Hi- newly diagnosed T2

Dubs52

Hi, I have recently been diagnosed as T2 with a reading of 105. I was given Gliclazide to take and within a couple of days my eyesight went really blurred so have been moved to Metformin.
I’m looking for recipies and ideas for what is going to be my new normal.
Looking forward to meeting everyone

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome the the forum.

Read the link in my signature. It will take some time for your eyes to settle, don't worry. Have a look at dietdoctor.com. There are plenty of tips we can give you when you are ready.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

You have found the best place in the world for diabetics. Read around there is a lot of information on this site.

The first thing I would recommend is to test your levels- if you don't test you don't know what your levels are doing. I assume that some you were on Glicazide that you have a meter- if not you should get one.

If you are only on metformin you can start dramatically decreasing the amount of carbs you eat. it isn't just sugars- it's all carbs. people take different approaches to it- some like me dramatically cut their carb intake (less than 20 grams a day and usually much less) others reduce them steadily until their meter tells them that ther=ir body can handle the level of carbs they are eating. You just need to work out what you want to do.

The best link I found was;
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/

It's a great place to start.

Good luck and welcome.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I have recently been diagnosed as T2 with a reading of 105. I was given Gliclazide to take and within a couple of days my eyesight went really blurred so have been moved to Metformin.
Hi @Dubs52 ,

Don't worry about the blurred eyesight. When your glucose levels are high, they distort your vision. Your brain's been compensating for that for a while now. So when glucose levels go back down, which glic would do, your brain has to get used to not compensating anymore... It probably would've gotten better on its own in a week or two. (If you experience this again as your blod sugars normalise, just get some cheap reading specs, as it is of a passing nature). VashtiB's already given you the link to The Nutritional Thingy, and Xfieldoc to dietdoctor.com, so those bases are covered.

You'll be okay. Get yourself a meter and you'll be able to see that for yourself. There is hope here.
Jo

Dubs52

Thank you for your responses. I bought a meter at the weekend as I thought I would get one when I see the doctor ( haven't seen one yet) but then told otherwise.
Going to have a good read round this site.. when my eyes settle down

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
These are some meals. Many meals can be turned into low carb or keto versions, by removing sugar, honey, exchanging vegetable oil with butter or coconut oil, potatoes with cauliflower, broccoli (or after testing how you react butternut squash and or carrots). If you can experiment with flavours it is so worth it.

Thai Chicken Curry

Thai Chicken.jpg

Spicy Duck and Veg
duck and veg.jpg

Minted Lamb and Veg
Minted Lamb.jpg

Salmon and Veg
Salmon and Veg.jpg

Steak and Butternut Squash Chips
Steak and Butternet Squash Chips.jpg

Spicy Mince Meat, Tomato and Mushrooms
mince beef and mushrooms.jpg

Curry and Coconut Flatbread
Curry and Coconut Flatbread.jpg

Eating Out:

Chicken Liver Pate and Oysters
Oysters and Chicken Liver Pate.jpg

Steak Mushroom and Veg
Steak and Veg.jpg

Ribs and Steak (replaced chips with garlic mushrooms)
Ribs and Steak.jpg

I tend to have berries and nuts each day also.

Reactions: mojo37

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
OMG, @Mbaker, I just finished breakfast but your photos have made me feel starving hungry! As I am under rather than over-weight, perhaps I should look at them regularly.
I remember not long after being diagnosed, going into every supermarket to see what I could eat in the inner isles, it was very depressing, especially looking at brown versions of "normal" staples such as pasta and rice.

I am mindful that some of the haul looks expensive. In my household food is no longer wasted, and no one eats more than twice a day. We are not drinkers or smokers so the food side replaces those. When you think a plain steak of salmon can be transformed with a sprinkle if fajita seasoning and simply grilled, low carb vegetables can be cut up, drizzled with olive oil and salt and baked in the oven - voilà a tasty meal with minimal work.

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
Hi Dubs,
I was diagnosed after very blurred vision too. I thought that my vision would return as soon as I got some good number on my blood glucose monitor but it took a bit longer. The monitor is helpful as it enables you to identify foods that cause spikes (e.g. for me oats, lentils) and of course to track progress. It took a while to accept what had happened (I'd gorged myself on chocolate cherry liqueurs for too long) and what I needed to do (reduce carbs). I bought some cook books: Michael Moseley Blood Sugar Diet cookbook, Caldessi and some Keto ones (The works was quite reasonable).
Btw, I did buy two pairs of cheap glasses as I found the blurred vision lasted for a couple of months and as I couldn't see to drive, read or see facial expressions it was getting me down. I was much happier with glasses.
My HbA1c was 78 in August and was 51 a week ago.
I found so much support and encouragement from members of this site, you've come to the right place.

Reactions: VashtiB and Dubs52

Newdb

Hi
Just been newly diagnosed in August. At 15.5 hba1c. However my blood sugar levels now range between 5-7mmol. Just controlling using diet and exercise. However since tge beginning of September I have had a rapid heart beat and constantly feeling shaky as in all the time shaking. I understand from reading that it maybe false hypo symptoms but I thought that after 2 months my body would have adjusted to it but it seems not to want to go anywhere. I am really looking for any one who have had persistent shakes and how long it takes to go away. Really getting worried it maybe something else but doctors say everything else is fine.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
since tge beginning of September I have had a rapid heart beat and constantly feeling shaky as in all the time shaking
Maybe start a new thread with this specific query. That way you will have more chance of catching the eye of someone who has had your problem. Good luck!

