Covid and Work, Covid Advice and General Chat

DiabeticZoe

BANNED
My Hubby works in a “necessary industry” and is travelling as normal too - said the traffic was horrendous today - don’t think people are ignoring the rules necessarily- there is a lot more businesses and people still working in this lockdown than last so probably more to do with that than breaking the rules

More and more people are breaking the rules, but right now the virus is everywhere. I am very mad, because I got covid at work, and even though that office was closed, my colleagues where still going to the office, going to the bars, partying. I after I got well, I came back to work and everyone were looking at me like I am still infected even if I was tested negative already. And now one of the colleagues got virus and I am the one being blamed. So I think while people will still be going to necessary industry jobs, virus will be alive :( I feel bad for the people that still have to go somewhere, because covid was horrible experience, do not recommend to anyone :happy: Stay safe people, covid is sneaky

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
People are still having to get to work, including most educational establishments being open, so why would there be much less traffic?

This morning the traffic on the road from 7.30am looked about the same to me, I'm not working this afternoon, but I know the roads are normally quite busy from 2.30pm on-wards.

Tannith

BANNED
I stay indoors. However I still think it could be important to pay attention to general health. Especially lose some weight which in turn brings down blood sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol, so as to maximise my chances if I should get it. Trouble is, I'm finding that quite hard, not least because I am doing more baking than I did before covid, as I now have the time for it.

Max68

Not trying to over concern anyone but had to post this latest video from Dr John regarding this mutation that has jumped from humans to mink and back to humans again in Denmark. A mutated strain of some concern and yet flights to and from Denmark are still happening.

It absolutely beggars belief really. The World Health organization ignored calls back in January to stop flights in and out of China and look what has happened. It might end up something of no real concern or danger but why take that chance? Why yet again are Governments and the WHO still in "reactive" mode? When are they going to get "proactive"? After all is not prevention better/easier than the cure?!!

Tannith

BANNED
Not trying to over concern anyone but had to post this latest video from Dr John regarding this mutation that has jumped from humans to mink and back to humans again in Denmark. A mutated strain of some concern and yet flights to and from Denmark are still happening.

It absolutely beggars belief really. The World Health organization ignored calls back in January to stop flights in and out of China and look what has happened. It might end up something of no real concern or danger but why take that chance? Why yet again are Governments and the WHO still in "reactive" mode? When are they going to get "proactive"? After all is not prevention better/easier than the cure?!!

Thank you so much for posting this Max. I do hope everyone reads/watches it. Especially the WHO and Boris.He (Dr John), says write to your politicians and urge them to help close the Danish borders. PS See this also: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-54833459
But cases are spreading fast in Denmark - 207 mink farms in Jutland are affected - and at least five cases of the new virus strain were found. Authorities said 12 people had been infected with the mutated strain.

Meanwhile, Health Minister Magnus Heunicke said about half of the 783 human cases reported in north Denmark related to a strain of the virus that originated in the mink farms.

Last edited:

Gibson01

First education is essential but in a first world could we have done some education via remotely. Could we have not hold on to opening schools for at least this winter so we can get everything else in shape to manage it more effectively. My personal opinion is yes we can but it’s all to do with those making decisions have had the virus and survived so they’re not bothered anymore with those who haven’t had it yet. A very selfish attitude. I worked in school until start of lockdown in March and then realised after Bojo came back alive that he talks about pressing the brake but What he means is the accelerator pedal, so I took the decision and quite to buckle in for the second wave in winter which is upon us now. Oh boy I’m glad I made that choice because I have been sleeping stress free since July. Here is the issue, Herd Immunity plan was never off the table, they were pressured into it but school opening in September was a blessing in disguise for Bojo and his Cummings. School is the only work place where you are not allowed face masks. It’s discouraged actively. Covid app is now discouraged. 30 children in a room mixing 6 hours a day 5 days a week is pretty much 30 households mixing then 100 in a bubble are mixing during break and lunch time and after school on the way home. All school staff know that. Plus we al know children exhale forcefully when talking!! A school is the worst place for anyone vulnerable to Covid. So school is the true driver for this second wave but media and scientific advisors are hush hush about it, just talking about no risks to children but never mention that they are a potential carrier to and out of schools to homes. Schools is the engine of herd immunity driver.

