Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
Long time ago since my last post.

I’m still wearing Freestyle Libre sensors on my leg. Is there any way to keep the Libre Link App open, and to let it read you values every few minutes?

I plan to but a new iPhone (my current has no NFC) to wear it in my trousers pocket near to my sensor. Then to transfer the values to an iWatch in irder ti create a ‘Glucowatch’

does anyone have an idea if this Libre app can do automatic regular readings without user action?

thanks!

Reactions: Todd1974

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
To do this, you'll need an extra bit on the Libre which will send the data to your phone. Once you have this installed your phone can send it to your watch so you'll still have to keep your phone close.

You can use either the MiaoMiao or the Bubble to transfer your readings to your phone.

Alternatively, you can use the MiaoMiao or Bubble with a Watlaa watch, which doesn't need the phone nearby.

I don't have experience with those systems myself, but @Jaylee may be able to tell you more :)

Edited to add some links:
https://www.bubblan.org/
https://miaomiao.eu/
https://watlaa.com/

Last edited:
Reactions: Hill28

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
Hi Antje, many thanks for your swift reply and help!

i heard about the miao, not about the bubble yet, i’ll check it out.

But as i am wearing te libre sensors on my leg, I think it should be possible without physical add ons like the Miao. An iPhone is able to read directly from a sensor. So if I wear my iphone and sensor on the same leg, it would be able with just the right software (maybe the libre link could even do a regular reading automatically without having to do anything?) or maybe there is a third party app that can do it?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Long time ago since my last post.

I’m still wearing Freestyle Libre sensors on my leg. Is there any way to keep the Libre Link App open, and to let it read you values every few minutes?

I plan to but a new iPhone (my current has no NFC) to wear it in my trousers pocket near to my sensor. Then to transfer the values to an iWatch in irder ti create a ‘Glucowatch’

does anyone have an idea if this Libre app can do automatic regular readings without user action?

thanks!

Hi,

It looks like @Antje77 has give some useful links to products that may help.

I use two of them with an Android phone.. An old Galaxy Note 4. (I seriously don't believe half the time you need to fork out ££€€$$s more than you need, to get a decent CGM set up.) My Watlaa one is souly geared up as a timepiece & BG monitor, don't expect it to read emails.. The watch is stand alone & sends to my phone.

I'll tag in @Brunneria who has an Apple set up with Bubble, who may also help? (She swiched from Miaomiao when her dog thought it was a "toy.")

Abbott, as far as I know to date (someone correct me if wrong.) don't with the L1. The mystical L2 may do? There is a "predicted" L3 concept that should be more integral as a stand alone with the app on the phone as a CGM set up??

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Antje, many thanks for your swift reply and help!

i heard about the miao, not about the bubble yet, i’ll check it out.

But as i am wearing te libre sensors on my leg, I think it should be possible without physical add ons like the Miao. An iPhone is able to read directly from a sensor. So if I wear my iphone and sensor on the same leg, it would be able with just the right software (maybe the libre link could even do a regular reading automatically without having to do anything?) or maybe there is a third party app that can do it?

Alas, I feel it's a lining up the NFC receiver with the sensor along with unlocking (at least) the "home screen?"
I'm not even sure is tag reading apps could interpret the data? They would just read the individual code on the sensor & wish an assignment on an action??

Edit; a crazy thought just came to me on the tag app. You could try assigning the action to open Librelink for a sensor scan???

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
An iPhone is able to read directly from a sensor. So if I wear my iphone and sensor on the same leg, it would be able with just the right software
I think this is impossible. Reading the Libre with a phone, like I do, means the phone needs to be positioned exactly right for a couple of seconds, not just be near the sensor. It also only reads when the phone is unlocked. If that's even possible in your pocket I imagine you'd be making pocket calls to every contact in your list all the time and get thousands of pictures of the inside of your pocket...

I agree with Jaylee on the phone, except for iPhone almost every cheap smartphone does the job.

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Hill28 ,

I appreciate you sport your sensor on the leg. I kind of get where you are comming from with the "stealth scan." Continuous update thing...

I can only offer my "user experience" on the matter.
I wear mine inside the arm. What I have happening is a bit "Freddy Mercury". But the tee shirt makes it less noticable.

There's never any harm in exploring bespoke requirements with diabetes managment. :)

With an app like XDrip, there are even widgets on the home screen & at a glance up to date BG reading banners on the lock screen. If I realy wanted I could get "sat nav" stile vocal reading of my BGs every 5 minutes comming out of my pocket...? (Or headset.)

... I just feel that is going just a little too far. o_O;)

image.jpeg

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
Thanks also to you Jaylee. I just checked out all the options, but I don’t really want to attach additional devices to myself. I neither like the sticker attachments.
So as there’s no possibility for stealth background readings...i’ll just try to get my hands on the Freestyle Libre 2. The most important thing for me are the alarms without actively scanning and I think the Libre 2 can do it right?

i live in the Netherlands (no fsl2 available) but close to the German border so I might find a delivery address there or something. I’ll also try to push a bit for the authorisation of FSL2 in the Netherlands as I think it’s a real shame innovations for diabetes are taking this long to be available in the Netherlands.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks also to you Jaylee. I just checked out all the options, but I don’t really want to attach additional devices to myself. I neither like the sticker attachments.
So as there’s no possibility for stealth background readings...i’ll just try to get my hands on the Freestyle Libre 2. The most important thing for me are the alarms without actively scanning and I think the Libre 2 can do it right?

i live in the Netherlands (no fsl2 available) but close to the German border so I might find a delivery address there or something. I’ll also try to push a bit for the authorisation of FSL2 in the Netherlands as I think it’s a real shame innovations for diabetes are taking this long to be available in the Netherlands.

