Struggling to stay on my meds

Heatherp85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone, i have Type 2 and have been diagnosed about 2 years. Recently I have really been struggling to find the motivation to take my tablets every day I take them some days) i have avoided going to my nurses appointment because i know my levels with sky high, i have even stopped taking my antidepressants and my heart tablets. My question is this: how do you cope with this every single day without wanting to pull your hair out? I don’t know if it’s lockdown or what but im struggling to take so many tablets every day.

SilverK

It’s really important that you take your heart pills, and not taking your antidepressant will just make everything feel worse. Please consider talking to someone at your practice about this?? A friendly nurse?

Heatherp85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It’s really important that you take your heart pills, and not taking your antidepressant will just make everything feel worse. Please consider talking to someone at your practice about this?? A friendly nurse?
My partner has made an appointment for me but its a two week wait to see my doctor

edan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
You should be able to self refer to a mental health service in your local area, I’ve done this recently for the same reason and am going on a course about managing stress with a long term condition, based on cbt, and arranged without needing to speak to the GP. Exercise may help your mood, getting outside and having a walk, eating well, and doing some relaxing activities to help you recharge. Having high blood sugars could be making you feel worse, so taking the tablets may be hard at first but get easier. Is there anyone who can help you take them by reminding etc?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, i have Type 2 and have been diagnosed about 2 years. Recently I have really been struggling to find the motivation to take my tablets every day I take them some days) i have avoided going to my nurses appointment because i know my levels with sky high, i have even stopped taking my antidepressants and my heart tablets. My question is this: how do you cope with this every single day without wanting to pull your hair out? I don’t know if it’s lockdown or what but im struggling to take so many tablets every day.

Heather, I have only been taking medication of any sort for a couple f years, and nothing for my diabetes. My meds are for my thyroid gland.

I detest taking them, even though, once I got the medication and doses sorted out, I feel so very much better for it.

Because I take 2 different tablets, in a couple of strengths, and taken them very early in the morning, I have a weekly pill pot. Every time I refill it, I grumble and whinge. I feel certain it grinds for my OH.

I hope you can find a way of building a routine to allow you to take your meds regularly. It's important we stay on top of these things.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

"Sky high" BG levels can evoke the less positive thoughts.
Are you able to test your BG levels on a daily basis..? (Do you have access to a meter?)

Don't ditch your meds. You may also find with the right choice of diet that works for you..

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I dont eat alot of fish, or red meat. I do like some veggies though but I couldn’t be a vegetarian if i could i would live off sandwiches and cereal

Eggs, cheese, non red meat are all possibilities.
Meat of any kind is fine green veg are ok. Cereal and bread I'm afraid are addictions that I used to have that had to be overcome. After a while it becomes easier and now I'm almost purely carnivore.
Higher fat content but low carb foods will be better and provide more satiety.
www.dietdoctor.com has lots of recipe ideas.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Heatherp85

Sorry to hear you’re struggling. For me, mental and physical health are very much inter-twined so it could well be that by addressing one you’ll start to deal better with the other.

Lockdown/Covid and all that goes with it has been stressful for everyone so it won’t be making things any easier, but as @DCUKMod says, finding a routine for taking your meds - and I’d argue for other things (eating, sleeping, exercising) will definitely help.

Reducing your carbs will definitely help with the blood sugars and for me, as my physical health improved, so did my mental health. This was reflected in increased energy levels, greater motivation for enjoying things I’d previously enjoyed but had stopped doing. It’s a cyclical thing and difficult to break, but well worth giving a shot. The Diet Doctor link provided by @bulkbiker is an excellent place to start.

Reactions: Heatherp85

Heatherp85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eggs, cheese, non red meat are all possibilities.
Meat of any kind is fine green veg are ok. Cereal and bread I'm afraid are addictions that I used to have that had to be overcome. After a while it becomes easier and now I'm almost purely carnivore.
Higher fat content but low carb foods will be better and provide more satiety.
www.dietdoctor.com has lots of recipe ideas.
I’ll give it a go thanks for the help

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes

please be careful with meds, the only person who will suffer from this anger is you. Sadly the conditions you are taking the meds for won’t suffer, they will grow stronger.
I have to take an injection once a week. It’s on a Saturday. I think I have a 2 year olds tantrum every sat evening, because I hate doing I do it have another strop and it’s done.
I’m lucky because it’s once a week. I used to be daily tablets and used to have the stop every night. So now it’s only weekly. I hate taking them, but I work so hard to not let diabetes win, the meds helps me with that. If I didn’t take them the diabetes would probably get worse and thus win by doing all sorts of nonsense with my body,

so I have my strop, then my next strop then I forget it for another week.

don’t let the conditions win. Take the meds so that they don’t win and you get healthy.