no bolus insulin needed. is this a problem if blood glucose is normal

Susilee

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
Diet only
I am cooking for my type one partner who works full time in manual labour. His blood sugars range between 4-7 without requiring any bolus . He does take 14 until of lantus nightly.
Does anyone know the minimum insulin he needs for cell function? I mean , I understand the body needs some insulin for effective brain and body cell function.
It seems we have the right diet to reduce all daytime insulin but I'm concerned that I don't know where to find out the minimum requirement for the body. I'd welcome any thoughts

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
There will be ongoing, changing amounts of insulin for your type 1 partner in terms of dosage, to keep blood sugars in a target range. One will need to follow one's blood sugar numbers daily to achieve this. Insulin dosage isn't a fixed amount due to many reasons such as the amount of exercise, how many CHO's you eat, injection sites, temperature, times of day, illness, stress, honeymoon period ending, IR, changing insulin sensitivity etc, etc

Susilee

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you Ert for your thoughts
Do you know the minimum amount of insulin required by the body to function optimally?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you Ert for your thoughts
Do you know the minimum amount of insulin required by the body to function optimally?
As much as he needs to keep his blood sugar levels in the correct range - in essence that is it.

Noting that everyone is different so some do just need more than others to keep themselves in range.

Has your partner been diagnosed recently? If so he may be in the honeymoon period needing less than he will eventually need. If not I'm very jealous :)

Susilee

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
Diet only
As much as he needs to keep his blood sugar levels in the correct range - in essence that is it.

Noting that everyone is different so some do just need more than others to keep themselves in range.

Has your partner been diagnosed recently? If so he may be in the honeymoon period needing less than he will eventually need. If not I'm very jealous :)

Susilee

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
Diet only
He was diagnosed in 2018... we immediately dropped all food advised avoided pre insulin days. It’s not been easy but luckily he doesn’t want insulin more than he wants sugars/starchy foods etc.

Susilee

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
Diet only
We are super aware of the mass of other factors . He increases the number of daily tests to factor the obvious ones eg exercise , temp, alcohol,
Good but daunting to remember that it is ongoing. I’m grateful for your responses and this website

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
... Does anyone know the minimum insulin he needs for cell function? I mean , I understand the body needs some insulin for effective brain and body cell function. ...
The main function of insulin is to push glucose into cells. If glucose can't get into cells, blood glucose goes up. So blood glucose is the best indicator of whether there is enough insulin action. Insulin is also used in protein synthesis, but the 14 units of Lantus every day would cover that requirement.

Susilee

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
Diet only
The main function of insulin is to push glucose into cells. If glucose can't get into cells, blood glucose goes up. So blood glucose is the best indicator of whether there is enough insulin action. Insulin is also used in protein synthesis, but the 14 units of Lantus every day would cover that requirement.
That's good news Mark thanks for responding