I'm in the UK.. But @Antje77 is in the Netherlands.

The only person with experience with the L2 I know is @Wurst from Germany?

I self fund in the UK. Just wondering if you are so close to the border? Is it possible finding an apothecary/apothiker retail outlet tha may stock them? (I can hear @Antje77 laughing at my language.)

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
From what I read, Abbott only ships directly to customers in Germany. And you also need some kind of prescription or something from a doctor. So that’s really a shame.

any additional tips to make a smartphone do automatic ‘stealth’ readings in the background when placed over a libre 1 sensor remain very welcome. I’m sure my phone would be close enough in my trouser pocket to the sensor on my leg. Its really just a software thing that could be done I’m quite sure (unfortunately i’m not a software programmer ) I’d even switch to android for it:)

for the sensor on my leg: i place it quite high up (not too high though) and a bit on the outside. Its the spot you could take your insulin (which i dont do as it gives me bruisings)

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
From what I read, Abbott only ships directly to customers in Germany. And you also need some kind of prescription or something from a doctor. So that’s really a shame.

In the UK, they are on NHS prescription for some. My endo wont let me have them.
However, i can either order from Abbott. or buy from a chemist outlet. Though i do get VAT (Value added tax.) exemption as a T1.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
i live in the Netherlands (no fsl2 available) but close to the German border so I might find a delivery address there or something.
Do you self fund? I don't think you can get Libre 2 on Dutch insurance in Germany.
I've just tried the German website and it's possible to order as long as the delivery address is in Germany, although they do state that it can take a while due to great demand.

If I wanted to go this way I'd join a couple of German Facebook groups on diabetes and ask if someone near me would be willing to have it delivered to their place.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don’t really want to attach additional devices to myself.
Just out of curiosity, why not? It's right on top of the sensor so I don't think you'd notice much difference between wearing an add on or a 'naked' Libre.

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
... any additional tips to make a smartphone do automatic ‘stealth’ readings in the background when placed over a libre 1 sensor remain very welcome. ...
Have you enquired about when the Libre 3 will become available? Apparently it has already been approved in Europe. No scanning, with readings being sent to the phone app via bluetooth. The app will do alarms too, so no need for extra gadgets. The Libre 3 has been approved for controlling insulin delivery too, so a full CGM but at the old price. It is also much smaller.

https://www.medgadget.com/2020/10/abbotts-tiny-freestyle-libre-3-cleared-in-europe.html

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
That fs3 is the solution i’m looking for! I’ll try to get some info on availability.

Reactions: MarkMunday

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That fs3 is the solution i’m looking for! I’ll try to get some info on availability.
This Libre 3 is a CGM. My guess is you are self funding your Libre, but have you looked into getting a Dexcom? It's more expensive but it seems people are able to tweek it to get much more days than the official 10 out of it. This could be worthwhile for you. The Libre 3 is not available yet in Europe, approved or not.

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
With the evolving technology, I think it is not anymore reasonable to make a strict distinction between CGM and FGM for (public or private) insurances and politics.
The Freestyle Libre 3 is just an updated version of the already approved (and funded by national health schemes) FSL 1, that offers advantages to every diabetes patient and it is not even more expensive. It shouldn’t be ‘punished’ for its innovation by refusing funding for it because it would be classified as a ‘cgm’

With new technologies evolving, it’s not anymore evident in my opinion, to hold on to the old structures and to keep the distinction between cgm and fgm.

I will address this within my channels.

In the meantime, I’ll try to find a short term alternative to get alerts/alarms from my current Freestyle Libre. As said, i’m no computer expert, but it can’t be rocket science to make a phone app that does automatic background readings when placed next to the sensor. I just hoped it would perhaps circulate already, as I’ve seen more third party Libre apps in the past.

Btw i’m really glad i came back to this forum, getting many positive reactions and ideas:)

regarding the dexcom, i have to say that would really be too expensive for me personally.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it is not anymore reasonable to make a strict distinction between CGM and FGM for (public or private) insurances and politics.
Fully agree, but as things stand now our government has decided there is a clear distinction between the two, which for Dutch insulin users means the Libre is funded and CGM's are only sometimes funded.
Are you already involved with https://sensorvergoeding.nl/ ?
This is their Fb page: https://www.facebook.com/sensorvergoeding
Orriëtta Koster and Loes Heijmans have really made a difference with getting the Libre funded for all on MDI/pump, almost a year ago, and they're working hard to get the same for CGM's.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
With the evolving technology, I think it is not anymore reasonable to make a strict distinction between CGM and FGM for (public or private) insurances and politics.
The Freestyle Libre 3 is just an updated version of the already approved (and funded by national health schemes) FSL 1, that offers advantages to every diabetes patient and it is not even more expensive. It shouldn’t be ‘punished’ for its innovation by refusing funding for it because it would be classified as a ‘cgm’

With new technologies evolving, it’s not anymore evident in my opinion, to hold on to the old structures and to keep the distinction between cgm and fgm.

In the meantime, I’ll try to find a short term alternative to get alerts/alarms from my current Freestyle Libre. As said, i’m no computer expert, but it can’t be rocket science to make a phone app that does automatic background readings when placed next to the sensor. I just hoped it would perhaps circulate already, as I’ve seen more third party Libre apps in the past.

Btw i’m really glad i came back to this forum, getting many positive reactions and ideas:)

regarding the dexcom, i have to say that would really be too expensive for me personally.

I'm liking your spirit.
I feel in the interim, the phone you are looking for may need a decent scanning ability for what you wish to achive.. This is about tags. But it may help....? (At least point you in the right direction..) https://seritag.com/learn/using-nfc/nfc-tag-scan-distance-explained