Metformin

pamd.1952

I stopped my metformin 3 days ago because I have had diahorrea for the last 8 months. It’s now stopped but my sugars have gone up.
What do I do now. I will contact my nurse next week if it doesn’t come down. What can I do now.

pamd.1952

To add I have been on Metformin for over 25 years without any problems.
I took ketoacidosis last October due to food poisoning and I was put on insulin with Metformin. I have not lost any weight but my stomach feels funny. I just thought it may be the Metformin.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Difficult to advise if you are on insulin, usually for a type 2 I would enthusiastically say go low carb instead but you need to balance the insulin very carefully if you do this.
For the very recently diagnosed, low carb can get many of us into remission quickly but the longer your pancreas has been under stress the harder it gets. Still just about all T2s can reduce meds as a minimum.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I stopped my metformin 3 days ago because I have had diahorrea for the last 8 months. It’s now stopped but my sugars have gone up.
What do I do now. I will contact my nurse next week if it doesn’t come down. What can I do now.

Normal Metformin or slow release?
Slow release might be kinder to your guts.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
What can I do now.

Reduce your carbs, but carefully, since as @TriciaWs said you are at risk of hypos if you reduce too much.

What sort of insulin regime are you on? What sort of blood sugar levels are you seeing?

pamd.1952

My Metformin is the slow release one. I take Humulin M3 28 units in the morning and 14 units at tea time. My blood sugar levels are much higher now average 10-13 mmols.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are on a fixed amount of insulin don't you have to adjust your carbohydrate intake to match it?

Rich12

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Snow
Just a tip here. I’m on two 500ml metformin sr tablets twice a day. I have found by taking one tablet every 4 or 5 hours. The side effects are halved. The toilet problem are a lot less, which is a relief, and my numbers are staying as normal. So I’d say play about with your dose , you may find that’s the way to tolerate metformin . Good luck.

Rich12

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Snow
Day 3 of taking my metformin every 5 hours, and I’m thinking of going back to taking 2 in the morning and 2 at night. I now seem to be having a little trouble going. Not had that problem for years. It’s something different. :)