What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Happy Birthday @annabell1 ! Lovely flowers
@DJC3 I continue to marvel at how wine can be drunk without putting people who aren't me under the table. That much, when I was 25(!), caused me to need to hold onto things to walk. That was "when we were courting" -- do they still say that on your side? It's extremely old fashioned here. Oysters are very big on menus here because they are native to the Chesapeake Bay, and additionally are farmed as a continuing effort to Clean Up The Bay, which has take 40+ years. I usually see them about 1-1.5" minus the frill. Raw is not my favorite either, but oyster stew (oysters, butter, milk, cream), roasted indoors or out, fried in butter, I have a recipe for baked oysters with bread crumbs, scallions, and tons of butter... on and on! Fresh ones are the ONLY way to go, and fresh off the boat, in sealed jars, is mostly how they are sold even to big chain grocery stores. Here and probably Maryland, North Carolina, and possibly Delaware. MrZF hates them Your bizarre quiche sounds very good! I would skip the crust because why bother lol.
@OzBlossom I will ask them what kind they grow! Probably whatever was indigenous, so we don't have an invasion of something wrong for that ecosystem.
Bfast avo, pecans, boiled eggs, 3/4 Lindt 90%, flax crisps/dilute soymilk
3:00ish I was roasting veggies for a HelloFresh, so snuck two strips of yellow sweet pepper. A little pnut butter, skyr yogurt
Barre
Supper yet to come: definitely more (who am I kidding, All The Rest Of The) roasted pepper, cherry toms, spinach/hm dressing, flax crisps/dilute soy. Maybe macadamias if I feel brave. I got quite a bellyache yesterday and it may have been the nuts.
Goodnight to those still up, and good morning everybody!

In my defence.....those 4 glasses of wine were over several hours - about 7 hrs probably, but I still probably shouldn’t have indulged quite so freely, it won’t have pleased my poor old liver.
Courting is an old fashioned phrase here too, but I think everyone knows what it means.
I’d love to try oysters your way, I’m imagining them to be a bit like scallops when fried in butter?

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Breakfast CWC, nut granola
Lunch, fish soup. Tea
Dinner moussaka, not very good, many potato slices and only few aubergine. Cauliflower, brocolli and few carrot slices. Chocolate pudding, ate two teaspoonfuls decided I didn't like it enough to eat more.
Several glasses of wine. One square of the best chocolate truffle bar none.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
In my defence.....those 4 glasses of wine were over several hours - about 7 hrs probably, but I still probably shouldn’t ......
I’d love to try oysters your way, I’m imagining them to be a bit like scallops when fried in butter?
Haha ok then on the wine. We'd drink up to a carafe on a dessert date so it was concentrated timewise lolol.
Oysters are nothing like scallops in my experience-- not taste, not texture. I had a nausea reaction to scallops cooking during one pregnancy 40 (good Lord 40!) years ago and cannot bear even to think of them now! You don't fry the oysters hard-- just very gently until the frills start to curl, then off the heat immediately, eat asap. I suppose salt and pepper could be added. Good on buttered toast too! Try some in honor of American Thanksgiving!

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@SlimLizzy if it's fish soup that mean's you haven't come back yet? What was inside the truffle?

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Haha ok then on the wine. We'd drink up to a carafe on a dessert date so it was concentrated timewise lolol.
Oysters are nothing like scallops in my experience-- not taste, not texture. I had a nausea reaction to scallops cooking during one pregnancy 40 (good Lord 40!) years ago and cannot bear even to think of them now! You don't fry the oysters hard-- just very gently until the frills start to curl, then off the heat immediately, eat asap. I suppose salt and pepper could be added. Good on buttered toast too! Try some in honor of American Thanksgiving!

Thanksgiving - That’s a good idea but they are hideously expensive and tend to be sold fresh, by the dozen. I’m not sure I’ve ever noticed jars of them ( but that might be because I’ve never really looked). I know they used to be a cheap food here, that poor people would eat because nobody wanted them. They’d be used to pad out meat, which was expensive, in pies. How times change.
I really like scallops -It’s a shame about your aversion but quite understandable.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast CWC, nut granola
Lunch, fish soup. Tea
Dinner moussaka, not very good, many potato slices and only few aubergine. Cauliflower, brocolli and few carrot slices. Chocolate pudding, ate two teaspoonfuls decided I didn't like it enough to eat more.
Several glasses of wine. One square of the best chocolate truffle bar none.

Are you guys back in UK yet, or still in France?

Reactions: zauberflote

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
B: yogurt seeds blueberries and a little cream.
Long dog walk brought us past a farm shop so early lunch of a spicy caulflower salad. Had kale in which was too tough to eat.
Then was still hungry when finally got home so 2 cheese and ham roll ups
D: chilli chicken breast with grilled portobello mushrooms and broccoli
May have sacked on too many nuts before and after... been hungry most of the day today

@annabell1 I couldn't have cake in the fridge either. Admire your self restraint
Its a very rich cake so i only eat small slices

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Thank you everyone for your lovely birthday wishes....

