infusion site

LauraNoraLoo

Hi all fellow pumpers!

Quick question ...

When I change my set and take the part out of my body, Im left with a sore looking red spot can feel a lump under the skin? its quite sore too.

am i doing something wrong? is this normal?

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's not unusual to be left with what pumpers call "pump bumps" but a lump under the skin sounds like your site is getting irritated. I had this in the early days and what helped me was a hot shower before inserting a new set and always changing my set on day 3. I have sensitive skin and have found that I need to use non perfumed/non greasy shower products on the day I do the set change.

I don't get the lumps now but I do get little red dots which fade slowly. I always dab savlon on when I remove the set.

I also find that if I bolus large doses in a single go or I bolus a lot extra over the three days my site gets sore before it's due to be changed.

Some people do need to change their sets more often due to them getting sore but you don't want to continue getting lumps as you will end up with pump fatigue (scar tissue that causes absorption issues longer term).

Hope that helps :)

jopar

You tend to get left with a small scar like mark that disappears after several says, but they shouldn't be sore or lumpy..

This is a sign that your body is reacting to the sets and seeing them as a foreign body.. I would try changing your sets a couple hours earlier that the suggest period..

Or try a different type of sets, if on Teflon try steel and vis-versa it's not unknown for some to change sets on daily bases to avoid problems with reactions

LauraNoraLoo

thanks guys. Ive had lots of problems (to the extent of seeing a surgeon for a tummy tuck) with insulin lypohypotrophy and i was worried it was linked. i am on quite a big basal rate and sometimes i do have a blus that is higher then 15 units at a time. maybe this is linked?

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes I would say that it's linked. I used to be on high bolus levels and, although not as high as yours, I found that it caused site soreness. For me it was also made worse by my pump being the Animas as this delivers the insulin much faster and more powerfully than other pumps, often causing a stinging bolus. I have to have the delivery speed set on slow but it can still sting. If I am giving myself a larger bolus, say 7 units, I never bolus it all through at once. I only give a max of 2.5u in one go and then wait a minute or so before doing the next bit. This helps me avoid soreness most of the time.

You may well need to change your set every 2 days and this will help avoid soreness, lumps and scar tissue.

I also can't put a set where I injected for 30 years as I have scar tissue so I use my hips and the wider tummy.

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
I agree with what's been said, i would consider changing your cannula's earlier than usual, see if this makes a difference, especially if you have a high basal rate.

Does your pump have different bolus settings? for example with large doses i use the extended or multiwave bolus which give the insulin over a set period of time instead of a standard 'all at once' bolus.

i try avoid giving more than 4-5 units at once like mushypea.

Keep an eye on these bumps, if they look red and angry after a day or two, consider seeing your GP, they shouldn't have any issues prescribing a short course of antibiotics to prevent/cure any infection.

Hope your rotating your sites well. I try leave at least an inch gap between sets and any that have been sore i avoid that area for a good few changes to give it a good chance to heal well.

LauraNoraLoo

i try and use the opposite side of my body every time i change the set, so im never near a new "lump". So i am rotationg all the time. I have to be careful of where i put them because of all my lypohypotrophy so thats an issue also.

im going to start changing every 2 days now and see how that goes, my insluin requirements have definately lowered since being on the pump so big doses should be a thing of the past for me now!