Help from experienced type 1

SareN

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone

I hate that I'm writing this post on my birthday after months of great control.

My insulin requirements seem to have gone ott since I had a filling at the dentist last week.

I feel like insulin just doesn't want to work for me anymore. I am taking 1.5 times the amount of bolus that I needed before and I feel like my basal doesn't do what it did before.

Fasting was always late 4's....this morning 6.7 and rising. Does the honeymoon end so fast? Or do dental injections affect blood sugar for data after?

My figures aren't horrendous but definitely not as good as before.....what am I doing wrong?

Any help greatly appreciated

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m not experienced type 1 ... but just to say happy birthday:) fasting bs of 6.7 doesn’t sounded too bad to me. I’m about 3 or 4 years into diagnosis. I used to see 4and 5 fasting bs but it’s higher now. I’ve been gradually increasing my basal insulin based on my morning reading.

Last edited:
Reactions: SareN

SareN

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Perhaps Worth adding im trying for a baby so after tight control

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there

Anaesthetic shouldn't really effect your BG at all and it never has mine, nor did having 3 teeth out in one go

Yes the honeymoon period really can end so abruptly, mines did over Christmas in 2018, back then I was only needing 1 unit of basal, its currently 21 I require now

The time changing can also have an impact on some, I suggest you do a basal test to see if it needs increasing and if that's not the issue then work on your bolus ratios
xx

Reactions: SareN and michita

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I also run my BS's in the late 4's. Since it's fine-tuning, you are more sensitive to illness, so it could be the stress and fighting off infection from your dental work causing the problem. Fingers crossed you'll be back to your normal routine in a jiffy.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone

I hate that I'm writing this post on my birthday after months of great control.

My insulin requirements seem to have gone ott since I had a filling at the dentist last week.

I feel like insulin just doesn't want to work for me anymore. I am taking 1.5 times the amount of bolus that I needed before and I feel like my basal doesn't do what it did before.

Fasting was always late 4's....this morning 6.7 and rising. Does the honeymoon end so fast? Or do dental injections affect blood sugar for data after?

My figures aren't horrendous but definitely not as good as before.....what am I doing wrong?

Any help greatly appreciated

Hi, yes, your dental treatment may well be affecting your levels & requirements, it could be part of your gum healing for example. Or it could be that you are coming to the end of your honeymoon. Or it could be that there is T in the day of the week. Or stress or a change of diet or anything really. I can't advise in any capacity and a 6.7 in the morning for a type 1 is good anyway. But, many people do like to keep tight control and providing it can be done in a safe (non hypo or hyper) way then basal & bolus can be used to keep it within the targets you are setting yourself. I say this with a great deal of caution because my team look at me askance when I say I prefer to be in the 5s!!! (I do check & check and have a libre too btw). x

SareN

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the comments, so good to hear from those with experience.
I know I probably sound so dramatic but to go from fasting bloods of 4.5 etc to suddenly 6.7 freaks me out.
I am only on 8 units levemir as basal so suspect that needs increasing. Bolus is 1 to 10 ratio but for example this morning I needed 1.5 units bolus before even attempting breakfast as I just kept rising.
I keep thinking am I getting ill? But feel fine. Maybe it was the dental work. Ill see what tomorrow is like.
I hate calling the diabetes nurses as they are so "one size fits all" and dont really listen to what you are saying

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the comments, so good to hear from those with experience.
I know I probably sound so dramatic but to go from fasting bloods of 4.5 etc to suddenly 6.7 freaks me out.
I am only on 8 units levemir as basal so suspect that needs increasing. Bolus is 1 to 10 ratio but for example this morning I needed 1.5 units bolus before even attempting breakfast as I just kept rising.
I keep thinking am I getting ill? But feel fine. Maybe it was the dental work. Ill see what tomorrow is like.
I hate calling the diabetes nurses as they are so "one size fits all" and dont really listen to what you are saying

I can pretty much guarantee that your nurses will have no idea what you are calling them for. They will look at your 6.7, then at each other and that all knowing smirk will cross their faces. I like my own team but know there is no point talking to them about a 'rise' to 6.7, that number is well within target by anbody's standards. I know you are trying to attain non diabetic numbers but you are NOT a non diabetic, your pancreas is not working like a non diabetics pancreas. You are doing great. x

SareN

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I can pretty much guarantee that your nurses will have no idea what you are calling them for. They will look at your 6.7, then at each other and that all knowing smirk will cross their faces. I like my own team but know there is no point talking to them about a 'rise' to 6.7, that number is well within target by anbody's standards. I know you are trying to attain non diabetic numbers but you are NOT a non diabetic, your pancreas is not working like a non diabetics pancreas. You are doing great. x
Thank you, like I say I know im probably being a bit of a drama queen.....I just want to do my absolute best to be in the best position to get pregnant and days like today make me feel pretty rubbish. Especially on my birthday.
I appreciate so much the reality check that people in this group give me....so hard being surrounded by non diabetics who just don't get the anxiety I experience.
I love the support I get in this group and understand I am diabetic, I just want to do the best I can to maintain good control xxx

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Please be careful, running and waking in the 4's can actually cause you to lose hypo awareness, I've been there a few times in my 4 years and it isn't nice xx

SareN

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks and yes I understand the concern of losing hypo awareness. Its only my fasting that is sometimes in the late 4's, during the day I aim for 5's and 6's before meals. I have a CGM so can deal with a hypo before it happens....otherwise I wouldn't be able to do the tight control because of the fear of hypos.
I do start to feel shaky in the low 4's but I rarely get there now.

Reactions: KK123

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Hi @SareN, you say you keep rising from the 6.7. Do you have just one injection of Levemir per day? Most people use Levemir twice a day as it’s designed to cover less than 24 hours. If your honeymoon’s coming to an end it may be that you’ve less of your own insulin now to bridge the gap. It’s only a possibility. I agree that a 6.7 is a good reading, but if it keeps on rising it’s a bit of a meh.
Good luck with the baby-trying.

SareN

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes levemir just one dose of 8 units at 9pm. I've heard about the need for a split dose and wonder if that is the issue.
I'm going to see what it's like over the next few days and if I have the same issue, I'm going to call the nurse to discuss.
The 6.7 fasting as an isolated thing doesn't concern me but it is the fact that it just kept rising and I needed to bolus to control it.