What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

OzBlossom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm back. I will try to avoid the chat though, and curb my loose tongue (aka fingers on keyboard).

I'm back because I just spoke to my doctor about the results of the blood test he took last Friday. HBa1c is up from 53, at one point, to 77 on Friday. Why? He wanted to know. Because I've been eating carbs. So don't, he says . Go back to eating low carb! That's a reversal of opinion.

Unfortunately, this morning I decided to try porridge for the first time in a couple of years. BG up after 2 hours from 11.2 to 15.4! Down a short time ago to 13.4.

Lunch was a pear and a piece of cheddar. Tea, of course.

Not sure what to do about dinner now - it was going to be haggis, but that's pretty high carb, so maybe not.

I'm looking for more ideas now from your posts to try to get back on course.

Chest problem was fluid on my lungs - upped diuretic and it is improving a bit.

That was still pretty chatty, so I'll stop and try to improve in future.
Good grief, it really makes me wonder sometimes where some of the doctors - and the nurses - get their advice. Glad you've at least had some clarity obtained re symptoms and hopefully all will be back in train soon!

Reactions: Mrs T 123

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Bex72 montezuma chocolate is lovely especially the one they do with the orange nibs and they also do a mint one too (which reminds me I need to re-order). I also like the Lindtt 85% or 90% with some peanut butter on top.

@zauberflote I do like oysters but not something I have often usually just as a treat as they are expensive - the last time I had them they were served on lemon and ice with a touch of garlic and we were at a lovely posh hotel we stayed in right on the sea front (happy memories not like what we are living through just now)

@Rachox I recommend the slc bread and rolls for anyone who is missing them - I have a regular supply now. @DJC3 what will you have a roll on first burger, bacon or egg? @maglil55 I am the same really loving the slc and having them almost every day so quick, handy, convenient and filling.

@Goonergal hug for the meh-ness - take it easy and rest up

@Annb Good to see you back - take care and look after yourself

10.30am - 2 boiled eggs mashed up in a cup with butter and 2 slices of slc bread sandwiches on ham salad and a mug of earl grey tea

7.30pm - chicken with a little nandos piri piri sauce on top with side salad and some almonds and another mug of earl grey tea

Another active day on my feet for 6 hours ...

Last edited:

OzBlossom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ziggy_w those waffles sound delicious! I've just bought myself a pizzelle maker and plan to try and make some keto style recipe for these ultra flat little waffles (probably with aniseed since that's traditional) but now I want to try a more meal-ish waffle too!

Oh, food, a pretty simple day ...
Lunch: big green salad topped with a couple of sliced mushrooms, a little cottage cheese and a little prosciutto, keto-friendly coffee
Dinner: Tried a new protein meal shake (banana, woohoo!) with cashew milk (also first try) but don't think the reality was as nice as the idea of new flavour, then stevia hot chocolate made up for it after that.

My Lakanto sweetener has arrived! That was quick. Look forward to trying it out soon.

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
@Bex72 montezuma chocolate is lovely especially the one they do with the orang nibs and they also do a mint one too (which reminds me I need to re-order. I also like the Lindtt 85% or 90% with some peanut butter on top.
Thanks MrsT, orange nibs sound sublime.
@zauberflote I do like oysters but not something I have often usually just as a treat as they are expensive - the last time I had them they were done in lemon and ice with a touch of garlic and we were at lovely posh hotel we stayed in right on the sea front (happy memories not like what we are living through just now)

@Rachox I recommend the slc bread and rolls for anyone who is missing them - I have a regular supply now. @DJC3 what will you have a roll on first burger, bacon or egg? @maglil55 I am the same really loving the slc and having them almost every day so quick, handy, convenient and filling.

@Goonergal hug for the meh-ness - take it easy and rest up

@Annb Good to see you back - take care and look after yourself

10.30am - 2 boiled eggs mashed up in a cup with butter and 2 slices of slc bread sandwiches on ham salad and a mug of earl grey tea

7.30pm - chicken with a little nandos piri piri sauce on top with side salad and some almonds and another mug of earl grey tea

Another active day on my feet for 6 hours ...

