Newly diagnosed with type 1 , but second opinion please

Grumpy Porridge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I am 28 years old ,

I have in the last two days been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes . I have to wait for the final blood test which takes 3 weeks, for the confirmation but two doctors have said they are 90% sure it is type 1 .
but I feel I haven’t had the typical symptoms , ( needing to wee a lot etc

I have lost over 2 stone over a short period of time ( not sure exactly how long ) probably a month and a bit

and I have been drinking lots of water in the evening , but I’ve done that for months or even years so aren’t sure it’s to do with the diabetes

I had a HBA1c test , the result was 118 , the doctor called and said I should go to hospital . There, it was discovered I had high ketones plus high blood glucose

my ketones ( from a finger test ) have been varying from around 4.1 ( once was 4.9) to 1

earlier today my blood glucose was 18 and ketones were 1 ( earlier than that , the ketones were 4

Do you think it sounds like I have type 1 diabetes ?

Thank you

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
earlier today my blood glucose was 18 and ketones were 1 ( earlier than that , the ketones were 4

Welcome to the forums.

Probably, hard to get an hba1c and blood levels like that without. (Though I suppose T2 isn't out of the question.)

Have you started on insulin?

Grumpy Porridge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I have started on insulin yes :) and a doctor said I seem to be responding well to it

seems surreal , it hasn’t really sunk in

Thank you! I’m sure this forum / community will be a great help and comfort

Reactions: EllieM

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It’s a lot to take in at diagnosis but yes it’s seems as though you have type 1.

Try to take some time to adjust & in the meantime I assume they did a antibodies test to confirm diagnosis. If that’s inconclusive a c-peptide might help you with distinguishing between type 1 & 2.

After a few weeks on insulin your blood glucose levels will drop & your urge to drink lots will go away and you’ll feel better in general.

You’ve found a good place for info, it helped me loads after diagnosis.

Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi, I have started on insulin yes :) and a doctor said I seem to be responding well to it

That will be why your ketone levels have come down.

High blood sugars are common to both T1 and T2 diabetes but high levels of ketones are more common to newly diagnosed T1s. T1s suffer from too little insulin (T2s generally have too much but can't use it properly), and this can lead to a really nasty (and fatal without insulin) condition called diabetic ketoacidosis. This is why your doctor told you to go to hospital. (Unfortunately some T1s still die from this condition because they are diagnosed too late). Once you're on insulin there's no reason for you to suffer from this again.

Luckily with insulin T1s can live a pretty normal life, though there's a lot to learn. (OK, a career as an outer space astronaut is probably dead in the water). And modern treatments and technology for T1s are life changing (I've been T1 for 50 years and lived through the introduction of blood testing meters for blood glucose levels and now the introduction of continuous glucose monitors and insulin pumps.)

I'm sorry this has happened to you but remember that insulin is a life saver, you've got plenty of time to work out how this diagnosis works.

ps Also remember that T1 and T2 diabetes are not the same, and most of the diabetics you meet will be T2. T1s have much more dietary freedom, once they learn how to balance their insulin to their food choices.

dani96xx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sounds very much like type 1.

It will all be overwhelming at the moment but it really does get easier. Here if you have any questions x

Reactions: Grumpy Porridge

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I am 28 years old ,

I have in the last two days been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes . I have to wait for the final blood test which takes 3 weeks, for the confirmation but two doctors have said they are 90% sure it is type 1 .
but I feel I haven’t had the typical symptoms , ( needing to wee a lot etc

I have lost over 2 stone over a short period of time ( not sure exactly how long ) probably a month and a bit

and I have been drinking lots of water in the evening , but I’ve done that for months or even years so aren’t sure it’s to do with the diabetes

I had a HBA1c test , the result was 118 , the doctor called and said I should go to hospital . There, it was discovered I had high ketones plus high blood glucose

my ketones ( from a finger test ) have been varying from around 4.1 ( once was 4.9) to 1

Thank you

Hi,

Have a warm welcome to the forum from me..

We can't diagnose what type you are. (This one is down to your HCPs.)
But, you are where you are. & we can support.

What insulin/s have you been prescribed.? Please tell me they also issued you a blood glucose meter..

Grumpy Porridge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sure I have type 1 ( am currently waiting for the blood test result that could confirm it )

I just feel worried . I REALLY do NOT want to have type 2 . ( I know I would have caused it :(

I am questioning the doctors guess as I was overweight . Lead a sedentary lifestyle . Had a waist measurement of about 40 inches , which I know is a very high risk :(

I noticed I lost some weight . I don’t know over how long , but in the summer , I was about 17 / 17+ stone . And I am now just under 15 stone

is it that I’m 28, that they are presuming it’s type 1?

my HBA1C level was 118. I was told I should go to hospital . My blood Glucise and ketones were high ( I don’t know what level they were when I first arrived there )

a doctor said fortunately I DIDNT have acid in my blood and she said she thought t was type 1.

I had 1 IV drip . And stayed overnight with regular monitoring/ blood sugar checks plus the ketones ( which they were most concerned about ( I felt absolutely fine) a doctor the following morning said I seem to be responding well to insulin

but about as month ago I noticed my appetite decreased and feeling put off by food

I am now on novarapid before meals and Lantas at 11pm daily

before dinner today , my blood glucose was 16.4 and my ketones are 1.2

Thank you for your help , and if you have replied to my other questions , thank you , really appreciate it :)

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
We can't diagnose you. You will need to have a GAD antibody test and c-peptide test for your consultants to support what type you are. I hope you get a diagnosis soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grumpy Porridge

Grumpy Porridge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I thought I read somewhere that you can get high ketones even with Type 2? It may be more rare but still possible

and also is weight loss a symptom of type 2 too

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Grumpy Porridge ,

I've merged both your topics putting the same enquiry in one place to avoid confusion.

We cannot diagnose you, that is the job for your HCPs.
Our forum ethos rules are pretty clear regarding this matter.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/community-ethos-forum-rules.50278/

But we can offer personal experience to help you move positively forward from where you are now. :)

It's early days regarding the fact you have diabetes.
Diabetes is to an extent, individual. I don't wish to "muddy the waters" for you, but there are more than just "T1 & T2"

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I just feel worried . I REALLY do NOT want to have type 2 . ( I know I would have caused it :(

There are pros and cons between T1 and T2. T1s need insulin, and a consequent balancing act requiring blood tests, but have a bit more dietary freedom than T2s. T2s can often come off medication altogether if they just reduce the carbohydrate in their diet.

But T2 isn't anyone's fault. T2s have a genetic inability to process carbs to the level present in a typical modern diet, and weight gain is a side effect of that genetic susceptibility. It's a symptom.