What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 funny video! So it's basically just pickled herring? My parents used to eat that on New Year's Eve but never forced us kids to try it, although they did wake us up at midnight. I tried it once about 50 years ago-- it didn't kill me but I don't think I'd spend money on it...well, unless I was visiting you that is!
Definitely not pickled herring, completely different product! I'm fine with pickled herring but while it is the same fish it's as different as cabbage from sauerkraut, you cannot compare them.
Just let me know when you plan to visit and I'll get you a herring :)

Reactions: zauberflote

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
B, CWC, nut granola
Lunch salad, coleslaw and sardines. Tea
Dinner 3 sausages, a re-baked potato, pasted cauliflower with turmeric and nigella seeds.carrots and peas. Wine. Several squares of chocolate
Lemon tea.

Breakfast. CWC, nut granola
Lunch, 3 gluten free sausages, a bit odd in texture and not terribly tasty. (MrSlim bought them thinking they would be carb free) with a few mushroons sliced and fried in butter. Tea, or was it coffee to drink.
Low Carb ginger ale.
Dinner sea bass with flavoured butter cauliflower, carrots and peas. Wine, no chocolate tonite, CwC and tea at bedtime

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They were! Starting to judge the right amount of the lemon pepper now. Don’t know how I ever managed without the airfryer!

I looked at those but wondered whether they’d be too sweet - a lot of the DGF stuff is a bit on the sweet side for me.

They are quite sweet, like a lot of their cakes but I love anything nutty, and the butterscotch flavour goes well.
Btw - very impressed with your jar of almond butter surviving for 2 days!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How long did you microwave the kale for - did you add anything to it and how did it taste? I am never sure what to do with kale but would like to eat more of it with it being a superfood

I rubbed a bit of olive oil over it first and sprinkled s&p Spread out on a bit of kitchen roll and microwaved for 3 mins. I checked at 2 mins but it was just shrunken and damp at that at that point. By 3 mins it was crispy and delicious. I could easily eat it as a snack watching tv in the evening.
I’ve previously tried boiling it and sautéing it but haven’t really liked it cooked in those ways.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have missed several days reporting my food. I am not enjoying eating atm due to struggling to get my BG levels back in line. I am sticking to “safe” food but all I really want is soup and toast and tea. All I can report is the last few days I have had a lot of cauliflower. The farm shop box sent the largest cauliflower I have ever seen too much just to rice lol

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for that and the cookie recipe. I'm already fine for bread with Skinnybread and Mestermacher which is the kind of bread I really like. Kale roasted (put it in a plastic bag sprinkled with plenty of olive oil) or with parmesan is good. @DJC3 when you say the rolls are huge do you mean bigger than a tea plate or just a pleasant size?

About the size of a burger bun rather than a soft white roll. Maybe 4” diameter?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have missed several days reporting my food. I am not enjoying eating atm due to struggling to get my BG levels back in line. I am sticking to “safe” food but all I really want is soup and toast and tea. All I can report is the last few days I have had a lot of cauliflower. The farm shop box sent the largest cauliflower I have ever seen too much just to rice lol

How about a cream of cauli soup? That could have plenty cream/sour cream/coconut milk/blue cheese in it, if you're seeking calories, and lots of differing seasoning options too.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How about a cream of cauli soup? That could have plenty cream/sour cream/coconut milk/blue cheese in it, if you're seeking calories, and lots of differing seasoning options too.
Great idea thanks! I have coconut cream and milk and blue cheese In. Honestly this cauliflower would have won a prize at any village fete!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Today’s intake should be: B= TWAM no sweetener just inulin - not a very positive experience to be honest. What is the evidence for sweetener raising bg?; Dockey: CWC with SF caramel syrup; L= Cheesies - wonder what else is in wrongly labelled boxes;? EM: Goose and roast veggies with normies Goose gravy - could be the giblet stuff with Oxo thickened with xantham gum - and a glass of red wine to counteract the carbiness. Being pedantic/legalistic, Advent could start today with 3 days fasting per week - modern interpretation of that is more a small OMAD without meat. Do I have the discipline? I certainly couldn't do it through to Epiphany:arghh: @DJC3 I have requested to change my SLC order to rolls - I have bread sorted IMHO - or cancel. @zauberflote the palm oil bugs me as well so they may yet end up in the bin/skip

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great idea thanks! I have coconut cream and milk and blue cheese In. Honestly this cauliflower would have won a prize at any village fete!