Im feeling rather tired today as had hard time getting to sleep till 3.30am then dozed of got up at 11ish today was a lot of carbs
breaky had sourdough toast with baked beans black coffee

Afternoon tea slice of my vegan birthday cake and black coffee

Dinner salad and some pizza

Desert was denada sugar free raspberry cream quite nice its keto friendly although I overdid carbs today
20201102_135142.jpg
20201102_135158.jpg

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@annabell1 -- Happy birthday, hope you had a ball of a day. (Sorry for the belated wishes.)
@DJC3 and @zauberflote -- I'm also not a huge fan of raw oysters. My vote would also be for oysters Rockefeller (as suggested by @OzBlossom). @zauberflote -- I believe that your recipe for oysters with bread crumbs, scallions and lots of butter is actually pretty close to oysters Rockefeller.
@OzBlossom -- What do you prepare Oysters Kilpatrick?
@maglil55 and @DJC3 -- I will really have to try monkfruit as a sweetener soon.

Haven't posted for two days, so here goes the day before yesterday (lots of cals and lots of carbs -- for me anyway).

Breakfast: Double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol. Some of the mandarine-orange chocolate.

Lunch: Bought a waffle maker and tried it out using a batter made of zucchini, onion, carrot, egg, cream cheese, cheddar, baking powder, oat fiber, and psyllium husks (plus nigella and caraway seed). Really worked out well, but overdid by eating almost all of the four double waffles made on this day. I had three double waffles, one with goat cream cheese and salmon, others just with butter -- make a total pig out of myself.

Dinner: Another waffle with creme fraiche this time, plus some cauliflower tabouleh. Some red wine and too much cava.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday ...

Breakfast: Double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol. Some of the mandarine-orange chocolate.

Lunch: The last one of the waffles with creme fraiche. Some baba ghanoush.

Dinner: A hamburger patty with melted cheddar and pickled jalapeno peppers. Cauliflower tabouleh. Some red wine.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Earlyish but I know how this movie ends. @OzBlossom @zauberflote @ziggy_w - re oysters: Very England centric but Rick Stein’s Padstow fish and chip shop does amazing oysters in (Normies) batter. As for #cakegate, I have 99 problems with this woe but being tempted by cake definitely ain’t one of them. I would drink wine and or spirits more if LC food made a suitable partner. I mostly need to wander off the reservation for that - Christmas day/family get together or Bourbon with NFL or similar. Menu: B= Statutory lake of Assam TWAM; 11:.00 am; 40 gms Dr Almond, almond choc then CWC+(always)SF caramel syrup - having them together can give a hideous sweetener aftertaste;.L Skinny bread corned beef sandwich - + spinach sprinkled with ACV,; EM: Mackerel and avocado salad with much flaxcseedage - as per really. As King Lear said, not being the worst stands in some rank of praise.

Last edited:

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
I missed breakfast today but had homemade mushroom risotto for lunch with cauliflower instead of rice. I picked loads of wild mushrooms cooked them up with dried porcini and a splash of balsamic and have had them waiting in the freezer some time. I sweated some diced onion and celery and added the mushroom mix and grated cauliflower. I added some soft cheese and parmesan along with some freshly fried mushrooms. This wasn't bad at all.
Dinner will be piripiri chicken drumsticks, red & white cabbage slaw (chop finely add a little Greek yogurt and a splash of white wine vinegar) and roasted vegetables. All prepped ready, even managed to slice a bit off my thumb in the process!
Happy eating fellow low carbers!

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
Yesterday ...

Lunch: The last one of the waffles with creme fraiche. Some baba ghanoush.

Dinner: A hamburger patty with melted cheddar and pickled jalapeno peppers. Cauliflower tabouleh. Some red wine.
Ziggy, this sounds delicious. I've been looking for high % cocoa dark chocolate with additional flavours, I wonder if there is such a thing. My lovely niece bought me a dark chocolate and almond bar that was 100% cocoa. It must be an acquired taste!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm back. I will try to avoid the chat though, and curb my loose tongue (aka fingers on keyboard).

I'm back because I just spoke to my doctor about the results of the blood test he took last Friday. HBa1c is up from 53, at one point, to 77 on Friday. Why? He wanted to know. Because I've been eating carbs. So don't, he says . Go back to eating low carb! That's a reversal of opinion.

Unfortunately, this morning I decided to try porridge for the first time in a couple of years. BG up after 2 hours from 11.2 to 15.4! Down a short time ago to 13.4.

Lunch was a pear and a piece of cheddar. Tea, of course.