Kazmoz

Hi, I am newly diagnosed Type 2 and struggling with what I can and can’t eat. I have also been diagnosed with high blood pressure and am overweight. I also suffer, ocd anxiety and depression. I almost feel too scared too eat. I feel very lonely with this and feel like my life has been turns upside down. What do people tend to have for dinner and for snacks please and can you recommend any good books. Thank you for any advice you can give

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Kazmoz
I think we all feel similar in the beginning, it's a shock isnt it? But the good news is that its quite easy to do a lot to help yourself, and as your sugars and weight start to drop your mood will lift.
Basics of what to eat are simple : meat, fish, eggs, cheese and dairy with vegetables that grow above the ground

There are good links in here (but I don't know how to post them) to eating low carb and how to get a monitor to test your own blood glucose to see how what you eat affects you

For recipes and ideas check out dietdoctor.com and keto fitness club UK. The latter does recipe books too. A good book about diabetes is the Diabetes Code by Jason Fung

For snacks try nuts, olives or cheese but you will find as your body and appetite changes you won't need them as your meals will be filling and satisfying

There's lots of advice and support on here, so while waiting for other replies have a good look round. Perhaps start by searching for "success stories" to read how others have done it

DiabeticZoe

BANNED

Hello, welcome to the club :( I been diagnosed few months ago, also T2. Most important thing when having T2D is regime, it really helped. Top 5 things I try to stick to is low-carb balanced diet, regular meals and small portions, daily workouts, stress control and good sleep. I have bought few online books and diets, so later will give some insights on the best ones. Stay strong!

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello again,

I am going to respectfully disagree with Diabeticzoe. about frequent meals and small portions. In my view the first priority is to lower your blood sugars. A very low arb diet means I have lost over 30kgs without counting calories. You need to eat enough so that you are satisfied- this is not a diet it is the rest of your life. You need to test to determine the amount of carbs your body can tolerate. For me that doesn't look like a 'balanced ' diet but a very low carb way of eating- usually less than 10 or 20 grams a day. I can't remember the last time I ate over 20 grams in a day.

I also eat at most 2 meals a day- that is enough to satisfy me. I eat until I am satisfied-cheese, cream, pork crackling, bacon, eggs, fish- the list of very low carb food is long.

I also found that while I have now upped my exercise I started with very little- plantar fasciitis and still lost weight without counting. calories and always eating enough so I wasn't hungry.Google keto with the food you are thinking of- there are a surprising number of options.

Good luck and remember- trust your meter more than us on the internet.

Hether

Hi, I am newly diagnosed Type 2 and struggling with what I can and can’t eat. I have also been diagnosed with high blood pressure and am overweight. I also suffer, ocd anxiety and depression. I almost feel too scared too eat. I feel very lonely with this and feel like my life has been turns upside down. What do people tend to have for dinner and for snacks please and can you recommend any good books. Thank you for any advice you can give

Hi,
I am newly diagnosed type 2 also so can’t really help at the moment but after reading your post really do sympathise with you as very similar to how I feel at the moment.

I am overweight (but losing, my choice as feel so rubbish), have anxiety, feel depressed due to feeling ill and suffer with fibromyalgia. I know exactly what you mean when you say just won’t eat, as it does feel like that sometimes. However, I am discovering new foods I have never had which is good. I am going for more quality than quantity lately,
little and often helps too. It’s tricky isn’t it as at the moment I am always hungry and need to have little snacks between meals. It does feel like I am constantly thinking about food!! I have been eating salmon, chicken, eggs, cheese, some wholegrain rice with edamame beans, peas, pulses, lentils which are filling. Snacks I have nuts with blueberries, Greek yogurt and berries, dark chocolate. Breakfast I find difficult as I used to have cerise’s which now send bloods high. Those horrid hidden sugars
I watched the Michael Mosley diabetes programme on tv about trying to reverse diabetes. It was good as you could see how others were coping and what they were doing, almost comforting to watch. I bought the cookbook which has lovely ideas. I have been attending diabetes education which is very helpful and worth doing if you can.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Hether

Edamame beans, pulses and lentils are things most of us type 2 can't tolerate. I would suggest that you keep a diary and look up the carb content of those foods. I really like edamame beans but can't eat them any more.

Every time you eat you trigger an insulin response. Most of us here find that not snacking is the go. If you limit your carbs you will feel very hungry.

Read the .link below as a great place to start:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/

There are plenty of things to eat- meat, fish, hard cheese, eggs, double cream etc.

Best thing to do is together a meter and test- that will soon show you the effect different foods have on your levels.

The link above is great because it seems overwhelming at first. But just know the people on here are amazing and ready to help. I would love to meet them face to face and truely thank them for all the help they gave me.

I have had normal blood sugar levels on the whole since going very low carb. Stress and illness have an effect as well b ut I can't control those so I control what I can- carb intake.

Good l.uk and welcome