Is Type 2 Coronavirus low risk

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry for getting late to this discussion, been busy with other things. The following paper explains that diabetics who have well controlled blood sugars have significantly better outcomes as opposed that do not have well blood sugar. I did not discover this paper someone on this forum pointed it out to me. I will not talk much about the blood sugar numbers and your situation, that the topic has already has discussed in detail. Being a type 2 diabetic with those numbers you are definitely at risk.

https://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/fulltext/S1550-4131(20)30238-2#.XqxOw3EastwitterVI.

Even if you are a well controlled diabetic you are at risk from Covid complications. The following paper explain it in more detail, but gist of it is that Covid may inhibit the pancreas releasing insulin.

https://www.diabetesresearchclinicalpractice.com/article/S0168-8227(20)30416-2/fulltext

If anyone wants to know more I would be glad to explain this in more detail along with plan to mitigate the risk.

I know that this is in the past, but with information you have given the forum yes you would be at risk.; I just wanted to provide some hard data to the discussion.

To answer your initial question being type 2 diabetic puts you a lower risk from Covid complications, maybe yes only if yout blood sugars are well controlled.

I hope you are well,

Dave

Good morning Dave,

Well done Dave. Every little bit of information helps - and if that information is backed up by medical information, all the better. I have had Covid 19 last March - and I don't want it again. It has taken me this long to get over it and I am still not sure that I really am over it.

Have a nice day.

DCB 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carry out out pizza commercials on the TV and people bringing in a fresh box of glazed donuts to work !!! (They are evil)
Good morning Dave,

Well done Dave. Every little bit of information helps - and if that information is backed up by medical information, all the better. I have had Covid 19 last March - and I don't want it again. It has taken me this long to get over it and I am still not sure that I really am over it.

Have a nice day.
Thank you no problem, I am glad to pass on any information I have learned. Covid was the reason the reason why I came back to the forum during the initial stages of the pandemic. There was not any information and needed a sounding board to discuss what I found

I will be pulling for you getting over Covid ......

Dave

Reactions: Kyambala

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you no problem, I am glad to pass on any information I have learned. Covid was the reason the reason why I came back to the forum during the initial stages of the pandemic. There was not any information and needed a sounding board to discuss what I found

I will be pulling for you getting over Covid ......

Dave

Good afternoon Dave,

Thank you for your Post.

MetabolicJim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not a doctor but I think uncontrolled diabetes can cause inflammation which affects the immune system. If you look at the Wikipedia page for neutrophil to lymphocyte ratio you will see that it is a marker for inflammation and “NLR can be used as a prognostic marker for COVID-19 given the significant difference of NLR between those died and recovered from COVID-19.”

Not really sure how this helps you could test your NLR but it’s probably better to try and bring down your blood sugar with diet. Low carb helps for sure. I am currently trying to minimise polyunsaturated fats from seed oils

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My take on T2 as a risk factor for COVID-19 is that if your metabolism is broken and you have insulin resistance then you are at a higher risk than someone whose metabolism is fully functioning. I was a well controlled T2 and whilst that is obviously preferable to having a high HbA1c at the onset of Covid-19, it is just one factor. From my experience having insulin resistance, and being overweight because of it, is what made my illness worse than it might have been if I had been metabolically healthy.

DCB 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carry out out pizza commercials on the TV and people bringing in a fresh box of glazed donuts to work !!! (They are evil)
I am not a doctor but I think uncontrolled diabetes can cause inflammation which affects the immune system. If you look at the Wikipedia page for neutrophil to lymphocyte ratio you will see that it is a marker for inflammation and “NLR can be used as a prognostic marker for COVID-19 given the significant difference of NLR between those died and recovered from COVID-19.”

Not really sure how this helps you could test your NLR but it’s probably better to try and bring down your blood sugar with diet. Low carb helps for sure. I am currently trying to minimise polyunsaturated fats from seed oils
Bingo ...... I discovered this this in my own personal research and thought the best way to deal with this mess was to have my numbers under control. Timing is everything with this once you are sick you just can not turn on a switch and then get things under control, you have to be proactive get things under contol before anything happens.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bingo ...... I discovered this this in my own personal research and thought the best way to deal with this mess was to have my numbers under control. Timing is everything with this once you are sick you just can not turn on a switch and then get things under control, you have to be proactive get things under contol before anything happens.
Mine have been under control for 8 years. 8 months on from catching Covid19 I am still not well, that's why I say metabolic health is more important than merely being a well controlled T2. The best way to deal with it of course is not to get sick in the first place.

Steve Hare

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I had a long discussion with my diabetic consultant and covid formed part of it..

In short as a diabetic with no other conditions if you are reasonably well controlled you are classed as vulnerable so extra care with social distancing.

Worse control ie hba1c above 79 or other serious conditions will put you in the extreme risk (12 week isolation).

I have hba1c of 76 and high blood pressure and just classed as vulnerable.

Don’t just trust what employers say as sometimes they just want you to work.

Contact your gp either by phone or econsult if you have it and ask them to put you in a risk category. I did he said vulnerable so at least I had that to goto my employer with and things were put in place to reduce my risk and contact

Hi there where did you get the info regarding extreme risk if very hi hba1c an should have shielded?

DCB 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi there where did you get the info regarding extreme risk if very hi hba1c an should have shielded?
Steve,

The following is from an earlier post from this thread:

https://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/fulltext/S1550-4131(20)30238-2#.XqxOw3EastwitterVI.

Even if you are a well controlled diabetic you are at risk from Covid complications. The following paper explain it in more detail, but gist of it is that Covid may inhibit the pancreas releasing insulin.

https://www.diabetesresearchclinicalpractice.com/article/S0168-8227(20)30416-2/fulltext

There is great a deal of information in earlier posts of this thread. If you want talk I would be glad to do it off line

Dave