Thank you so much for posting your message I’m new on the forum but I had to make a comment wow how true your words are I could cry with joy, as somebody for once has as they say “hit the nail on the head” I am the cook in a primary school the ladies I work with are all classed as vunerable I raised concerns at the end of September as we were doing hot food from the children’s return to school the hall at dinner time was buisness as usual! Bubbles I wouldn’t of called them that were large my ladies and I were still required to navigate our way through to collect plates cutelry cups etc mixing with ta’s from every year also children no mention of Ppe only what we took upon ourselves to wear . Mentioned my concerns and felt like I was making waves next week we all had to have risk assessments mine was high risk other ladies were medium so we then were told while serving we had to wear mask visor disposable aprons and gloves. Meanwhile all senior staff were mixing even after a teacher tested positive then we had to close a week before the half term due to all management ta’s some children having tested positive I had to isolate as I had been in contact with a certain staff member anyway what I’m trying to say it’s apparent to us they are covering it up big time about the primary schools and the high schools so this lockdown is a joke that no body understands and I also think that some school leaders are not taking it seriously and are keeping things quiet about positive cases etc and stall moral is at an all time low we know what’s going on and I’m sure these bloody scientists know so I’m sorry for waffling on but I was just so grateful reading your post thank you and take care x

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
At our local secondary school they now have cases of covid in the year seven group. One of the mothers has complained that when the children arrived for classes the teachers took their phones off them put them all in one bag and then gave them back to the children at the end off the lessons.

So if the children were socially distanced their phones being all jumbled together in a bag were not.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
More and more people are breaking the rules, but right now the virus is everywhere. I am very mad, because I got covid at work, and even though that office was closed, my colleagues where still going to the office, going to the bars, partying. I after I got well, I came back to work and everyone were looking at me like I am still infected even if I was tested negative already. And now one of the colleagues got virus and I am the one being blamed. So I think while people will still be going to necessary industry jobs, virus will be alive :( I feel bad for the people that still have to go somewhere, because covid was horrible experience, do not recommend to anyone :happy: Stay safe people, covid is sneaky

It never ceases to amaze me how ridiculous people can be. They have NO idea who passed the virus onto who because you would NOT know who in the office or out of it got it 'first'. They clearly have NO idea about when the virus is deemed to be in the infectious stage either as the chances of you passing it to anyone after a negative test (ie weeks later) is unlikely if not impossible (given we do not know exactly how t all works). Anyway your colleagues sound daft. x

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much for posting this Max. I do hope everyone reads/watches it. Especially the WHO and Boris.He (Dr John), says write to your politicians and urge them to help close the Danish borders. PS See this also: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-54833459
But cases are spreading fast in Denmark - 207 mink farms in Jutland are affected - and at least five cases of the new virus strain were found. Authorities said 12 people had been infected with the mutated strain.

Meanwhile, Health Minister Magnus Heunicke said about half of the 783 human cases reported in north Denmark related to a strain of the virus that originated in the mink farms.

I think it worth noting that there is no longer the ability to travel freely into Denmark:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/denmark/entry-requirements

upload_2020-11-7_10-31-26.png

Should a person arrive in UK, the following is required:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...t=When you arrive in the,assessed as low risk.

upload_2020-11-7_10-33-7.png

Max68

I think all the above posts make one thing quite clear, and that is the success or failure of the ability to control a pandemic is not just about government guidelines (right or wrong) but behaviour. Indeed in all of life our health and safety is dependent on ours and other peoples behaviour. Every time we drive on the roads we are susceptible to how we and others drive. Colds, flu, noroviruses are picked up because either ourselves or others have become lax with hygiene. It's interesting for me that in 2020 the one thing I haven't had is a cold, whereas usually I go down with two or three. That must be partly down to my own behaviour now where frequent hand washing and attempted social distancing have become the norm. One hopes that the rules that Mr. Pot and DCUkMod have kindly supplied above will be adhered to by those citizens returning. After all I don't think a soldier stands outside your door to check you aren't popping to the supermarket to stock up after returning from travel! I've said before and I will stand by it that people can't complain about lockdowns if their own behaviour is contributing to the reasons for locking down!

Re schools. I watched something last night that suggested infection rates in schools is far higher than say the hospitality industry. So you have to ask why close down hotels for instance when schools remain open? It's strange that wherever you search you will find it very difficult to find any statistics with regard to Covid in schools. You might find a headline stating "schools do not spread Covid" but nothing in the article to back that up, unless I am looking in the wrong place.

