How long are you on LCHF diet?

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Low carb - no meds (usually @ 30g a day give or take a few, often under 20g) since December 17
Never felt better
Hba1c down from 62 to 36 (it came down very quickly)
BP down from borderline medication to well within the normal range
Cholesterol optimal
A side effect of lowering carb intake was a 4 stone weight loss in 7 months that I'm maintaining (in my younger days I was a yo yo dieter, could never maintain).

Reactions: tklee and Gsp

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Since June 2012. Very rarely eat grains or potatoes - when I do, I usually pay with joint pain. Quite apart from the change in blood glucose levels, I can't imagine going back to eating the way I used to - the decrease in joint inflammation has been life changing.

Reactions: Gsp

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Was, already, for about ½ a year, but had to switch insulins, and fell off the wagon. Back on it again, and now at about 2 months done, and going - morning value today, 1.6 mmol/l :)

Edited to put in a P.S. Going keto, to try to reverse kidney problems - this far, with sloooow, slow changes, but going in the right direction. Hoping for some real results, after a few years...

Edited for clarity: With morning value, mentioned here, is meant amount of ketones, due to very low carbohydrate intake. Value, should not be interpreted, as a blood sugar value.
There are some different degrees, of LCHF, and by restricting carbohydrates enough, one can enter nutritional ketosis. A value of 1.6 mmol/l ketones, shows I have probably entered nutritional ketosis.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was, already, for about ½ a year, but had to switch insulins, and fell off the wagon. Back on it again, and now at about 2 months done, and going - morning value today, 1.6 mmol/l :)

Edited to put in a P.S. Going keto, to try to reverse kidney problems - this far, with sloooow, slow changes, but going in the right direction. Hoping for some real results, after a few years...

Hi Mike - Were you really at 1.6 mmol/l this morning, and smiling?

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Mike - Were you really at 1.6 mmol/l this morning, and smiling?

@DCUKMod

Hello :)

Yupp - sure, you did not read 16, now ;).

1.6, with enough insulin on board, should not be a problem yet. Problem could come, if one gets into starvation-ketosis, after about 3.0 mmol/l.
DKA, probably not a problem, before you go over 5 mmol/l, though, so yes - up and running

But thank you, for asking - I suppose you got a little bit worried, as you noticed, I'm a type 1?

Mike

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DCUKMod

Hello :)

Yupp - sure, you did not read 16, now ;).

1.6, with enough insulin on board, should not be a problem yet. Problem could come, if one gets into starvation-ketosis, after about 3.0 mmol/l.
DKA, probably not a problem, before you go over 5 mmol/l, though, so yes - up and running

But thank you, for asking - I suppose you got a little bit worried, as you noticed, I'm a type 1?

Mike

Thanks, Mike.

So, it the 1.6 relating to ketones? My reading of your post doesn't clarify that one way or t'other, unless I'm missing something. (That may be the case of course!)

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah, OK - I see @DCUKMod .

I'm sorry, to not being more specific, but i just did not notice it myself.
As we were talking keto here, I assumed, that a value mentioned, is and has to be ketones, not a bloodsugarlevel.
I admit, my wrong, sorry!
Though, I think I really would be able to answer, with a BGL at 1.6 mmol/l, also ;)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah, OK - I see @DCUKMod .

I'm sorry, to not being more specific, but i just did not notice it myself.
As we were talking keto here, I assumed, that a value mentioned, is and has to be ketones, not a bloodsugarlevel.
I admit, my wrong, sorry!
Though, I think I really would be able to answer, with a BGL at 1.6 mmol/l, also ;)

Well, to be fair, the thread title doesn't mention Keto. Others have brought that into the mix.

personally, I use a low carb diet, and my A1c skirts around 30, and has done for several years now, but at any given time I have absolutely zero clue if I am in ketosis. For me, that specific is unimportant.

Would you be able to consider tweaking your post, to reflect you are referring to nutritional ketosis, and not blood glucose? Not everyone is as clued us as we might have become over the years. If you're not sure how to do that, I can add a note for you, but I think it's important it's clear.

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
I have been low carb high fat for 7 years now. T1 for just over 7 years. Fitter, stronger and healthier now than I was 15 years ago. I always keep to under 25g carbs per day, 12g each meal, but often less. Two meals per day. I try to follow dr Bernstein’s solution, which emphasises on keeping BG levels at 4.6 / 5.6.
I try to keep my food clean and natural, eg no artificial preservatives, but sometimes don’t.
I think I have been keto for 7 years, but not sure and not worried if I am or not.
My hba1c has not been above 5.8% (40) since I started.
I have no thoughts whatsoever of changing my diet. It works for me.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Low Carb Higher Traditional Fat since May 2019. But it's a Way Of Eating - not a diet I have never restricted Calories, just carbs!

Auto E

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Low Carb (50-75g/day) since July 2018. Now lowering even more (less than 20) and finally seeing my FBG drop! But I love that someone asked this question because I get scared hearing about people getting gradually raising FBG on keto, or getting thyroid issues, or getting sex hormone issues. It sort of freaks me out and I hope that I can stay this course and continue to feel as well as I do now.

StewartH

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Approaching 5 years. When I discovered LCHF I read and researched a lot about it, then jumped in. I said at the time that it felt like I had been cured! Still going well but of course occassional off days. If I wake with high BS I take a large (for me) dose of novorapid and sometimes have to wait till mid day before normal sugars return. Usually happens if I have eaten a large dinner and have not done sufficient excercise the day before. I can not imagine going back to the high carb rollercoaster.

Moogie1947

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nearly 10 years although I have been in remission for several years I have generally a lowish carb diet but don't count carbs any more, just stay off obviously high carb stuff. However, during lockdown I've lost the plot rather and so testing recently had some poor readings . Am trying to get back on track now. Anyone else had the surge to splurge on chocolate during lockdown?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Practically 40 years except when consultants or nurses or well intentioned people have tried to force the carbs on me..

Low carb not keto although recent years have been pretty much 90% keto

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Nearly 10 years although I have been in remission for several years I have generally a lowish carb diet but don't count carbs any more, just stay off obviously high carb stuff. However, during lockdown I've lost the plot rather and so testing recently had some poor readings . Am trying to get back on track now. Anyone else had the surge to splurge on chocolate during lockdown?
Yes - so I have - 85% or 90% Lindtt dark chocolate with a little peanut butter on top - usually satisfies me

Rog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Can we eat organic bran flakes from wholefoods ?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can we eat organic bran flakes from wholefoods ?
Its depends on the carb content and what it does to your personal sugar levels. They would cause a spike to a lot of people. You will only know for you by testing with your meter

Reactions: donnellysdogs