Hi from a newbie

Shirley64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All
I was diagnosed on Thursday with Type 2 my reading was 71. I have been started on meteformin
Just to give you a bit of medical history
I have high blood pressure on Ramplil
I'm thyroxine because i had my thyroid removed
In the last eight years I've had two primary cancers.
Plus I need to loose a lot of weight.
Just wanted to say hi and nice to meet you all

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi welcome, you’ve certainly had a lot to deal with. How are you feeling about the diagnosis?

There are lots of people on the forum willing to offer support & advice.

Reactions: Shirley64

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Shirley64 and welcome

Sounds like you have a lot on your plate, but you’re in the right place for information and support.

Diagnosis can be a shock, but many of us on here have reduced our blood glucose to non-diabetic levels (and lost a fair bit of weight) simply by changing what we eat. There are many examples of this being achieved from similar, or higher, starting points than you. Metformin can also help, but it’s likely to be your way of eating that will have the biggest impact.

The key is to reduce carbohydrates in your diet - this is more than just ‘sugar’ as all carbs turn to sugar in the blood. How much you need to do this varies from individual to individual, so getting a blood glucose meter to test your levels will help you to understand the impact of various foods on your blood sugar levels.

Have a look at the dietdoctor.com website for more information on food - it’s great for food ideas and recipes and also have a browse around the low carb section of this forum.

Finally, this information may be useful to you - have a good read and come back with as many questions as you like: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/

Shirley64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, To be honest I'm not sure how I am feeling, I go from upset, to blaming myself (which I know I shouldn't) to being really fed up, now just trying to get to grips with what to do next, I looking at diet and exercise, walking to start with ordered a meter even though my GP that I didn't need one.[/QUOTE]

Shirley64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Thank you for your reply.

I have just ordered a meter etc even though my GP told me I didn't need it, but I don't see how I can see what my body is doing with food without it.

I presume I will be referred to a diabetic nurse at some point?

GP mentioned and Education course for T2, but reading on here I think they have bene cancelled at the moment, is that right?

When looking at labels what am I looking for? With regards to fat, & sugar is it better to be lower sugar or fat?

How do you all deal with craving for something sweet?

Any advice anyone could give me would be gratefully received, or just give me a bit of what you did when your were diagnosed. I am trying to put a plan together.

Thank you all in advance.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Any advice anyone could give me would be gratefully received, or just give me a bit of what you did when your were diagnosed. I am trying to put a plan together.
I think you'd like to read our introductory piece on diabetes: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/.
I also think you'd like to read this piece by one of our members: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/

Telling what I did when I was newly diagnosed wouldn't be very helpful, having another type of diabetes than you have, but lots of people on here who can tell you what worked for them.
If you like a bit of chat along with food talk you might want to have a peek on this thread: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/page-2083#post-2328282. Mind, this is in the low carb part of the forum so most food you'll see will help your diabetes, but if you want to discuss high carb foods this is not the right thread for it.

You'll get there, being newly diagnosed is a steep learning curve, and having a meter will be a great help with that!

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi @Shirley64 and welcome to the forum.
Getting diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes may be a stroke of good luck for you just as for many others in the past. If it gives you the motivation to try what actually works for us rather than just what your GP advises!

Here are some of the proven benefits of eating Low Carb or Keto or Carnivore:
1. Drastically reduces HbA1C - puts T2D into remission for around 50% who try it.
2. Weight loss - nice constant weight loss without ever feeling that you are starving yourself. So without slowing down your metabolism.
3. Lowers Blood Pressure - many of Dr David Unwin's patients on Low Carb have reduced or completely stopped BP medication including the GP himself.
4. Appears to reduce depression in many cases.
5. Sharper thinking/less brain fog often reported.

Possible benefits (unproven yet plausible):
A). Reduced chances of dementia (or slower progression) because Ketones work well as fuel for the brain even when plaque build up prevents Glucose being as effective as before.

B). Cancer cells more likely to die/not spread because they are unable to use Ketones as fuel - they need glucose!

Shirley64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you Ian for taking the time to show me there is hope.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you Ian for taking the time to show me there is hope.
There's LOTS of hope on this forum... And @ianf0ster did a great job listing it. :) When I was first diagnosed I didn't understand why anyone'd want to celebrate their Diaversary, the day of their diagnosis. I've been celebrating it myself for years now, because once I knew what was wrong with me, I could take charge and fix it. My life really wasn't worth living back then, honestly. Much better now!

You'll be okay. You're a fighter, otherwise you wouldn't still be here after all your body's thrown at you. Tackling this'll be a walk in the park for you.
Jo

Shirley64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you, You're right Ian's reply was amazing so much so, thank I have printed it out and put it in the front of my food diary.:)