If you Google "covid infections by occupation" very little comes up post 1st September, which ironically is when schools generally started to reopen. Most "trusted" graphs relating to occupation are prior to September suggesting that education was well down on the list, but then again it would have been with very few schools open.

One of the latest articles I could find suggesting there is a problem is this -

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2020/10/05/surv-o05.html

Which quotes - "A series of surveys and reports have exposed the disastrous effects on teachers and children of school reopening's. Figures from the latest Public Health England’s COVID-19 epidemiology surveillance summary show that educational settings now account for 45 percent of all positive cases in the UK. This is the highest level of infection of any sector of society.

The report is based on data from week 39 (between 21 August and 27 September 2020) and, for some indicators, daily data up to 29 September 2020."

Again however that only states between 21 August and 27 September.

Another latest article is here -

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/ons-data-on-covid-infection-in-schools-what-you-need-to-know/

However most articles understandably warn against coming to any conclusions meaning that as per usual "we don't know". What's the secret though? Why are the government seemingly so slow or cagey about producing clear figures for infections, hospitalisations and deaths in the education area? One might suggest it's purely to keep the things open and they will deal with the fallout at a later date when the numbers are known months down the line!

Reactions: Jbicheno and JRT

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Stolen from Faceache (aka FB) today

No Nativity this year because

the 3 Wise Men face a travel ban.
The shepherds have been furloughed.
The Innkeeper has shut under Tier 3 regulations and had a slump in bookings.
Greenland has been removed from the Travel Corridor list.
Santa won’t be working as he would break the ‘rule of 6’ with Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Donner and Blitzen.
As for Rudolph, with that red nose, he should be isolating and taking a test.

Jbicheno

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much for posting your message I’m new on the forum but I had to make a comment wow how true your words are I could cry with joy, as somebody for once has as they say “hit the nail on the head” I am the cook in a primary school the ladies I work with are all classed as vunerable I raised concerns at the end of September as we were doing hot food from the children’s return to school the hall at dinner time was buisness as usual! Bubbles I wouldn’t of called them that were large my ladies and I were still required to navigate our way through to collect plates cutelry cups etc mixing with ta’s from every year also children no mention of Ppe only what we took upon ourselves to wear . Mentioned my concerns and felt like I was making waves next week we all had to have risk assessments mine was high risk other ladies were medium so we then were told while serving we had to wear mask visor disposable aprons and gloves. Meanwhile all senior staff were mixing even after a teacher tested positive then we had to close a week before the half term due to all management ta’s some children having tested positive I had to isolate as I had been in contact with a certain staff member anyway what I’m trying to say it’s apparent to us they are covering it up big time about the primary schools and the high schools so this lockdown is a joke that no body understands and I also think that some school leaders are not taking it seriously and are keeping things quiet about positive cases etc and stall moral is at an all time low we know what’s going on and I’m sure these bloody scientists know so I’m sorry for waffling on but I was just so grateful reading your post thank you and take care x

I have been wearing my mask all this week, no permission just did it. No one has questioned me or complained. Everyone, including the children, can hear me and have taken it in their stride. It is so common now to see people wearing masks everywhere else no one bats an eyelid. Our headteacher has been off all week sick so no individual risk assessment yet. Another teacher returned to school on Wednesday after isolating as her husband tested positive. A child is isolating in our class as his granddad has tested positive. Yet still, I am the only person taking extra precautions. I find it absolutely mind boggling.
Also, garden centres near us, resembling Santa’s Grotto selling baubles, tinsel etc are open and crowded. People are taking their children there for a day out.
This lockdown is nothing like the lockdown in the spring and sadly, I doubt it will have much effect.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good grief! So we just have to hope this new strain of virus won't prove resistant to the vaccines we are frantically developing.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I stay indoors. However I still think it could be important to pay attention to general health
If you are able to exercise, and if you don't live in a bungalow, how about going up and down your stairs a few extra times through the day? Or even doing 5 stepups on the bottom step of the stairs each time you go up or down? I find that when I can get myself to do it, exercising primes up my will-power, or enthusiasm, for other healthy behaviours. And how enjoyable to consume some home baking as a reward. I feel quite famished at the thought!

Reactions: UK T1

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apparently Gibraltar is the only place left on the travel corridor. Not that we allowed to travel for the time being anyway (other than work)

Last edited: