Ypsopump priming/reviews needed

Ermintrude75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

it's been agreed I can get a pump. It just has to be the one the hospital chooses.

How much insulin does it take to prime the tubing and cannula? Can you please include lengths.

I've already been told the 1.6ml vial will not have to hold enough insulin for the 3 days for me. I figure I'm going to have to prime twice per vial assuming the infusion set lasts the 3 days.

Any one give me an honest opinion? all the reviews on ypsomed website are glowing.

Thank you

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know where you are located but if you are under the NHS I would question the fact that it has to be one the hospital chooses. Most people seem to get some kind of choice.
Also a pump with such a small reservoir doesn't sound suitable for you. Mine has a 300ml cartridge & easily lasts 3 days.
I'd go back & have another chat with them.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't know where you are located but if you are under the NHS I would question the fact that it has to be one the hospital chooses. Most people seem to get some kind of choice.
Not all, I know mine has only one pump they will fund unless you have a very good reason to get one that will work with sensors - and then if you do you get the one they they will fund.
It may well depend on the CCG's funding policies (or maybe even which pumps the hospital team have had training for)

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting. From my limited conversations with people & looking at this forum, they seemed to at least have had an alternative of a tubeless pump.
As you say it must vary by region. Postcode lottery in action.

Ermintrude75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I have been given the choice of ypsopump or Medtrum. Patch pump is of no use for when I'm sparring/fighting or doing self defence. Not so easy to disconnect and reconnect.

I attend Raigmore hospital in Inverness. I had an agreement for a Medtronic in March but it had been withdrawn to save money for the hospital.

That's what I said postcode lottery. The best bit is I can move 40+ miles to another health board and they have access to Medtronic and TSlim. I have spoken to my local MSP about the lack of choice and she has copied and pasted most of my emails to the hospital. The hospital has given me a sales pitch from Ypsomed and told me basically take what I'm given or keep with the injections. Even telling me they don't think it will improve my hba1c. The last email did appear to be very rushed and shut up and stop annoying me.

I feel as if I'm stuck between the proverbial rock and a hard place. Do I keep fighting and risk the chance of being taken off the list or do I give in take what I'm given and then hope things change in 5 years time. When I'd hopefully get a replacement.

I have tried to seek help from Diabetes Uk, Diabetes Scotland and Diabetes org but I never get any reply.

I actually received a letter telling me to make a clinic appointment and to be honest I can not be bothered as I am just that annoyed/angry/pd off with the whole situation.

alohanicky2009

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish , bad manners,
Hi

I have been given the choice of ypsopump or Medtrum. Patch pump is of no use for when I'm sparring/fighting or doing self defence. Not so easy to disconnect and reconnect.

I attend Raigmore hospital in Inverness. I had an agreement for a Medtronic in March but it had been withdrawn to save money for the hospital.

That's what I said postcode lottery. The best bit is I can move 40+ miles to another health board and they have access to Medtronic and TSlim. I have spoken to my local MSP about the lack of choice and she has copied and pasted most of my emails to the hospital. The hospital has given me a sales pitch from Ypsomed and told me basically take what I'm given or keep with the injections. Even telling me they don't think it will improve my hba1c. The last email did appear to be very rushed and shut up and stop annoying me.

I feel as if I'm stuck between the proverbial rock and a hard place. Do I keep fighting and risk the chance of being taken off the list or do I give in take what I'm given and then hope things change in 5 years time. When I'd hopefully get a replacement.

I have tried to seek help from Diabetes Uk, Diabetes Scotland and Diabetes org but I never get any reply.

I actually received a letter telling me to make a clinic appointment and to be honest I can not be bothered as I am just that annoyed/angry/pd off with the whole situation.

alohanicky2009

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish , bad manners,
Hi like you a tubeless pump was not for me with my lifestyle , I have trouble keeping anything with adhesive to stick , even my Libre can peel off in 3 days , I tried the medtrum 6 , found it fell off during first night and the second one lasted 2 days , I would be worried that I would lose the ‘brain ‘ of pump, I was on the Medtronic 640g but after a yer my hospital agreed to transfer me to the Ypsomed , I am loving it , small , easy to use , and customer service and technical support are brilliant and patient, and if they don’t have the answer they do find it. The accessories are good too. At the hospital I attend I was lucky to have a choice but although I did not firstly agree to the pump my consultant recommended and gave me the pump that I wanted 640g he was right the Ypsomed was well suited to me, the only thing that I must be careful of is the Ypsomed is not waterproof, I like to kayak , swim and in winter shoot and beat , but I can put it in a pouch , good luck

Reactions: Ermintrude75

Ermintrude75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi like you a tubeless pump was not for me with my lifestyle , I have trouble keeping anything with adhesive to stick , even my Libre can peel off in 3 days , I tried the medtrum 6 , found it fell off during first night and the second one lasted 2 days , I would be worried that I would lose the ‘brain ‘ of pump, I was on the Medtronic 640g but after a yer my hospital agreed to transfer me to the Ypsomed , I am loving it , small , easy to use , and customer service and technical support are brilliant and patient, and if they don’t have the answer they do find it. The accessories are good too. At the hospital I attend I was lucky to have a choice but although I did not firstly agree to the pump my consultant recommended and gave me the pump that I wanted 640g he was right the Ypsomed was well suited to me, the only thing that I must be careful of is the Ypsomed is not waterproof, I like to kayak , swim and in winter shoot and beat , but I can put it in a pouch , good luck

Sorry Ive not been on here for a while. The decision is down to the accountant because they are cheaper. It definitely is a postcode lottery.

I got an email from the DSN saying they have funding. and am I still interested for a start next year. The choices are still as above. Although they will not confirm the Medtronic offer has been revoked.

I see you are very active do you have an issue with the the infusion set coming out I have read that the straight needles on all pumps have a tendency to come out?

The problem Im finding is there are no support groups for the ypsopump so I can't get anyones honest opinions.

Im sitting here talking myself into the ypsopump.
1) its a pump - my husband says I'm taking it since Im struggling so much lately - I can complain later if it doesn't work
2) uses pre loaded vials
3) works/will work with Libre 3 so can loop

downside
1) what if the infusion set comes out?
2) its reliant on a phone to work for carb counting and looping
2b) don't want to break my phone doing a jumping spinning kick

Sorry but your the second person to be able to give me an honest opinion. The first said she hated it from day one.