Anyone who had a shielding letter before get another this week?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We have a similar outlook, @becca59 . Though I have no childcare duties.
Just myself and Mr Pipp in household, and through having no social contact with others we are protecting ourselves, and those we care about. It is a restricted life, but not unbearable.

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's the problem isn't it, it seems different everywhere. I am type 1 and in a very high risk job but never so much as received a text from my Drs never mind a shielding letter. I don't think I'd call it a myth though because t seems the vast majority of people with 'normal' diabetes did not receive shielding letters. It sounds like you had an individual full discussion with your GP & consultant specifically about this though so maybe that's the key? If you make the 'business case' for a letter you just might get one. x
Apologies I didn't mean to offend by saying myth, I've just read a number of posts from people stating diabetes alone isn't enough to have the letter, or that you have to have poor control. Mine came after I had my annual consultant clinic over video call and they asked what job I have. They thought I should shield, which surprised me as they'd commented on how well my control had been with one of my lowest HbA1c lab results ever (on libre about a year now, game changer even though my HbA1c has consistently been around the 46-52 over the years so I wouldn't say terrible control). I contacted my GP simply asking if I should expect a letter, no detailed conversations, and they said yes I should. It will have added weight that my consultant had recommended it though. Cases have been rising rapidly at work in the past few days so as hard as it is to be out I do feel safer as others are out isolating left right and centre.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Apologies I didn't mean to offend by saying myth, I've just read a number of posts from people stating diabetes alone isn't enough to have the letter, or that you have to have poor control. Mine came after I had my annual consultant clinic over video call and they asked what job I have. They thought I should shield, which surprised me as they'd commented on how well my control had been with one of my lowest HbA1c lab results ever (on libre about a year now, game changer even though my HbA1c has consistently been around the 46-52 over the years so I wouldn't say terrible control). I contacted my GP simply asking if I should expect a letter, no detailed conversations, and they said yes I should. It will have added weight that my consultant had recommended it though. Cases have been rising rapidly at work in the past few days so as hard as it is to be out I do feel safer as others are out isolating left right and centre.

Hi UK, gosh, NO apology needed, never gave taking offence a second thought, lol!!! I found your post interesting, it served to show that there are difference in GP's everywhere. x

Reactions: UK T1
Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm an insulin dependent diabetic from first being diagnosed around 1991. But told that I'm type 2 rather than type 1. However about 15 years ago I was diagnosed with kidney disease caused by my diabetes. But I wasn't sent a shielding letter before first lockdown so I'm not expecting one now. I know that the government has been responsible for mixed messages about the situation leaving many of us confused.

Kalobe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The highs and lows
I’ve had a second shielding letter but NOT because I have type 1. I am taking immunosuppressants.

suzyjane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got a shielding letter in May so assumed according to new info just published that I had to work from home but my employer says they think diabetes is not on shielding list and asked if have a new shielding letter? (Im sure shielding wasn’t just because of T1 anyway) Very stressed and confused about what status I am and what to do. I understand only the government are shielding now. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

(I actually don’t want to shield, I want to be at work, I just asked for reasonable adjustments but I think they want the letter first?)

Steve Fisher

I got a shielding letter in May so assumed according to new info just published that I had to work from home but my employer says they think diabetes is not on shielding list and asked if have a new shielding letter? (Im sure shielding wasn’t just because of T1 anyway) Very stressed and confused about what status I am and what to do. I understand only the government are shielding now. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

(I actually don’t want to shield, I want to be at work, I just asked for reasonable adjustments but I think they want the letter first?)

Well I did get an official government letter near the start of the ‘first lockdown’. After several weeks I even got the weekly packages of food. I’m not really expecting a new letter seeing that the government stopped the food packages before the lifting of the first lockdown.

It’s utter chaos and that’s all the it can be called.

Po girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,
I didn't get any shedding letter or mail the first time early this year but I was classed as clinically vulnerable so I worked from home. This time - and I'm still 62 with T1, I've had a Letter and an email from Matt Hancock saying I'm in the Extremely Clinically vulnervle group - have they had a re think?
No one rise out there seems to be doing any different - still all going about normal life with travel and shopping a walking etc and some roads very busy?
I continue to work from home as too frightened to go out much. I am a front line worker with Social Services and my husband is with the Police so we do have public interaction jobs.

Reactions: London36_

Maggie_Broon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am type 1 and have been for 38 years i am now 42. I heard nothing from my gp nor my diabetes team still havn't heard from diabetes team even though i've left 2 voicemails. I ended up phoning my gp back in March and all she said i was to do was to social distance. I work in a chip shop. My boss however wasn't taking the chance so he put me on furlough. I have now been back at my work since September. We have screens up and i wear a mask. Heard nothing else so far on what i've to do.

Steve Fisher

Yes, I’ve had the secondary letter from government. Seems a lot more comprehensive that last latter, its 3 pages long.

jones_48

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I got a letter in March but nothing this time. I have T1 quite well controlled but also take immunosuppressants for rheumatoid arthritis.
I work in the NHS with close patient contact (seeing 20-30 patients every day).
My GP said I should be shielding now but I still have to go to work because I don’t have a new letter.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Received the wife's shielding letter off the government yesterday.

Better late than never.

Same words as the council's letter. Go figure!

You wouldn't think that there is a lockdown. The traffic is incessant outside, with the school runs and the lorries, buses, plus the traffic going onto the motorway.
Can also see there is no reduction in air traffic from my closest airport.

And everyone else is talking about Christmas, bah humbug!