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Sorry missing in action, well not much action, again! Have had a bit of a relapse of Covid but lots of rest seems to be helping. @Goonergal hope you are feeling better. @Annb great to see you back and hope you are able to find LC to suit you and your lungs improve. @Bex72 hope you are feeling stronger too.
Anyway since the top of the week I have been having my usual breakfast of HiLo toast and tea. I made a big pot of mixed green veg (Leek, broccoli, green cabbage, shallot and parsley at the end) soup and it is still going for lunches. Tip blitzed and thickened with some celeriac mash left over from weekend so very smooth and creamy.
Had sliver of farm bread yesterday with egg mayo on too. Last night had three giant fishfingers only, couldnt be bothered doing veg. Today supper will be chicken, chorizo red pepper diced fried and served dry with pasta and lots of grated parmesan for Mr PM and maybe with cauli rice for me. Mr PM has got bored with the “stew” like version where I add tinned toms paprika so changing it up a bit to make him happy.
Take care everyone. Stay well, stay safe.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
AnnB, I hope your chest is improving. Take care. All that talk of haggis has made me hungry, it's been a while since I had some. Maybe a small amount would be ok.
I am fortunate that my butcher's home made GF haggis is the only one I have found so far that has little effect on my BGs. First time I tried it I found the texture a little strange but I've got used to it because it tastes like haggis! Thank goodness for the small local butchers.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tuesday bed 5.9 FBG 5.1 - @Mrs T 123 & @DJC3 - Glad I'm not the only one with a SLC sandwich addiction! I tended to only have a sandwich during the day for years as my work normally didn't afford the time for anything else. It's been such a relief to "just" have a sandwich again. On the rolls I've had a bacon & egg one (which left me lacking any hunger pangs for about 6/7 hours. I also had that massive burger one for dinner which was very enjoyable. @Annb - glad they are getting somewhere with you. I very much took the line that I was doing what I felt was right for me and, for the most part, it works. I hated the hospital diabetic clinics as they kept changing their minds. Do what you think is right for you.
B. TAG and yes, another SLC egg mayo sandwich.
L. Handful of monkey nuts.
D. Pork loin steak with a spicy rub, another go at the cauli rosti. I used the remains of the cheesy cauli mash. I liked the taste but it wasn't "rough" enough for rosti. It would have worked as a croquette. Maybe I've invented something else? At least I have the taste now, just don't blend. Also had a couple of halloumi pieces. DGF blueberry & lemon, last 2 strawberries and a dash of cream.

I had a "wonderful" morning! Started the job of cleaning the range. It's a mucky job. Still have the top hob and cover to do but a hazmatt suit would have been useful.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
FBG 11.7 - up to 13.2 before breakfast.

Breakfast - some raspberries mashed up and mixed with some pretty sour Gk yoghurt and some dble cream. Feeling a bit sick now!

2nd meal will be a mix-up of some braised leeks and a dish of steak, kidney and mushroom - both from the freezer. They'll bake off together as a casserole.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Menu: B= Litres of Assam TWAM from 5.00 am; 10:.40 am; CWC+SFS - wait- then 40 gms Dr Almond, almond choc; L 13.15 ish Ham, cucumber and mayo “sandwich” Romaine leaves not bread + tea,; EM: 18.15 ish (late) Mackerel and avocado salad with flaxseeds. There are many things today’s food isn’t but surely it is LC? Realistically, there will be too many far more sub-optimal days before the warmer days. Since I was born on a Sunday am I 9? Good to see you here @Annb and @PenguinMum and both still battling on.

Last edited:

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
Hi All
Sorry missing in action, well not much action, again! Have had a bit of a relapse of Covid but lots of rest seems to be helping. @Goonergal hope you are feeling better. @Annb great to see you back and hope you are able to find LC to suit you and your lungs improve. @Bex72 hope you are feeling stronger too.
Thanks Penguin Mum, all good here. when in the covid nightmare it felt it would never end, such a yoyo illness. I hope that you're getting better, remember to take it easy if you're tired. x
Anyway since the top of the week I have been having my usual breakfast of HiLo toast and tea. I made a big pot of mixed green veg (Leek, broccoli, green cabbage, shallot and parsley at the end) soup and it is still going for lunches. Tip blitzed and thickened with some celeriac mash left over from weekend so very smooth and creamy.
Had sliver of farm bread yesterday with egg mayo on too. Last night had three giant fishfingers only, couldnt be bothered doing veg. Today supper will be chicken, chorizo red pepper diced fried and served dry with pasta and lots of grated parmesan for Mr PM and maybe with cauli rice for me. Mr PM has got bored with the “stew” like version where I add tinned toms paprika so changing it up a bit to make him happy.
Take care everyone. Stay well, stay safe.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Afternoon all.

TMAD today.

Last hurrah at Hotel Chocolat before lockdown 2. 85% hot chocolate with whip on the side was lunch.
Dinner was air fried lamb ribs with a salt and lemon pepper rub. Used a lot more lemon pepper this time - very good.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Evening All

TMAD for me today:-

Brunch - 2 slices of slc bread toasted with ham and coleslaw. Mug of earl grey tea

Dinner - Cheese, mushroom, onion & tomato omlette. 2 squares of 90% dark lindtt chocolate with peanut butter on top. Mug of earl grey tea.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
High fbg today so thought I’d better start skipping breakfast again. Just black coffee.
Lunch was 2 slices SLC bread: one topped with Brie and avocado slices. The other with egg mayo and lettuce. Raspberry bakewell DGF afterwards.
Dinner - the new batch of SLC rolls arrived so it was a big juicy burger @Mrs T 123 ! A slice of Emmental in it and salad with Halloumi fries too. Very full now!

@maglil55 that’s exactly how I feel about sandwiches - I ate one for lunch pretty much every day for 40 years. And ‘just a sandwich’ has become a real joy now. The rolls are huge aren’t they?

Well done for sticking to lc in spite of the relapse into Covid territory @PenguinMum -it doesn’t always tick the comfort food box when you’re under the weather I find.

