Fasting blood sugar level rising

Wookie1974

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I have noticed in the past week that my fasting blood sugar level has risen from a daily reading in the 5 to 6mmol/L range up to 6 to 6.8mmol/L. I haven't changed anything in my diet or medication (1 500mg metformin daily) so I'm unsure as to why this is happening. Anyone with any knowledge of this?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi, I have noticed in the past week that my fasting blood sugar level has risen from a daily reading in the 5 to 6mmol/L range up to 6 to 6.8mmol/L. I haven't changed anything in my diet or medication (1 500mg metformin daily) so I'm unsure as to why this is happening. Anyone with any knowledge of this?

There are some obvious reasons
1) you're coming down with some illness (hopefully not covid)
2) you're unusually stressed
3) you've changed something about your regime (diet exercise) and haven't noticed
4) as you're a new T2, there's a possibility that you've been misdiagnosed and are in fact T1/LADA
5) your weight has gone up

There's probably some other possibilities and honestly it's not a big change, but if it perseveres you might want to lower your carbs and/or increase exercise and consider point 4....

Good luck.

Reactions: Wookie1974

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
I think this is still a very modest increase, and shouldn't be too anxiety provoking.
Ongoing dietary manipulations would be first port of call. It can be done - Good luck!

Reactions: Wookie1974

Wookie1974

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheers for the responses! Fasting reading this and yesterday morning back down to 5.3 & 5.5 so don't know what last week was about. Suppose I have been a bit stressed at work!