Lantus

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Hi, I’ve just had a follow up call with a dr from the hospital diabetic clinic I go to. She asked for some readings which I gave her and she asked if I adjust my insulin so I said you can’t do that with lantus and she said you can. Does anyone do this on here? She also said that they mite add another injectable that I can use alongside metformin and empaglaflozin any idea of what this could be? Although I’ve been diabetic for a long time I know very little about it! Any help appreciated.

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
.... she asked if I adjust my insulin so I said you can’t do that with lantus and she said you can. Does anyone do this on here? She also said that they mite add another injectable that I can use alongside metformin and empaglaflozin any idea of what this could be? ....
No, Lantus can't be changed for meals. The dosage can be adjusted to give better blood glucose levels over the day, though. While some users only do this under guidance of a doctor, many people do it on their own. The 'other injectable' is probably an incretin drug. It is injected and is a hormone produced in the stomach. The effect is to increase insulin production after meals. Because the effect it is more targeted at blood glucose after eating, it may be suitable.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I used to take Lantus as my background (basal) insulin and would change it every day I exercised because I needed less insulin for 48 hours after intensive exercise.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
She asked for some readings which I gave her and she asked if I adjust my insulin so I said you can’t do that with lantus and she said you can.

Most of us T1s using lantus will adjust it when our basal needs change (activity, illness, stress, weather?) but just telling you to adjust it without telling you how is a bit off in my opinion. Not sure how T2s do it because you are (hopefully) still making some of your own insulin, but for T1s the idea is to have your morning reading match your night time one.....

Good luck, not impressed with your clinic, they are supposed to advise you how to alter your doses, not leave you asking on an internet forum.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
No, Lantus can't be changed for meals. The dosage can be adjusted to give better blood glucose levels over the day, though. While some users only do this under guidance of a doctor, many people do it on their own. The 'other injectable' is probably an incretin drug. It is injected and is a hormone produced in the stomach. The effect is to increase insulin production after meals. Because the effect it is more targeted at blood glucose after eating, it may be suitable.

Thank you, I haven’t been told to increase doses I’ve done it myself, but I really don’t know what I’m doing. This morning my bs was 3.4 so I haven’t taken my lantus as I don’t know what I’m doing!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you, I haven’t been told to increase doses I’ve done it myself, but I really don’t know what I’m doing. This morning my bs was 3.4 so I haven’t taken my lantus as I don’t know what I’m doing!

Hi Sarah, you really need to insist on more information from your Diabetes team/Nurse, they should not send you off with such a lethal substance when you don't know what you are doing, it could be very dangerous. x

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I’m not new to lantus I’ve been taking quite a while now. I was changed last year to 2 injections a day 16 units. I’ve only just increased it to 16 then to 18 in the past two months as my sugars are high in the morning. I have an annual review next month so maybe they’ll tell me more at the appointment.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can this be done without testing in the early hours as once I’m awake doing all that I’ll be awake and won’t be able to go back to sleep.

Hi,

I suppose you could aquire a BG sensor like a Libre to spot how you are trending whilst asleep?

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Hi,

I suppose you could aquire a BG sensor like a Libre to spot how you are trending whilst asleep?

Thanks do diabetic clinics supply these?