What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Annb that is just too weird for words. Does nurse know what Dr said??

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Food post to follow next, but at risk of becoming the least popular moderator posting on this thread, could I put in a gentle reminder of the location of this thread in the low carb section of the forum?

Without wanting to single anyone out, and while ‘low carb’ covers a raft of carb intakes, just recently there’s been a fair smattering of items clearly not falling into that category. Of course, people can eat what they wish, but there is another thread where the eating ‘regime’ is not defined and which may be more appropriate on days when carbs are featuring heavily in a menu.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all, again!

@Annb I’d definitely be listening to the doctor over the nurse in your case.
@zauberflote I can’t get past the wine thing with some of the chocolate varieties. Yuk!

Been a bit out of sorts the past couple of days - off work with what might be Covid relapse/random bug/general meh-ness so food has been a bit ad hoc, unplanned and not entirely satisfying.

Weird combinations of cold lamb shoulder, mestemacher bread, bacon wrapped Halloumi fries, sausages, mince and eggs have been consumed. Hopefully normal service will soon be resumed.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
With medical people i adoption the same approach as I do when needing an answer from a government official...I just keep asking the same question to someone different until I get the answer I want. Then I stop asking. Simples.

B 3 egg scramble with some cheese
Mid afternoon. 2 slices of grilled cheese with seeds
Holding myself empty for a restaurant dinner tonight. There will be wine and probably fish

SilverK

Breakfast: coffee with milk and s/f caramel syrup, low carb/high protein yogurt, almonds.
Lunch: Lizza toasties with cheese, coffee with milk and s/f syrup.
Snack: (BG too low to drive but not quite a hypo) snack pack of chocolate covered rice cakes (15g carbs).
Dinner: roast beef, greens and spring onion sautéed in butter, decaf coffee with milk. And maybe some almonds. (That’ll be in about an hour )

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Brussels sprouts (pre-cooked for a couple of minutes) , Chinese cabbage, bell pepper, onion, stir fried with garlic, ginger, turmeric and some soy sauce and Indonesian hot sauce added for the last minute.
On top oven baked sliced and marinated pork belly strip, very good!

123697023_10222157673045145_1709591856299727189_o.jpg

(BG too low to drive but not quite a hypo)
May I ask how low your BG was? In the UK you can drive as long as you're above 4, provided you eat a snack if you're below 5. It's only after dropping below 4 (which is a hypo when on insulin) that you have to make sure to be above 5 before driving.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Before I post my food I just need to ask what the low carb bread is people have been raving about here, I can’t remember the name or who was eating it?! I have a fairly newly diagnosed type 2 friend who has gone LC but is struggling missing bread.
Anyway my food:
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and white chocolate carb killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a handful of pecans.
Dinner: cauliflower and broccoli cheese with roasted Mediterranean veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Before I post my food I just need to ask what the low carb bread is people have been raving about here, I can’t remember the name or who was eating it?! I have a fairly newly diagnosed type 2 friend who has gone LC but is struggling missing bread.
Anyway my food:
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and white chocolate carb killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a handful of pecans.
Dinner: cauliflower and broccoli cheese with roasted Mediterranean veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.
This is it

https://seriouslylowcarb.com

You can get it via Amazon but they take ages to deliver. My last 2 orders have been direct and they're really quick. It has to be kept in the fridge or freezer (if like me you get a supply). I am so enjoying sandwiches again!

Reactions: DJC3

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very nice dinner tonight at a restaurant we had previously been to a few days ago for lunch. Tonight I had mussels with chilli, cream and samphire followed by a fish stew of squid, prawns and sea bass, all with one large glass of white wine. Hubby surprised me by going for a low carb main of beetroot and coconut curry with cauliflower rice, though he did have a fried beef rissole starter and ate the 2 lots of bread my courses came with.
I purposely didn't test. I knew I was choosing sensible options and I wasn't going to let it spoil my evening if the food was higher carb than expected. I could have made far worse choices

