im a bad cook and hate cooking
one limitation is
that foods have to be soft or
can be made soft with no equipment but cutlery
one limitation is
it has to be low protein

so then theres my taste limitations
which are soy and fish

i usually eat once (after fasting until im hungry to eat) and a snack if i need it to
sleep
ive cut fruit and grains out and higher carb veggies

so what does this leave me to eat?
keto wise i mean

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps you could take a look at the lists of ketogenic and low carb foods on the DietDoctor website and choose a selection that best fits your limitations.

Reactions: cdpm

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Side effects from medication
peanut butter
eggs
low carb veggies
hard cheese like cheddars

possibly--
cream cheese to try fat bombs
bacon
other nut butters

Reactions: LaoDan

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Any particular reason?

pork and beef cause me the runs
very badly
i can tolerate a bit of chicken tho
but its not very keto
in my understanding
a keto food has fat
as the highest macro?
and chicken breast has more protein
breast especially

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
if this is true
than an egg doesnt technically fit either
as a large egg has 1 more gram
of protein than fat
what is the definition of a keto food?
is it a food with more fat than protein?
im wondering so i can figure
it out for myself without the long lists

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@cdpm in my view there is no such thing as a ‘keto’ food. A ketogenic diet refers to adopting a way of eating that is sufficiently low in carbohydrates to put you into nutritional ketosis and switch your body from using carbs/sugar as it’s primary source of fuel to using fat.

The balance of fat/protein required will vary by individual depending upon their goals/ amount of body fat and so on. In your position with a number of restrictions about what you are able to eat, I’d be inclined to keep things as simple as possible - eating real, unprocessed foods with as few carbs as possible should ensure ketosis, if that is what you are aiming for.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
if this is true
than an egg doesnt technically fit either
as a large egg has 1 more gram
of protein than fat
what is the definition of a keto food?
is it a food with more fat than protein?
im wondering so i can figure
it out for myself without the long lists

"Keto food" doesn't really exist.. ketosis is a state of your body running on ingested or stored fats.
Restricting carbohydrates to fewer than 20g per day will get most people (almost all) into ketosis.
Once you have burnt off stored glucose the body will switch to burning fat and protein for energy 9some f that will be body fat which is why weight loss happens).

Meat and fish are carb free so can be eaten in any quantities
dairy cheese cream etc is pretty low in carbs
Green veg and salad are pretty low in carbs too

www.dietdoctor.com has a huge range of recipes and foods for keto eating.

Reactions: EllieM
M

Member496333

Agree heartily with @Goonergal and @bulkbiker. Nutritional ketosis is a metabolic pathway, not a menu. Ketosis can be achieved with a whole-food ancestrally appropriate diet low in grains and carbohydrates, or a diet full of processed junk and artificial sweeteners.

Regarding dietary fat intake, personally I try to keep mine as high as reasonably possible, but that's because I'm built like a whippet and don't have much of my own reserves to burn-off.

lucas1986

If you don't mind doing "dirty" keto, eating pre-made keto foods is a good start. And they're generally not too unhealthy if you choose decent enough brands.

Edited by moderator to remove content not in line with forum rules

Last edited by a moderator:

SMS1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you don't mind doing "dirty" keto, eating pre-made keto foods is a good start. And they're generally not too unhealthy if you choose decent enough brands.

Edited by moderator to remove content not in line with forum rules
Didn't know they even existed these pre-made keto foods.Could you name a good one? It's probably because I haven't seen one here in Spain or didn't know what to look out for at the supermarket.

Reactions: Carl13128

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As already explained there's really no such thing as "keto" food. All you need to do on a ketogenic diet is to eat few enough carbohydrates (and enough fats) to end up in a state of nutritional ketosis and as a result use fats as your main source of fuel. Which is what we should aim for as diabetics because diet-wise carbs are the main cause of raised glucose levels.

I'm getting the impression that "Keto" is fast becoming a fashionable money spinning fad diet. But nutritional ketosis is a perfectly natural and normal state for our bodies, and in no way do we need to rely on any special keto additives or fancy diets, just our personal balance of fats and carbs to achieve and maintain it. IMO.

lucas1986

Didn't know they even existed these pre-made keto foods.Could you name a good one? It's probably because I haven't seen one here in Spain or didn't know what to look out for at the supermarket.
I had a link in my previous reply to a list of about 40 keto snack foods, but the admin removed it sorry so can't help you there. Try Googling keto snack foods and you should get some idea though.

Reactions: SMS1

lucas1986

peanut butter
eggs
low carb veggies
hard cheese like cheddars

possibly--
cream cheese to try fat bombs
bacon
other nut butters

Big +1 for fat bombs. I don't eat them much anymore but used to eat them daily when I first started keto and they smashed my sugar cravings like that!

My fave recipe was this one by far: https://realbalanced.com/recipe/fudge-fat-bombs/

Also had a cheesecake one but I can't find the recipe, Google will help you though.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Quote: "Meat and fish are carb free so can be eaten in any quantities"

I have found this not to be so, we are all different.. You need to test for yourself just how much protein you can eat without kicking yourself out of ketosis. ie blood glucose will rise significantly and ketones will almost disappear completely. Takes time ,patience and a bit of money ,but its well worth the effort.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect that not enough fat is the reason for breaking down proteins for glucose and leaving ketosis.
I do not eat low fat cuts of meat. I have chicken thighs not fillets, and eat the skins, which are all crispy after being air fried or roasted on a rack. They are so much cheaper too.