There's also the roasted Caul that looks like roasted brain? The base of the coating is yoghurt, if I recall, but you could try cutting the yoghurt with sour cream, or coconut cream, although for me, coconut cream tastes very sweet, even in it's from the package form.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The loaves are small, the rolls are huge. Like you say expensive though. I think it’s great, but our tastes are very different I know. Doesn’t taste even slightly eggy.
Have to agree. It tastes like the bread we could use for sandwiches and toast. Definitely not "artisan" (I'm still a Skinny Bread fan for similarity there) but a "normal" usable sliced bread. I'm toying with a LC Afternoon Tea thanks to this bread.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hugs for the post Covid lack of food enjoyment and frustrating BGs.
On the back of @DCUKMod ‘s suggestions I have made this several times and everyone enjoys it. The crispy pecan/ bacon topping ( which often sinks tbh) really lifts it.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/cauliflower-soup-crumbled-pancetta

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To try to cheer myself up I've started fiddling with recipes to make them low carb for Christmas (however many we end up with). I came across a Nigella recipe which usually adapts well. I've done a lemon version before which involves LC lemon curd, meringue etc all of which are on my CMT. This one is an adapted cappuccino pavlova.
It's on my CMT but for non CMT users, I've screenshot the adapted recipe
Screenshot_20201111-100139_Copy%20Me%20That.jpg
Screenshot_20201111-101944_Copy%20Me%20That.jpg
Screenshot_20201111-100225_Copy%20Me%20That.jpg

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
Yesterday's culinary delights included:
Greek yogurt, berries and toasted seeds,
Chicken soup (M&S, 50p a tin)
Sausages and green vegetables .... a large bowl of chips on the table proved too tempting so ate about 10.
I also kept finding bits of dark chocolate hidden in handbag, car, wardrobe etc and I daresay nibbled my way through too much. Unsurprisingly my BG was raised.

I didn't test yesterday but my BG was a bit high this morning.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A bit of a catch up again Sunday bed 6.3 FBG Boy's swimming lesson day again and it is a very miserable day weather wise yet again.
B. TAG and I'm still on SLC sandwich. Today's was egg mayo yet again.
L. Nothing on the swimming lesson run.
D. Usual campari and soda and decided to have a prosecco as well. Simple roast chicken with a sage & onion stuffing. Had it with wilted spinach, cauliflower cheese and a mini cob. 2 squares 85% later.

Monday bed 5.8 FBG 6.8

Another week of school runs although the boys (surprisingly) were not bickering with each other this morning.

B. TAG
L. Another SLC sandwich - ox tongue and egg mayo (which Hubby considered a bit weird but I like it).
D. Remains of roast chicken from yesterday but too much to eat it all. Had a couple of Halloumi pieces with it and a mini cob.
Later DGF bakewell with a few raspberries and a dash of cream.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Like the sound of the Berry Bakes. Might give those a try and they’d probably be fine without the sweetener too, methinks. Do you think they’d freeze?
Sour cream/cream cheese mix would freeze but it changes the texture. I've frozen similar combinations but frozen separately to use later as I've made up too much. It's only use able in baking after freezing due to the texture change.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Made a soda scone this morning and had one small portion with some cheese. Not a great idea - despite taking even more insulin, BG went up from 12.5 to 14.8!

Evening meal was the 2nd half of the non-meat loaf from yesterday with a couple of fried eggs. Extra insulin and BG currently 10.7. Probably the best I can hope for today. Still very hungry though. Lots of coffee today.
I used to love a bit of soda scone fried in butter with a cooked breakfast - sadly no longer possible.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I gave the strawberry bits (as I have roughly chopped them, for maximum "exposure") about an hour in the dehydrator, but my OH suggested it'd probably have worked just as well with a light coating of decent cocoa/hot chocolate powder. He's favouring Bourneville at the moment so the tiniest bit dusted on wouldn't be dire.

The ginger we inspired by Hotel Chocolat's Enrobed Ginger he's been rationing himself with. I'm impressed by the man's self-control, but he always has had an enviable "off switch" when it comes to food and drink.
That's given me a Christmas idea now. I used to adore cocoa dusted almonds and it's twigged a LC version is simple. Shelled almonds, coat in a suitably high cocoa content melted chocolate and dust with sugar free cocoa.