So upset with myself - HB1ac of 87

Puffler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I feel so upset with myself and not really sure where to start and what to do next.

I had gestational diabetes 8 years ago and after I gave birth I was still diabetic, type 2. At the time of falling pregnant my BMI was 28 so overweight but not obese. For a long time I was insulin controlled as wanted (and had) another child. However my weight was slowly increasing. My HB1ac was always good, anything from 33 (my best) to 40 (my worst). I came off insulin after my second child and went onto Metformin (4 tablets a day). I was pretty fit and active doing a lot of running (marathons). My weight did steadily increase.

At the start of the year I hurt my knee and stopped running, although still swim three times a week and walk 8-10k steps most days. With lockdown I was very stressed with work and was binge eating on stuff I never normally ate including cake, white sliced bread as toast, pasta most meals, more cake, biscuits with ever cup of coffee...

I avoided my last two diabetic reviews and stuck my head into the sand. Then last week I had a blood test with an HB1ac and it was 87. I’m shocked.

Since then I’ve come off carbs and started testing. I have another HB1ac in 6 weeks time. My blood sugars aren’t coming down though. When I woke up it was 13.7 so I skipped breakfast and went swimming. We had a Sunday roast at lunchtime and I had pork, cabbage, broccoli and carrot. We then went for an hours walk and two hours after eating I tested and it was 14.1.

I just don’t know how I’m going to get it down.

I now need to lose 4 stone to get to a BMI of 25 so I’m very overweight at the biggest I’ve ever been. I just feel I’m facing a mountain.

I’m just not sure why my blood sugar readings are not showing any sign of shifting.

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey Puffer, Just want to gently remind you that you didn't "get this way" overnight or in a couple of days of binge eating....it sounds like you know exactly how this current situation came about, what needs to be done to rectify it and are willing to put the work into it. Be kind to yourself, little steps at a time end up being a whole journey to health....not a sprint but a marathon....and all those sayings....very true and quite doable if you persist, persevere, and love and encourage yourself along the way....no one else can do it for you - you must do it yourself and for yourself alone....Hugs/L

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Firstly ... deep breath, keep calm and relax ... you know what you have to do... you are testing and you are on it - cut down on the carbs - I was roughly were you are now just over 3 years ago - have a look at my signature and see my journey - and I have lost just under 3 stone in that time so it is do-able unless you are very unlucky. Good luck and I wish you well.

Puffler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. I do know what to do, it just seems monumental. I’ve gained two stone this year and feel so ashamed.

MrsT - I can’t see a signature but I’m interested in your journey?

OzBlossom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can do this Puffler, don't panic and as others have said have some patience with yourself. Keep giving the right care to your body and it will adjust in line with your new, good habits. The progress of others here gives me great hope that I can reach a good place and optimal management.

My Hba1C at diagnosis was horrendous - as was my blood sugar level in the doctor's office (see signature). It was only in August this year that I decided (against doctor's advice) to seriously take control myself and start an intense low cal/low carb phase. Significant changes week by week but it takes a little time - still coming down - at end of week 10 of 12 now. I still have long way to go in terms of weight, but two and a half months in, I'm really pleased with my blood sugar control.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welome,

First of all be kind to yourself- this year has given all of us challenges we could not have imagines this time last year.

Second- while your diet may not have helped- you didn't 'cause' or 'deserve' this. Many people an eat as many carbs as they like and never develop diabetes or get overweight- my husband is one such person.

Third- while what you were eating wasn't helping- the advice from many medical professionals also doesn't help with their eat 'healthy' amounts of 'healthy' carbs- I did that for years and just put on more weight and ended up with diabetes.

Fourth - going lower carb will work- you just need to give it time. Things like the dawn phenomenon don't help also. Then there are all the other things that increase our blood sugar levels including illness and stress and lack of sleep. I'm willing to bet that you can tick yes to stress at the moment. I suggest that you control what you can- lower your carbs dramatically and do some walking- doesn't have to be fastest something and some time for yourself. I certainly find a gentle walk does lots for my mental health.

Last of all for now- you hav found a great place to get support, advice and information if you are a diabetic/. The people here are amazing and do understand how you are feeling. It took me more than 2 weeks before I wasn't crying everyday. I went really low carb and lost weight for the first time in my life without counting calories- it is possible one you realise that while you might like carbs your body doesn't.

Good luck and welcome, read around and post- honestly it is going to be okay.

Puffler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everyone. Blood sugar on waking was 15.7 ... I’ve never had such a high single reading (although only tested while pregnant/trying to conceive using insulin control).

At the time of testing I’ve not eaten for 18 hours as I am still reeling a bit and viewing food as the enemy. I’ve also exercised (an hours walk) since having my last meal. I just don’t understand why it’s so high still.

Oz - what does FBG mean in your signature?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone. Blood sugar on waking was 15.7 ... I’ve never had such a high single reading (although only tested while pregnant/trying to conceive using insulin control).

At the time of testing I’ve not eaten for 18 hours as I am still reeling a bit and viewing food as the enemy. I’ve also exercised (an hours walk) since having my last meal. I just don’t understand why it’s so high still.

Fasting Blood Glucose (the first thing in the morning reading)

Quick question have you checked the sell by date on your strips?
Obvious I know but many forget they may only be accurate if still valid.

Reactions: Puffler

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Although I am a supporter of Low Carb dieting, I am going to suggest that you look at the Newcastle Diet or the Dr. Mosley Blood Sugars diet as a quick reset (aka Boot Camp) then move to LC. Just a thought. It may help empty your liver stocks that may be confusing the issue at the mo.

Puffler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks. Another day feeling worried with poor results.

My strips are out of date (2017 so 5 years out of date) but I didn’t really think that would make much difference to them?

Meals today:
11am hard boiled egg
2pm grilled chicken breast and 4 almonds
5.30pm chicken and mushroom soup

I went for an hours walk at 2.30pm and went to the gym and did a yoga class 6.30pm. I tested my blood sugar after the class 2 hrs after eating and it was 12.8. This still seems so high given that I’ve been very low carb (and low calorie) today. Plus exercises twice.

I wonder if I need insulin but would rather not go down that route.

I’ve brought the blood sugars diet book thank you and had a read up. I know I’ve had less than 800 calories today and will try and use that approach as it’s low carb anyway.

Reactions: OB87

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. I do know what to do, it just seems monumental. I’ve gained two stone this year and feel so ashamed.

MrsT - I can’t see a signature but I’m interested in your journey?

Here it is:- ;)

Diagnosed Type 2 - March 2017 - HbA1c 86
June 2017 - HbA1c 45
March 2018 - HbA1c 39
March 2019 - HbA1c 37
September 2020 - HbA1c 35

Controlled through diet (mainly low carb) & by keeping active

PS Don't be so hard on yourself - it's never too late to change things for the better - start today - don't give up as hard at it may be sometimes - once you see the weight coming off and better results you will keep going - I will not say it has been easy but I just concentrated on the end result and yes there was times when my weight plateaued and I did feel like giving up but I kept going and I give the same advice to my son at the moment who is learning to drive - I have told him keep going with it there will be good and bad days/lessons but as long as he gets there in the end and passes that's all that matters as he sometimes feels like giving up and I have also said to him if I can do it so can you! and hey nobody liked their food more or was more greedy than me and I will hold my hand up and admit to that but hey ho keep going and it WILL happen. Good luck and think positive you CAN do it. Take care and look after yourself

Last edited:

OzBlossom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Sorry, that's my Fasting Blood Sugar (early morning reading before eating).

I think that I would totally ignore anything from strips so out of date as you mention! My device is the ACCU-CHEK mobile and it won't work at all on an out of date cassette.

Remember, as others have commented, that your morning reading is likely your highest. I tend to find mine is going up between about 6am and 8am and then down again by around 10.30am (Dawn Phenomenon), all before eating, but that's just my morning pattern.

Good to see your interest in the Blood Sugar Diet.
In a similar line and as also mentioned by @Oldvatr , I'm currently doing an intense stint of not only low carb but low cal (<800 per day) using the Michael Mosley Fast800 program, but am tweaking it slightly to keep it under 20g net carbs per day in line with some original research and aiming for at least some days closer to 700 cal (Prof Roy Taylor's original research). It's tough - well, especially the first few days where I wanted to rip off one of my own arms and eat it! However, the huge changes in my blood sugar readings are powerfully motivating, especially when you can see that reading multiple times per day and see exactly the impact of what you are eating. Hunger also settles remarkably quickly as your body changes into ketosis.