Hope you enjoy the Lakanto sweetener @OzBlossom

Glad you got into Hotel Chocolate for a pre lockdown celebratory drink @Goonergal Hope it helped to fight off yesterday’s meh-ness.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@PenguinMum - it is a sneaky illness. Just when you think you are getting better it comes back to bite you again. At least I found each time I relapsed wasn't as bad as the time before. Rest as much as you can and don't push it. I've got aching arms today but at least I know that's down to the efforts involved in cleaning the range.
B. TAG and yet another SLC egg mayo sandwich. I'm out of egg mayo so I'll need to change tomorrow.
L. Nothing
D. Hubby fancied a kebab and there's a new place getting excellent reports. Hubby got the pittas but we got a mixed box to share. A carnivore dream @Goonergal - 1 chicken wing, bits of yoghurt coated chicken shish, lamb shish, lamb kofta, piri piri chicken shish (Hubby got all the doner meat). A cooling yoghurt dressing which was needed against a chilli . Salad on the side. Hubby saved some for tomorrow as there was a load of meat. Really enjoyable not having to cook.

DIL was waxing lyrical about SLC products. They're not diabetic, they just love their bread and rolls and the fact you are not hungry for hours afterwards.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
High fbg today so thought I’d better start skipping breakfast again. Just black coffee.
Lunch was 2 slices SLC bread: one topped with Brie and avocado slices. The other with egg mayo and lettuce. Raspberry bakewell DGF afterwards.
Dinner - the new batch of SLC rolls arrived so it was a big juicy burger @Mrs T 123 ! A slice of Emmental in it and salad with Halloumi fries too. Very full now!

@maglil55 that’s exactly how I feel about sandwiches - I ate one for lunch pretty much every day for 40 years. And ‘just a sandwich’ has become a real joy now. The rolls are huge aren’t they?

Well done for sticking to lc in spite of the relapse into Covid territory @PenguinMum -it doesn’t always tick the comfort food box when you’re under the weather I find.

Hope you enjoy the Lakanto sweetener @OzBlossom

Glad you got into Hotel Chocolate for a pre lockdown celebratory drink @Goonergal Hope it helped to fight off yesterday’s meh-ness.
I have to agree, the rolls are huge. What impresses me though it that the bread keeps quite a while in the fridge. I order quite a few and I do put some straight in the freezer but I keep 2 loaves in the fridge. They are gone before they go off!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and salted caramel phd bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon in a coffee shop (last before lockdown 2 :(): cappuccino.
Dinner: mushroom and cheese omelette followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

OzBlossom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Envious of that SLC bread - looked at their website. Does not seem available here, even their bread mixes. However, found I can get Sukrin bread mix - think that's a Norwegian brand? - and LC stats on that look good as well as protein content so will try it out soon. Down side of course is have to bake my own - - and find space to jam it into the freezer for rationing! I think I'm nearly used to being 'sandwich free' (though fond memories) but gosh I would love to have my poached eggs on a bit of toast again sometimes.

In my Lakanto order, I included their maple syrup, now that's a nice find! Not tried the Lakanto sweetener yet as my current keto-friendly creamer has erythritol sweetener built in, but am looking forward to trying out my various LC things now stashed in my pantry ready for all kinds of suitable baking/cooking in future.

A simple round of food again:
Lunch was a big green leaf salad with some cottage cheese and proscuitto
Dinner was homemade cream of cauliflower soup and more salad .... then I started watching US election coverage and in reaction to the suspense of it all had some SF hazelnut chocolate ("Well Naturally" is a nice brand here with lots of flavours) AND an Atkins caramel nut Endulge bar.
Blew over my - currently very limited - daily calorie allowance BUT managed to keep net carbs at 23g for the day.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Late b: a big piece of 90 sec bread with butter, but then started cooking mince for a cottage pie and it was so tasty I had at least a quarter while cooking it.
Late afternoon: cooked steak and salad for hubby and saved a steak for me to have later in the car as we had a long drive back home tonight, but the steaks were sadly disappointing, tough and gristle so gave some to the dogs and cats and only ate about a third.
Consequently hungry when got home so a few spoons of almond butter and a Yes bar

That was the last of our trips until at least February. Will miss the exercise dog walking brings, and the novelty of exploring new places

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Today,
B, CWC , nut granola, CWC
Lunch frozen salad, never had that before. Crispy, Crunchy lettuce and radish, binned the cucumber. so still not got fridge settings right. Coleslaw and couple of chunks of cheese. Tea
Dinner, cauliflower cheese, ready made with veg carrots, cauliflower and brocolli, the cauliflower and brocolli had frozen as well. And the yoghurt I had afterwatmrds had shards of ice. Added couple of spoonfuls of choc pudding, MrSlim had the rest. Wine, lemon tea.
Another busy day doing not a lot. Am amazed how little time I have left after normal tasks are done.
Cat is developing a more assertive character. He helped himself to the bone out of last night's lamb chops. It was intended for him, but at dinner time not as mid afternoon snack.
And we have discovered he has a weakness for the little French cakes called Madelines.