Personal Identification.

alan rm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Very amiss of me but reading the notes from DVLA it is advised to carry personal Identification to show you are diabetic.
My Wife has this ID card issued to her some fifteen years ago form she thinks a diabetic centre which has since closed and we have moved out of the area. The nearest have never been very approachable .Not possible with Doctors too
I don't have a Smart phone which can hold an app, my phone has about four ring tones to choose from.

Any suggestions ?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very amiss of me but reading the notes from DVLA it is advised to carry personal Identification to show you are diabetic.
My Wife has this ID card issued to her some fifteen years ago form she thinks a diabetic centre which has since closed and we have moved out of the area. The nearest have never been very approachable .Not possible with Doctors too
I don't have a Smart phone which can hold an app, my phone has about four ring tones to choose from.

Any suggestions ?

Hi Alan - There are quite a few listings on Amazon etc., for personalised medical ID cards. As I understand it, the card is made to carry your name and whatever other information is considered necessary.

I couldn't recommend anything as it's not something I have used myself.

alan rm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Any suggestions ?
Why not write a card yourself to keep in your wallet if you want people to know you have diabetes in an emergency?
Home made card is plausible but is it acceptable ?

alan rm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Alan - There are quite a few listings on Amazon etc., for personalised medical ID cards. As I understand it, the card is made to carry your name and whatever other information is considered necessary.

I couldn't recommend anything as it's not something I have used myself.
I check the Amazon idea out., but don't like Amazon very much been let down several times by their service

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I check the Amazon idea out., but don't like Amazon very much been let down several times by their service

Alan, there's also eBay, Etsy and a Google search throws up many, many options.

Sometimes I just use Amazon or eBay as an aggregator, to get a wide range of products and price options all on one page.

Good luck with it all.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How about a medic alert/SOS type bracelet/necklace etc. Or one of the rubber ones you can buy from this very website?

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Home made card is plausible but is it acceptable ?
I thought it was meant to let people know if you were unconscious, whether from the diabetes itself or after an accident or such.
If this is the goal it doesn't have to be anything official, as long as it's clear.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wear one of these bracelets, and carry a card listing my current meds. This way, no-one can read about my meds from glancing at my wrist, and if my health conditions change I don't have to buy a new bracelet, just fill out a new card (which comes free with my Dabigatran capsules). I try to remember to keep a card in my pocket as well as in my handbag as, sadly, I fear that were I to be involved in an accident in the road my bag might well be stolen. Of course cards in pockets risk being destroyed in the washing machine. Anyone who doesn't fancy ordering from Amazon can go direct to the ID Band Co. The price is, I think, the same.

upload_2020-10-13_16-41-3.jpeg

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I thought it was meant to let people know if you were unconscious, whether from the diabetes itself or after an accident or such.
Particularly, if someone has been drinking and things have got out of hand. Many a diabetic has died alone in a police station cell, where kindly police officers smelt the alcohol and thought s/he just needed a safe place to sleep off too much booze, but actually s/he was in a diabetic coma.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I try to remember to keep a card in my pocket as well as in my handbag as, sadly, I fear that were I to be involved in an accident in the road my bag might well be stolen
This would also apply to keeping a card in a wallet or keeping info. on a phone.

Ajax

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
A 'low cost' option is to pop in a purse or wallet ..the patient information leaflet (included in your diabetes meds package) ..with some of your details ✻biroed✻ onto it ..they are useful references to have on hand anyhow.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

Any suggestions ?

I assume that you are on medication which causes a hypo risk?
Also that you have had to notify DVLA about your condition, and have constraints (such as testing before and during driving) imposed?

Just hoping to clarify that not all T2s need to do this.

macabee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
People who think Diabetes is 'nothing much to worry about'
I have been a MedicAlert *user since I was diagnosed nine years ago, they keep a complete up to date list of my meds, my GP and contact details in an emergency. All this can be updated on the website, there is an annual fee of about £30. Medicalert is recognised internationally and have been operational in the UK for 50 years now, it is a charity partnered with Lions UK and the NHS.
I would not be without it.
Keep well and stay safe
*https://www.medicalert.org.uk/

simonr1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People telling me "You can't eat this and You can't eat that." and of course " You don't look Diabetic!"
Not for everyone, but you can see in my profile picture. Also have a alert neckless.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Any suggestions ?

Hi Alan, well you don't have to carry any diabetes ID around as you know but if you wish to, why not carry a prescription with you or any letter you have received in relation to your diabetes? Did the DVLA say to whom you might be showing this ID, is it the Police or a medic for example and do you want ID in some official capacity? Your details will be on the Diabetes register anyway so if any official person wants to know then the details are all there. If it's for alerting people who may be attending to you if you are unwell then as others have said there are loads of wrist bands and similar that you can buy.

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I doubt anybody would pretend to be diabetic!
Sadly I know someone who said to me (and not in jest)... “maybe I should get diabetes too if it means getting a flu jab”..

They love Dr Google and are currently half way to asking for a blood test to prove it. A lot of underlying other issues there... but there are some that feel this is either a self- inflicted thing, or a cool dodge for not paying for prescriptions.
Nowt as queer as folk.