I'm looking forward to my next GP visit in about another month and going 'neener neener' (in more sophisticated terms)! ;)

Last edited:

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wearing a Libre, I have noticed that certain kinds of exercise, such as fairly leisurely cycling, spike me quite badly. More intense exercise methods, such as breaking a proper sweat on the exercise bike, do not. I hypothesise that my body releases sugar upon realising it is being exercised, but only consumes it if the exercise is intense. Even driving or going out shopping can cause the 'light exercise' spike.

You might be experiencing a similar phenomenon. Although your high morning figure suggests an underlying problem.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please buy new strips before you panic any further. @Rachox has great info about which are the cheapest to buy if that’s relevant.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Puffler, welcome to the forum!

Here’s some info on UK meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned.

Spirit Healthcare have a meter with cheap strips, the Tee2 + found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/

with the strips found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-testing-strips/

Some members have got a free Tee2+ by phoning up to order, with a large order of strips they often throw the meter in for free:

Phone number 0800 8815423

With more expensive strips is their Caresens Dual which I currently use, this one has the advantage of glucose and ketone testing in one machine, it’s to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

Home Health have recently bought out this one, but I haven’t heard any reviews yet, links to strips and the meter:

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-produ...ose-meter-test-strips-choose-mmol-l-or-mg-dl/

There are also discount codes for when you come to buy more strips - "navii5" and "navii10" will give you 20% off purchases of 5 packs of strips and 25% off 10 packs of strips respectively (these are printed on a business card supplied with the meter).

And to be totally transparent I used to use the SD Code Free from Home Health which has the cheapest strips available if bought in quantities of 5 or 10 pots with the codes below. However I found it to be becoming less and less reliable. Here it is for anyone wanting to give it a go, just bear in mind it seems they are replacing it with the Navii, details above.

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose-monitoring-system-mmoll-or-mgdl/

and here for the extra strips

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

Disclaimer, I haven’t used any of the discount codes I have quoted so I don’t know if they are still current.

Don’t forget to check the box if you have pre diabetes or diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Puffler, welcome to the forum!

Here’s some info on UK meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned.

Spirit Healthcare have a meter with cheap strips, the Tee2 + found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/

with the strips found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-testing-strips/

Some members have got a free Tee2+ by phoning up to order, with a large order of strips they often throw the meter in for free:

Phone number 0800 8815423

With more expensive strips is their Caresens Dual which I currently use, this one has the advantage of glucose and ketone testing in one machine, it’s to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

Home Health have recently bought out this one, but I haven’t heard any reviews yet, links to strips and the meter:

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-produ...ose-meter-test-strips-choose-mmol-l-or-mg-dl/

There are also discount codes for when you come to buy more strips - "navii5" and "navii10" will give you 20% off purchases of 5 packs of strips and 25% off 10 packs of strips respectively (these are printed on a business card supplied with the meter).

And to be totally transparent I used to use the SD Code Free from Home Health which has the cheapest strips available if bought in quantities of 5 or 10 pots with the codes below. However I found it to be becoming less and less reliable. Here it is for anyone wanting to give it a go, just bear in mind it seems they are replacing it with the Navii, details above.

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose-monitoring-system-mmoll-or-mgdl/

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

Disclaimer, I haven’t used any of the discount codes I have quoted so I don’t know if they are still current.

Don’t forget to check the box if you have pre diabetes or diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)
I use both the Caresense Dual and the SD Codefree, and I agree with @Rachox wrt reliability of the Codefree. I rely on the Dual which was supplied and supported by my GP

Reactions: Puffler and Rachox

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Puffler

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

I can confirm that the discount codes still work, as I used the five pack one recently. I know there've been quite a few probs with CodeFree readings in the past though, so I like it more for guidance than complete accuracy.

Reactions: Puffler and Rachox

Puffler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you so much for those links. I will buy a new meter and strips as I’m still using the out of date ones.

My fasting readings are starting to come down from 13-15 to 10-12. Still high but at least they are lower.