Help

Gafspa

I’m newly diagnosed, had been doing okay and getting to grip last with carb counting.
My levels had been running high as dr changed my ratio to 1:12 but I was generally between 7-10.
The last few days I’m almost had to double my daily insulin intake. I’m constantly running high - morning readings 14 ‍♀️
As I’m newly diagnosed I’m not that adventurous with food and have the same thing for breakfast and dinner. Yesterday for my dinner (soup) I had to have 8 units to get my levels down. For the last few months 4 units for same meal have held me fine!

Any advice appreciated as I’m so confused and freaking out!

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My initial thoughts are could you be coming down with something? It’s easy to run higher if your unwell. Also what are your basal requirements like? Have you noticed a change?

Edit: also just thought we’re in lockdown again so has your daily activity decreased a lot? I have to increase my bolus if I know I’m going to be sat at a desk vs doing lots of housework for example

Gafspa

My initial thoughts are could you be coming down with something? It’s easy to run higher if your unwell. Also what are your basal requirements like? Have you noticed a change?

Edit: also just thought we’re in lockdown again so has your daily activity decreased a lot? I have to increase my bolus if I know I’m going to be sat at a desk vs doing lots of housework for example

Thank you, I had first thought that I was getting poorly but feel fine (other than symptoms for high levels) this is now the forth day so I would’ve thought other symptoms would’ve presented by now .
I increased my Basel as dr told me to if poorly. First 2 days just by 1 unit to 17, 3rd day to 18 and I have given 19.
I’ve not gone back to office since March so my daily routine hasn’t changed.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Talk to your team.

Lots of possible reasons for increased insulin needs, including the fact that you may have been in a honeymoon period that is now ending.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m newly diagnosed
Have they told you about the honeymoon period? It can take a long time before a T1 (almost) completely stops producing their own insulin so it makes sense for your insulin needs to increase over time.

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If your insulin needs continue to increase you could get your team to order a c-peptide to see if your insulin production has changed.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What basal insulin are you on. Any increases on most will take a few days to take affect. I was taught to keep basal the same but to up bolus if ill. If not ill then each basal increase should have a few days between to gauge the affects.

Gafspa

Thank you all for the input, I hadn’t had the honeymoon period explained but this makes perfect sense!
I was planning on ringing my team tomorrow but definitely feel calmer now there is a possible explanation.
I’ve hardly had any carbs today and my levels are so much better.
Getting readings under 10 which I haven’t been getting for days!

Reactions: Antje77

fingerpain

Thank you all for the input, I hadn’t had the honeymoon period explained but this makes perfect sense!
I was planning on ringing my team tomorrow but definitely feel calmer now there is a possible explanation.
I’ve hardly had any carbs today and my levels are so much better.
Getting readings under 10 which I haven’t been getting for days!

Hi Gafspa, Be cautious about no carbs may kick off Ketones which leads DKA. My daughter (12yrs) is in honeymoon period and is fluctuating and we closely monitor it.