Freestyle Libre/Apple Glucowatch

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
Some good news from the Netherlands, as I just heard that the Freestyle Libre 2 will be available soon here.

Apparently the Dutch rules for new devices are stricter than in other EU countries. This is why the Netherlands is lagging behind with introduction of new devices (at least with the Libre). This means also that the FS3 will not be introduced in the Netherlands for the time being, and it will be available in other EU countries first. No info yet on when that will be though.

The Dutch law on medical devices has only just been amended, so no room for a change there at the moment. Unless the amendments have included something on this issue. Still have to check out what they changed.

Regarding the possible funding for fsl 2 in the Netherlands, i’ll look into that as said. Best to make efforts from different perspectives, like we also did when pushing for the FSL 1 to be funded for all diabetes type 1 patients.

Last edited:

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
From what ai found on the internet, the FSL 2 is being marketed as a flash reading system, which means it will be covered by the basic insurance in countries where the FSL 1 is funded as well.

So that’s great. Only bad thing is that the FSL 3 will take ages to be released in my country or might even not get a release at all...anyway, i’ll be glad with the high/low alarms the fsl2 provides. Means at least I won’t have to set up my phone alarm anymore, every single night to check on my value..

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Means at least I won’t have to set up my phone alarm anymore, every single night to check on my value..
If you need alarms to check your bg during the night, wouldn't you be better off with one of the add-ons like Bubble or MiaoMiao?
May I ask why you're so opposed to those?

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
Of course;) I just don’t like to have medical devices on my body. The libre sticker is for me just acceptable as its size is small and it doesn’t scream ‘medical device’ all over. A pump for example, or even the dexcom sensor I find too large. It might seem a bit weird, but just don’t like it... i just want to be normal and not have ‘diabetic’ written on my forehead. (Thats exaggerating but it feels like that)

I’m also a goalkeeper, which is no problem with the libre, but adding more attachments to it could be problematic.

I really hope the fsl3 will be released eventually in my country as it will be even smaller and fully functional. For such a thing i’d even pay it myself.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The libre sticker is for me just acceptable as its size is small and it doesn’t scream ‘medical device’ all over.
Have you checked out how small the add ons are? They do not really increase the size of your Libre by much.