Toast versus Cheese Toasted sandwich

paulandbez

Hi all. I've just started looking into this low carb thing and I've noticed a couple of times that if I have just a round of brown seeded toast my blood sugar was up by 2 points 2 hours later. Two times I have had a cheese toastie (so 2 rounds of bread) and 2 hours later my blood was 1 point up and today (same cheese and bread) it was 0.1 less. My question: Does having cheese with bread lessen the carbs of the bread? Thanks

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No, it does not lessen the carbs, however the fat in the cheese is probably meaning it takes longer to get into your system, so it may well have gone up higher later.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No, it does not lessen the carbs, however the fat in the cheese is probably meaning it takes longer to get into your system, so it may well have gone up higher later.
Totally agree with @Rokaab it may show at 3 or 4 hrs and could well stay higher than you like for longer

paulandbez

Thanks Rokaab. I could have worded that better when I asked if it lessens the bread carbs. Obviously the carbs are still there but I wonder if having the cheese somehow helps to show lower blood figures then it would ordinarily? I'm not sure. My blood readings have not gone up after 5 hours.

paulandbez

I've just noticed this website but not sure if it is medically correct and I need to do more research.
https://healthyeating.sfgate.com/cheese-snack-stabilize-blood-sugar-increase-metabolism-12404.html
"The fats and proteins in cheese slow down the rate at which food leaves your stomach, which moderates the speed of carb digestion and helps prevent blood sugar spikes. When pure glucose is consumed with cheese and butter, the impact on blood sugar is cut in half compared to the effect of pure glucose alone, notes the January 2002 issue of the “American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.” But the total impact depends on the amount and type of carbs compared to the serving size of cheese. One piece of cheese may not help stabilize blood sugar if it's consumed with a large serving of processed carbs such as white bread and crackers."
"Your metabolism temporarily increases after you eat as your body uses energy to digest carbs, protein and fats. This effect -- called diet-induced thermogenesis -- is higher after you eat protein. Metabolism increases by 20 percent to 30 percent after eating protein, compared to 5 percent to 10 percent from carbs and only a small increase from digesting fats, according to a March 2011 report in the “International Journal for Vitamin and Nutrition Research.” The type of cheese and carbs you eat also influences the rise in thermogenesis. A July 2010 "Food and Nutrition Research" report noted that natural cheese consumed with whole-grain bread boosted metabolism nearly 50 percent more than processed cheese and white bread."

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with all of the above. I take insulin so if I have toast (high carb) with cheese on it, then I take my insulin to accommodate some of the carbs then after 3 hours I take the rest of my insulin to allow for the rest of those initial carbs which I know have taken forever to get into my system because the pesky cheese has slowed the process down.

Reactions: Alexandra100

paulandbez

I agree with all of the above. I take insulin so if I have toast (high carb) with cheese on it, then I take my insulin to accommodate some of the carbs then after 3 hours I take the rest of my insulin to allow for the rest of those initial carbs which I know have taken forever to get into my system because the pesky cheese has slowed the process down.
Thanks. As I've said, after 5 hours my blood sugar has still not gone up. I guess when it comes to diabetes we are all different.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks. As I've said, after 5 hours my blood sugar has still not gone up. I guess when it comes to diabetes we are all different.

We certainly are, sometimes there just IS no explanation which is why we are all forever saying test for yourself. Just one more thing, because I have a libre I can check my own rises constantly, in this scenario my levels after 2 hours are well within a 2mmol rise, then in hour 3 it remains stable, then in hours 4 to 5 it starts to go up again and then by hour 5 it is back to normal. It can go from low to high and back to low again very quickly as well so rises can be easy to miss BUT that's with insulin. x

Last edited:

OB87

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I had gestational diabetes the consultant told me to have things like cheese with carbs. I used to test a while after and it came back down and I didn't notice a spike. Unfortunately I now have type 2 and have only had cheese on toast once but it didn't spike me and blood sugars returned to normal. Everyone is different.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find that simply grilling slices of cheese tastes just like cheese on toast, but without the toast. Best are the waxy cheeses like gouda or maasdam as somrcheddar can spread too far and gets too thin
Just saying...

Reactions: OzBlossom

paulandbez

Thanks for the comments. I thought I was going crazy. As much as I love cheese and for me it seems to stop the spikes I will have to be careful I don't have too much cheese. Mind you, I fancy that idea of just grilling the cheese.

Reactions: MrsA2

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have Livlife bread which is only 4gm of carb per slice, although they are small. You might like to try chaffles - cheese waffles, which are rather good, if you feel the need to reduce carbs.