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Monday bed 5.9 FBG 5.1 - YAY! Back on school run again and DIL Clinic is start of the week this time. Still getting bugged with vertigo. Belated happy birthday @annabell1. @zauberflote - oysters? I've tried them....Once! Never again.
B. TAG and yes, yet another SLC egg mayo sandwich. I am developing an addiction to egg mayo sandwiches.
L. Nothing.
D. First of the butcher's GF meatza pizza. Went for the spicy one. I'll definitely be buying more. It was excellent. 20 mins in the Air Fryer. Had the last of the waldorf salad with it. Blueberry & Lemon DGF with 2 strawberries and a little cream.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all I’m not sure I’ve caught up here but sending hugs to @Goonergal for general meh-ness and hoping you feel better soon.
@Annb I’d definitely go with the doctor’s recommendation in this case, what a ridiculous situation but I’m glad the fluid on your lungs is clearing up. I recently rediscovered the fresh pear and cheese combo - so nice isn’t it?
@ziggy_w those waffles must have been really good. Have you been using your ice cream maker recently? I’ve a yen for ice cream but don’t have an ice cream maker so might look up recipes that don’t need churning.
@maglil55 I agree about the joy of having a proper sandwich again. I’ve ordered some of the SLC rolls too this time.
Recently I’ve been hungrier than usual and have started having breakfast again. It’s odd as I haven’t needed it for months.
Today it had to be quick and filling. So an egg, a spoonful of milled flaxseed and a dollop of cottage cheese mixed together and fried - a chaffle/ omelette/ pancake thing. Filled a hole.
Lunch was 2 chicken thighs
Dinner Carne Guisada from the freezer ( original recipe from Keto instant pot cook book) it was frozen exactly 1 year ago today according to the date on it. Ate it with roast cauli, 1/2 sliced avocado and a dollop of sour cream. A DGF raspberry bakewell to watch Bake Off with later.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
4.11 2020
Quick roundup of meals
B, CWC , nut granola
L. Pâté, coleslaw and salad, tea
D, lamb chops, cauliflower rice, more cauuli, brocolli and carrot, two small pieces of baked potato cooked yesterday and fried to warm up. Wine and plenty of it.
New rooflight fitted. But now we have run out of gas unexpectedly early. Should have lasted at least three weeks.tonight is the first real cold weather since we got back to UK.
@zauberflote fish soup imported in jars.
Snuggling up with MrSlim to keep warm. Early to bed tonight

Last edited:

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
Almost certainly too carby for you or many here but this range could be worth a try https://www.greenandblacks.co.uk/velvet-edition-range. I understand if it too far off Piste for folks - 6 gms carb per row. I detest most 90% but the Waitrose 1 is something I can at least eat.
Thanks Ian, I'll get some for a special treat and make sure I only have a square. 90% snd 100% are bitter. I'm realising that letting dark chocolate melt in the mouth is the best way to eat it.

Reactions: zauberflote

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
The Hotel Chocolat 100% is the bitterest (if that’s a word) of the lot. Tastes like wine (which I hate). The Waitrose 1 90% is excellent. Very low carb, smooth and just the right amount of bitterness.

Melting a small amount of the 100% and using as hot chocolate with a dash of cream/sweetener might work.
I'm thinking about a dash of rum or brandy too. x

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Just back from diabetic review. Nurse says don't go back to low carb! Huh! Dinner will be a frittata. Bacon, onion and mushrooms and a couple of eggs. Not much carb in that.
AnnB, I hope your chest is improving. Take care. All that talk of haggis has made me hungry, it's been a while since I had some. Maybe a small amount would be ok.

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@DJC3 oysters are very expensive here too. I am thinking I remember that the Chesapeake was so polluted that they died off... around now, if I were grocery shopping in person, I'd hope to be seeing a big chiller bin full of crushed ice, with dozens of jars of shucked oysters in in. Oh yum. May have to treat myself now!!
@Bex72 your mushroom cauli risotto makes me want to come on over to your house-- what flavors for a chilly day!

Hi Zauberflote,
That's very sweet of you. I had some yesterday initially and it was too dry, hence the addition of cream cheese. It made a big improvement.
You're so right about the mistake of chewing dark chocolate, not good. I must buy some of the Waitrose chocolate. x

@Annb so good to see you. Crazy medical profession, right? "Eat carbs be healthy! Oh? You're not healthy? Why were you eating carbs then?" Sheesh. Hugs for the chest stuff, I'm glad you've got an improvement moving.
@Goonergal you have given me the perfect word for why I don't like Lindt 85% nor 95%! Wine is exactly what they taste like. I have nothing against wine, but not in my chocolate please. Also both of them are H-er C than the 90%. The 90% is my Goldilocks Zone. Pure chocolate flavor, creamy taste and mouth-feel (melted in mouth anyway! I think it's awful if chewed). But I did have to work my way up from "bittersweet", whatever that is. And American chocolate is pretty much awful except for the Hershey Symphony bar with almonds and toffee.
Bfast STILL in progress! Avo, pecans, boiled egg, 1 Lindth 90%, flax crisps/dilute soymilk
Afternoon something before barre class
Supper was going to have a piece of the HelloFresh chicken but nothing else I can eat in the bag, so probably sardines, inevitable spinach/hm dressing if ketchen witch remembers to make some, flax crisps/soy, maybe macadamias
Any Americans lurking, remember to vote!

Reactions: zauberflote

OzBlossom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@OzBlossom -- What do you prepare Oysters Kilpatrick?
Oysters Kilpatrick prep: thinly slice and chopped rashers of streaky bacon, sprinkle oysters (in shell) with said bacon, add a couple of drops of worcestershire sauce to each oyster, grill a few minutes until bacon cooked and crispy (if your bacon will do that - some of these processed bacons don't crisp up anymore do they?) then serve with a sprinkle of fresh parsley and wedge of fresh lemon. Yum yum.