Accu Chek Aviva Expert

TekW

Has anyone used Accu Chek Aviva Expert? My fourth monitor has just broken (constant E57 electronic error) and now I have no way to check my blood sugars and this can’t carb count :/
Hopefully my dietician can arrange something, but just wondering if this has happened to anyone else?

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Had my expert 10 years and still works

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can't you carb count manually? Even if it involves writing it down on a piece of paper? It's not a good idea to solely rely on technology for instants exactly like this

If you'd gotten in touch with Roche when you first got an Accu-Chek meter they would have provided you with a back up meter, just the Aviva so it doesn't have a bolus calculator function but at least you would have been able to test

Also I think you should be contacting Roche rather than DSN to replace it

I'm on my second Expert, I had the first for 3 years before it started playing silly, also its being discontinued in December so I highly suggest you start to manually work out your doses now in prep
xx

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone used Accu Chek Aviva Expert? My fourth monitor has just broken (constant E57 electronic error) and now I have no way to check my blood sugars and this can’t carb count :/
Hopefully my dietician can arrange something, but just wondering if this has happened to anyone else?

I personally don't use one, but was aware they were being discontinued as others I know do use them and there was much weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth.

If you have a smartphone, the Mysugr app has a bolus calculator as part of it. I downloaded the free version, then got a voucher to upgrade for a year, so the calculator works. I think I may have to pay after this free year, but it will be well worth it - it's been the most helpful bit of tech I've used and I am absolutely fine calculating my own insulin/carbs, (the calculator and I always agree to within 0.5 units unless I know I'm being very active before the next meal, then I over-ride the bolus calculator) and allowing for possible insulin still on board.

metalminions

But carb counting is easy? I count one unit per 10g carbs....

I wish it was! I'm on a ratio of 6g to 1 unit in the mornings, 10g to 1 unit for lunch and 8g to 1 unit for dinner, and that's not taking into account the different ratios for correctives! I'm dreading losing my Accu Chek Expert as I do rely on it far too much. Since I got it my HbA1C has dropped from over 120 to 55

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wish it was! I'm on a ratio of 6g to 1 unit in the mornings, 10g to 1 unit for lunch and 8g to 1 unit for dinner, and that's not taking into account the different ratios for correctives! I'm dreading losing my Accu Chek Expert as I do rely on it far too much. Since I got it my HbA1C has dropped from over 120 to 55
Right all your ratio information and correction factors down and try doing it manually a few times, it really isn't difficult no matter what your ratios are especially if you have a calculator, its always better to have a back up plan "just in case" rather than not have a clue what your doing, I don't even use the bolus calculator these days and haven't for a very long time

Fawbs89

Right all your ratio information and correction factors down and try doing it manually a few times, it really isn't difficult no matter what your ratios are especially if you have a calculator, its always better to have a back up plan "just in case" rather than not have a clue what your doing, I don't even use the bolus calculator these days and haven't for a very long time
I agree... Even if you have to change the ratios through the day... Something with say 70g of carbs in 70/6...11 units. Just example figures fyi or something with 40g in 40/6... 6 units ect ect.. It actually is very very easy..

Reactions: kaylz91

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have to say, I changed the batteries in my meter on Saturday night and have had nothing but issues, I too have received a few electronic error messages since, I'll let them know but I've just today changed my strips to get a different brand next month for my other meter so I won't be wanting it replaced, also have a tub of strips that are faulty and a lot wasted due to "not enough sample" even though there was plenty, different batch to the ones that had that issue in April so I will make them aware of that too, just thought I'd make you aware xx