Medtronic 640--issue with high BG after set change

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi good folks hope you are all keeping safe and well

I use a Medtronic 640 pump and have noticed that for the past 4/5 changes I have made to infusion set, my BG's shoot way up before finally settling down after about 8 hours. Today I went from BG of 6.7 around 11.30 to over 14 after set change and lunch. Chucked in temp basal for 2 hours at 150% and took an extra 10 units of Bolus. Its finally starting to come down, now at 7.3. Anyone else experience a similar issue ?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @smc4761 yes I get the same sometimes, I’ve put it down to a bad site, I always prime the set well so it can’t be that but think the insulin is pooling under the skin hence the rise, unfortunately apart from doing what your doing or changing to a new set there isn’t anything else you can do, for me it turns into rage bolusing to fight the rise but then a careful eye for when things fall, oddly enough I changed tonight and am already hitting 11 so might be a late night :(

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
Hi, Exactly the same for me too. I use a Tandem t:slim 2, but it is nothing to do with the pump. Like you I am meticulous about priming the cannula set.

I am certain it is all down to the place that I put the cannula. I also believe that the insulin pools before it reaches a "tipping point" and I get a sudden drop in my levels. In fact it is 2:42am now and I am seeing exactly the same thing happen. My levels have reached 20.2 and are now starting to plummet. It will probably be a wild ride until they settle down. Sigh!

Good luck.

Reactions: smc4761

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that talk with their mouths full of food.
Happens with my 670g even with a well primed cannula. Often I have to do a couple of significant recovery doses to get me back to range. But I do give it chance to settle as I'm sure there's swelling when a new cannula goes in which might impede good flow initially?

asa35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, Exactly the same for me too. I use a Tandem t:slim 2, but it is nothing to do with the pump. Like you I am meticulous about priming the cannula set.

I am certain it is all down to the place that I put the cannula. I also believe that the insulin pools before it reaches a "tipping point" and I get a sudden drop in my levels. In fact it is 2:42am now and I am seeing exactly the same thing happen. My levels have reached 20.2 and are now starting to plummet. It will probably be a wild ride until they settle down. Sigh!

Good luck.
Hi Capt-Slog I too get very high BG's after doing a set change; I read some other posts of people saying they went high but was thinking I must have issues because I get up to the 20's!!! I get very frustrated / angry but eventually realise it's not helping. I'm sure I shouldn't be getting this high though - I usually change sets about 8.00pm, do you think this is too late in the evening? Do you have this issue frequently or just occasionally?

Camracebear

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Good luck.

Hi everyone,
This is my first post.I used a 640G for 4 years til early this year when I switched to a Tandem T-Slim X2.(With Libre sensors).
I think it's a better pump than the Medtronic,and I'm glad I switched.It's really only this year that I've realized that despite priming the cannula,I also go high for several hours after a set change,and the cause is the SET CHANGE itself,not the other common factors like a heavy carb meal,tiredness,stress,etc that often contribute to high BGs.Bit of an eye-opener to see that others also experience this!
It would be great if someone could explain their ways to counteract this phenomenon and avoid several hours of high BGs.
I suppose an obvious one is not to do a set change right before bed...What else?!...

Camracebear

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yep I get this every time and it’s making me re think the pump as it’s very frustrating
Do you have a procedure to deal with this?
I think the new site is a particular factor.I'm tending to give myself a 2hr boost of 25-30% or so to stop levels going up too
much (typically 14-18mm or so).Hard to be exact about this though...

Nometype1andproud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I also set a temp bolus of around 150% for at least 2 hrs but will still go mega high for up to 8 hrs in fact I have had to inject a back up dose via pen recently as I become very insulin resistant once it gets too high and.the problem increases.

james555

I have the same problem after set chance always high blood sugars I use the medtronic mio does anyone think if I went to Medtronic mio advanced it would be better

Vs39

Hi, I’m also experiencing this, wasn’t a problem until very recently. I also keep getting ‘blocked insulin flow’ alerts. Today I’ve had enough and taken out the old site and the new site and just inserted another new cannula. I changed my pump 9am this morning abs it’s now 5.30pm, just another day of **** readings. It’s actually really getting me down. I’ve been on the pump for around 10 years but seriously considering going back to the pen at this rate. Medtronic were not particularly helpful and I’ve no idea when I’ll next get seen by my consultant. Sorry feeling a bit sorry for myself today.