Levemir

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you have just one dose or do you split it in two?
How much do you use in 24hrs?

slimtony

Hi,

Most people split Levemir into two doses. Personally, I find it works spot on with 3 jabs daily - 7 units first thing in morning, 6.5 units mid-afternoon, and 6 units last thing at night (19.5 total).

I tried it twice daily at first, but found that I had gaps in coverage at certain times of day.

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankyou for your reply. Blimey, three shots per day, how many times do you have short acting? you must have to have a lot of needles per day.

lizbet9

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I take 30 units of Levemir in the evening before bed and Novorapid with each meal (dosage depends on amount of carbs in my meal). I used to split the levemir and have a dose in the morning and a dose prior to going to bed 40 units in the morning and 60 in the evening this was changed due to the number of hypos i was having ( i didnt take novorapid then).

My current dosage suits - still have odd hypo if I have been doing something extra (walking or working extra) but HBA1C down to 6.5.

Im type 2 for 4 years, also on metformin x 4

Speak to your diabetic nurse for advice as as far as i can see no one method suits everyone

jopar

When I was on MDI (now on a pump) I split my levimer am&pm

I did try 3 times a day, but this just didn't work out at all, as it meant a jab in the middle of the night no chance of that happen 356 days a year waiting up until 11pm every night was bad enough..

My husband spilt is dose started alright on a single evening dose for several years then it started falling short so ended up splitting it, he wasn't amused with another jab a day

Elc1112

Hi, I just do the one dose of levemir before I go to bed, and three doses of Novorapid with meal. When I first moved to levemir I was splitting the dose and having one injection before bed and one first thing in the morning. Since ice switched to the one injection I am using leas insulin than before

slimtony

candi-girl said:
Thankyou for your reply. Blimey, three shots per day, how many times do you have short acting? you must have to have a lot of needles per day.

Yup, six shots a day in total. :crazy:

Unlike Elc1112I, I actally found that I use slightly less Levemir on a 3 way split compared to twice a day - 19.5 down from 22 :***:. I also noticed a more even and reliable action, possibly down to the fact that smaller doses of insulin will generally work more predictably than large ones.

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all for the replies.
I took 12units of levemir last night. I was 6.0 when I went to sleep and 5.0 when I got up. I took the same dose this morning. Will see how it goes.

steveinblackpool

Hi candi-girl

That looks perfect readings not sure only 12 in the morning will last you all day but keep testing and that will prove me wrong

Let us know how u get on as I might suggest next time at hospital doing a Jab at bedtime and 1 in the morning with Levemir as at mo only do 1 injection with Levemir with 38 units... seems alot. As well as Novarapid when i eat ;-)

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I'm normally on a pump, having a bit of a rest for a month and my total dose of basal is usually 16 in 24 hrs. The 12 in the day has worked in the past and seems ok thus far. I think I may need to lower the night though as I have much less at night on the pump and last night I had a 3.2 hypo. Ate a big bowl of cereal, way too many carbs but still woke up at only 4.0 :***: hmmmm....

I am just resting my tummy from the infusion sets, I need to do this every once and a while.

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
steveinblackpool said:
Let us know how u get on as I might suggest next time at hospital doing a Jab at bedtime and 1 in the morning with Levemir as at mo only do 1 injection with Levemir with 38 units... seems alot. As well as Novarapid when i eat ;-)

I think it's a good idea to ask if you can split it. Worth trying it and see how you get on. I am naughty I just try things out myself :p

duranie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Winter!
Most type 1s are advised to split levemir as the maximum duration of this insulin is 18 hours and it can last as little as 12 hours. I take 15 units at 8am and a further 10 at 10 pm. The amount is irrelevant I suspect it's just I found that by only taking a dose at bedtime my bg readings rocketed mid-afternoon the next day & not suspecting that the levemir had run out I was ending up having to take a huge adjustment to bring levels down, this doesn't happen anymore. hth

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks.
I am currently taking 12u at 9.30am and 11u at 9.30pm and it seems to be doing a sterling job :thumbup:

RussG

For what it's worth, I take 4u levemir in the morning and 20u in the evening. I don't think the extra job bothers me, although I do have to set an alarm on my phone to make sure I remember the evening one.

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also split. 12U in the morning 32U in the evening then have variable ratios for my novorapid in the day.
I used to be on a single shot of Lantus but that was always running out after 18 hours or so and I would have highs before the shot and then hypos first thing in the morning.

Levemir is much better :)

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am in love with Levemir at the minute. It is doing such a great job during the night. :clap: