy goings-on, especially this year. If a letter/email to the CEO doesn't stop it I'd seriously be writing to my MP about that. Although judging by the dodgy deals done over PPE etc this year I'm not sure an MP would be moved to do anything. If those meds are charged to the surgery responsible for people in the care home, they may well be interested to hear about this?

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
Maybe today is some kind of international sensor change day. Mine is done today too. So maybe the next 3 days will be of questionable data. Oh well.

“Questionable data” beats “no data”.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Charge now at 91% for both the MM and the watlaa, how often will that happen: conjunction of the stars (hums the tune of The Age of Aquarius to get in the mood).

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
FD5A92E4-EAD6-45C9-9396-844BDBF4D8B1.jpeg
FD5A92E4-EAD6-45C9-9396-844BDBF4D8B1.jpeg
A drop of insulin fell from the needle to my iPad screenFD5A92E4-EAD6-45C9-9396-844BDBF4D8B1.jpeg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Afternoon, i was busy going through some paperwork this morning, then I did the ironing. The weather was atrocious up until about 2 o'clock, but sun is shining brightly now.
Boris is speaking to the nation at 4 pm, so I will now go and have a nice soak in the bath, then tea and listen to Boris :(

Reactions: hh1

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm watching the Six Nations matches - I've decided I will ignore Boris until I'm ready as I may well break the TV with a combination of 3 matches to yell at, and The Current State of Things.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Happy Halloween! I mean no offense to those who don't celebrate it.. But it's usually a fun day in the US with Costumes and Costume contests, Parties, and Trick or Treating. Churches in the past would put on Harvest Day Parties. There was a huge church where I used to live in Calif that put on a huge festival with bands and games and tents with crafts, costume contests and gave out candy. But this year I don't know of any doing anything that includes gatherings. Some states/areas aren't allowing Trick or Treating, some have rules in place but it's different all over.

Our state is saying no trick or treating please, but letting the actual islands decide. On our island because we have had so few cases, no parties but Trick or Treating is allowed for kids in family groups of no more than 5 and to practice social distancing. They are still pushing to do things at home like watch a scary movie, have scavenger hunts etc. We usually really decorate and have things that scare kids but we have decided on muting everything. Our neighborhood had a few places that really decorated it up. And all looks less this year. We have put up a more limited display across the front and will put out predone bags of candy on a table for the kids. to grab themselves. We had 500-600 kids last year, we really don't know what to expect so I only made up 300 bags because I don't want to get stuck with a bunch of candy I don't eat and my husband shouldn't.

We're not getting near anyone lol..................We will dump more candy bags on the table when needed, but I'm not going to monitor it. We have let kids just grab candy in the past and it mostly works out fine. You have a few, usually teens who aren't supposed to be trick or treating anyways (our island has an age limit, but not enforced) that are the ones that will grab more, but it's usually only a few.

I will miss seeing all the kids and the shrieking and laughing and the parents coxing young kids to go up and get candy. Hopefully next year will be different.

8669.png
8641.png
8639.png
8634.png

Last edited:

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, yes! got a bit of sunshine yesterday, not a lot but I'll take anything at the moment. I'd be happy just to walk under dry skies.

I always knew we were lucky with the weather during the first lockdown. I'm not looking forward to four weeks in wind and rain. Fingers crossed lockdown has an impact and the weather improves a bit. @LooperCat how are things with you (and your colleagues)?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love to go out for walks and keep active, so whatever it is, hopefully I can get it fixed. I never wear high heeled shoes, or squash my feet into narrow shoes either. As I have two bone conditions maybe that has somehow contributed to the problem. I hope you recovered well from the surgery's.

Robin - I don't know what level of access you have to your medical records, but I recently had x-rays on my hands, as I'd been having pain. I had the x-rays on the Thursday, mid- afternoon and a similar text on the Friday morning, when I was out walking for the day.

When I got home, I looked on my record, where I could read the radiologist's report, in full, so at least I knew what was on the table for discussion.

Would you be able to see yours (if you wanted to)?

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mornin’ all. Well here we go again, and yes, @hh1, let’s hope for a bit of dry weather. I was too late to Lidl to get the waterproof hiking boots, but I fear my yellow welly joyfuls will be having their days. I love the yellow wellies, but would happily forego them for some drier weather.
@LooperCat, hope it’s not been tough going. How are you?
Welcome back @chris85 type 1, and @Fawbs89, the ‘is the 5 going to descend’ feeling’s familiar. Hooray for alarms!

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Wind is seriously “up” here. There won’t be getting out on my bike today because of it. Swells out on the water are supposed to be huge. Will have to see how clean they are and maybe do that instead of riding.

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Maybe today is some kind of international sensor change day. Mine is done today too. So maybe the next 3 days will be of questionable data. Oh well.

“Questionable data” beats “no data”.

I know- we’re supposed to trust the “trend line” and not the “number” for a new sensor.

It would be easier to disregard the number if it weren’t there until the sensor was working properly.

We aren’t numbers. We are trends. We just need to be trending in the right direction.

Reactions: Marie 2

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I just hate new sensors.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sighs very, very deeply and tries desperately to summon up enough enthusiasm for the next few weeks. I'd devised some energetic indoor projects for the next enforced time at home... Except - as far as I can tell, I will be at work, unless I get ill or put in quarantine.

I've just altered my church's social media to alert people to the fact there will be no church services in the building for the next few weeks. (I'm waiting for the flak when people realise (1) that means no Remembrance Sunday Service, though in our bit of the world the war memorial bit is done by the British Legion, (2) because I'm still at work, I won't be doing any of the additional things I did last time to try and cover some of what we'd've done in church, (3) the nursery who use the church hall can carry on...)

And yes, my blood sugars are not liking any of this at all! Still, I think I've beaten them back down for just now.

Last edited: