Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
Hi All,
Have just started using the libre and sensors after watching comments about the device on this site for quite a few years. I’ve just become eligible for a free libre and sensors which was the main reason for delay, I was quite happy with my blood testing and using the same app for many years to calculate my doses.

However I read in all the details supplied with the Libre that if you carb count you should blood test and I don’t ever recall reading on this site of anyone doing this, everyone seemed to just talk about the sensor.

Does anyone just use the sensor reading to then calculate the required fast acting dose?

Cheers
David
Australia
Type 1 30 years
MDI (DAFNE graduate)
NovoRapid and Toujeo

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
... I read in all the details supplied with the Libre that if you carb count you should blood test and I don’t ever recall reading on this site of anyone doing this, everyone seemed to just talk about the sensor.

Does anyone just use the sensor reading to then calculate the required fast acting dose? ...
A dose based on the amount of carbs will only have the desired effect if blood glucose in the target range before the meal. People test before meals to see if an extra correction bolus is required or whether dosage should be reduced because blood glucose is below the target level. Pre-meal readings are usually used to adjust dosage if necessary. I do this before every meal.

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
A dose based on the amount of carbs will only have the desired effect if blood glucose in the target range before the meal. People test before meals to see if an extra correction bolus is required or whether dosage should be reduced because blood glucose is below the target level. Pre-meal readings are usually used to adjust dosage if necessary. I do this before every meal.

thanks, that makes sense.

Reactions: MarkMunday

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Does anyone just use the sensor reading to then calculate the required fast acting dose?

Many people do, if the libre and that sensor is working well for them. It is extremely accurate for some, less so for others. If you start out by checking its readings against your meter (remember you should check blood readings against the libre reading 15 minutes after the blood test) and you find it's accurate for your body, then you can cut down on the blood testing....

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
Many people do, if the libre and that sensor is working well for them. It is extremely accurate for some, less so for others. If you start out by checking its readings against your meter (remember you should check blood readings against the libre reading 15 minutes after the blood test) and you find it's accurate for your body, then you can cut down on the blood testing....

good plan, many thanks.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I still test before each meal as even 1mmol can make the difference of an extra half unit etc
xx

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I rarely test at all. Just in the first couple of days of a new one to gauge how accurate it is. I will test if particularly high or low before taking action. But never bother before meals as I am usually I range. At 3 this morning I scanned-13.3. Did an immediate blood test-13.2. I am fortunate for the accuracy.

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
I still test before each meal as even 1mmol can make the difference of an extra half unit etc
xx

I agree that testing does allow you to more accurately calculate your dose, it was just that on this site I had not read any posts from people who did test using the Libre so it was a surprise to read this in the material that came with the Libre. Mark’s suggestion that might not need to test if BGL is in range and stable is worth noting.

Thanks for your feedback.

David

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
I rarely test at all. Just in the first couple of days of a new one to gauge how accurate it is. I will test if particularly high or low before taking action. But never bother before meals as I am usually I range. At 3 this morning I scanned-13.3. Did an immediate blood test-13.2. I am fortunate for the accuracy.

Hopefully I’ll be consistently accurate as well. Thanks for your feedback.

David