Not sure what to do about dinner now - it was going to be haggis, but that's pretty high carb, so maybe not.

I'm looking for more ideas now from your posts to try to get back on course.

Chest problem was fluid on my lungs - upped diuretic and it is improving a bit.

That was still pretty chatty, so I'll stop and try to improve in future.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been looking for high % cocoa dark chocolate with additional flavours, I wonder if there is such a thing.
If the 100% with Almond one was Montezuma’s, they do another in the same range that is 100% with orange and cocoa nibs, which cuts down the bitterness considerably. Lindt do a 70% range with flavours, but that’s quite sweet.

You could melt some 85%/90% and add your own flavours? @DCUKMod did something with dried strawberries and chocolate recently - it’s up thread a bit.

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
If the 100% with Almond one was Montezuma’s, they do another in the same range that is 100% with orange and cocoa nibs, which cuts down the bitterness considerably. Lindt do a 70% range with flavours, but that’s quite sweet.

You could melt some 85%/90% and add your own flavours? @DCUKMod did something with dried strawberries and chocolate recently - it’s up thread a bit.
Thanks Goonergal, that's really helpful. It is Montezumas. I also bought 100% from Hotel Chocolat which will need to be melted into something more pleasant if ever to be consumed. I like the idea of the dried strawberries. I especially like Green and Blacks 85% and M&S 85% is really good too. I'm ready for more flavour....

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Hotel Chocolat 100% is the bitterest (if that’s a word) of the lot. Tastes like wine (which I hate). The Waitrose 1 90% is excellent. Very low carb, smooth and just the right amount of bitterness.

Melting a small amount of the 100% and using as hot chocolate with a dash of cream/sweetener might work.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Goonergal, that's really helpful. It is Montezumas. I also bought 100% from Hotel Chocolat which will need to be melted into something more pleasant if ever to be consumed. I like the idea of the dried strawberries. I especially like Green and Blacks 85% and M&S 85% is really good too. I'm ready for more flavour....
Almost certainly too carby for you or many here but this range could be worth a try https://www.greenandblacks.co.uk/velvet-edition-range. I understand if it too far off Piste for folks - 6 gms carb per row. I detest most 90% but the Waitrose 1 is something I can at least eat.

Last edited:

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@DJC3 oysters are very expensive here too. I am thinking I remember that the Chesapeake was so polluted that they died off... around now, if I were grocery shopping in person, I'd hope to be seeing a big chiller bin full of crushed ice, with dozens of jars of shucked oysters in in. Oh yum. May have to treat myself now!!
@Bex72 your mushroom cauli risotto makes me want to come on over to your house-- what flavors for a chilly day!
@Annb so good to see you. Crazy medical profession, right? "Eat carbs be healthy! Oh? You're not healthy? Why were you eating carbs then?" Sheesh. Hugs for the chest stuff, I'm glad you've got an improvement moving.
@Goonergal you have given me the perfect word for why I don't like Lindt 85% nor 95%! Wine is exactly what they taste like. I have nothing against wine, but not in my chocolate please. Also both of them are H-er C than the 90%. The 90% is my Goldilocks Zone. Pure chocolate flavor, creamy taste and mouth-feel (melted in mouth anyway! I think it's awful if chewed). But I did have to work my way up from "bittersweet", whatever that is. And American chocolate is pretty much awful except for the Hershey Symphony bar with almonds and toffee.
Bfast STILL in progress! Avo, pecans, boiled egg, 1 Lindth 90%, flax crisps/dilute soymilk
Afternoon something before barre class
Supper was going to have a piece of the HelloFresh chicken but nothing else I can eat in the bag, so probably sardines, inevitable spinach/hm dressing if ketchen witch remembers to make some, flax crisps/soy, maybe macadamias
Any Americans lurking, remember to vote!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm back. I will try to avoid the chat though, and curb my loose tongue (aka fingers on keyboard).

I'm back because I just spoke to my doctor about the results of the blood test he took last Friday. HBa1c is up from 53, at one point, to 77 on Friday. Why? He wanted to know. Because I've been eating carbs. So don't, he says . Go back to eating low carb! That's a reversal of opinion.

Unfortunately, this morning I decided to try porridge for the first time in a couple of years. BG up after 2 hours from 11.2 to 15.4! Down a short time ago to 13.4.

Lunch was a pear and a piece of cheddar. Tea, of course.

Not sure what to do about dinner now - it was going to be haggis, but that's pretty high carb, so maybe not.

I'm looking for more ideas now from your posts to try to get back on course.

Chest problem was fluid on my lungs - upped diuretic and it is improving a bit.

That was still pretty chatty, so I'll stop and try to improve in future.

Just back from diabetic review. Nurse says don't go back to low carb! Huh! Dinner will be a frittata. Bacon, onion and mushrooms and a couple of eggs. Not much carb in that.