Help with bread and other foods please

rt567

Hello
Not posted here for a while.
My wifes Habc1 is 43. Mine was 40 last time I checked.

I've reminded myself of GI's and Gl indexes.

We both don't want to do the massive thing on Type 2 food but would like your help with the following.

Bread, best type that does not have too many nutty tastes. in the past i think we tried Burgens or something like that. Which is the most friendly, please.

Chicken and fish, yes they are friends
Bacon i have but not too much.

I'am aware lintels are good as well as almost all veg bar spuds and most fruits. - all in moderation

Fruits, i eat a small banana daily not too ripe and immediately drink ie Actimel no added sugar in the hope it helps reduce the GI

So which bread, preferably something like Burgens.

Any other food stuff you can recommend that are easy to buy from tesc/morrisons/Asda, etc please

Thanks

Hotpepper20000

I had success dropping my A1C from over 100 to 39 by eliminating all grains and only eating above ground vegetables, cheese and meat
Maybe a few berries with cream a couple of times a week.
Everything you can find in regular grocery store.

Last edited:

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Any other food stuff you can recommend that are easy to buy from tesc/morrisons/Asda, etc
I suggest you check the carb content of foods you are thinking of buying. You don't have to stand around in the shop, perhaps having forgotten your reading glasses! Tesco, Morrisons etc have wonderfully informative websites where you can see how many g carbs per 100g each food contains. You are bound to get some surprises. There may be some painless swaps you can make, eg delicious frozen berries instead of apples, bananas, pineapple etc. Some cheeses are far higher carb than others, even within the same category. eg some Cheddar may contain up to 3g carbs per 100, while Iceland's has only 0.1g (and very tasty too!) The lower fat cheeses will always be higher in carbs than the full fat. Treat anything labelled "Healthy" or "Good for You" with distrust! It may perhaps be "good for" some, but not for those of us who cope badly with carbs. Finally, have a look at Diet Doctor's visual guides and you will have a much better idea of what is low, medium and high carb. You can then make really informed choices.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/visual-guides

rt567

Thank you both.
Been researching and you are right re tesco/etc, info re carbs,etc

Nimble wholegrain bread 400 grams pack looks good. = Any views on this please?

Thanks

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Small changes are probably all that you need - ditch the banana and that will take out a chunk of carbs, smaller servings of anything high carb adding in lower carb options to replace them.
I find that the GI or GL is immaterial if you are trying to avoid carbs, as is the colour - just don't eat them, job done.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nimble wholegrain is 37 percent carbs, and one slice weighs 22gm, so that is about 9 gm per slice.

Hotpepper20000

Thank you both.
Been researching and you are right re tesco/etc, info re carbs,etc

Nimble wholegrain bread 400 grams pack looks good. = Any views on this please?

Thanks
Check your BG before eating the bread and two hours after. Really the only way of knowing how your BG reacts.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For me bananas are a distant memory.... used to love them mashed in a buttered roll...
Good luck

rt567

Thank you all. The only reason I have a small banna a day is its the only fruit i eat and easy to eat and no smelly hands.
I was ;ooking at peaches as they have an ok GI & GL. Instead of a whole weetabix I will have half. Also have just over half a plate of porride will now make it under a half. Skimmed milk. Have cut down on drink and only drink weekends - will keep to one or 2 doubles brandy and a bottle of Corona lager on sat and Sunday but am trying to reduce.

Our daughter has serious nut allergy and i miss my peanuts will try cashewnuts as they don't give off the smae, strong aroma of peanusts.

Any more tips?

I walk for ten mins daily and my wife for 30 mins and i will do two times 10/15 mins now. 72kgs at just over 5.' 8"

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I was ;ooking at peaches as they have an ok GI & GL. Instead of a whole weetabix I will have half. Also have just over half a plate of porride will now make it under a half. Skimmed milk. Have cut down on drink and only drink weekends - will keep to one or 2 doubles brandy and a bottle of Corona lager on sat and Sunday but am trying to reduce.

Honestly, many of the T2s here find grains problematic. How about full fat greek yoghurt with berries (you can warm frozen ones up in the microwave).?

Full fat milk (or preferably cream) has much less carbs than skimmed milk.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Full milk, more fat the better and it does taste good.
Cashews, while lovely, are pretty high in carbs compared to other available nuts.
How do your BGs react to the porridge and bix?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
try eggs for breakfast instead of cereal. They take seconds to cook and can add cheese or ham etc for variation. And they can be cheap

rt567

Thank you all. Recap, I'm close to 41 and wife is 42 Habc1.

ATM, we don't want to go all out re food.

Alpro, unsweetended, plain type going to buy that today. Was eating white bread Warurtons, slim type now will try Nimble brown bread. I eat eggs average 2 daiy usually fried will have them most of the time now as poaced. Will cut down bread from usally 2 pieces to on but did eat 3/4 at night after 9 as egg sandwich at times bacon added.

Will stop eating banna usally small but will eat plums like Mrs - she has them daily as well as apple and pears. I will try a bit of plum and stawberries and may try, both of us try berries.

Morning usally some scots porridge rolled,steel oats skimed mike and then a weetabix about 4pm will now have half. For lunch 4 days a week tuna sandwich will have one bread now and no cakes and busicults. Dinner usallt pies/falns, battered chicken and fish will cut down to chicken or reduced portions.

What proprtions of fruit are recommeded, pelase.

Thanks

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is, of course, entirely up to you and your wife how you manage your diabetes, but really, you do need to seriously review your diet to get the full effect of reducing carbs. Anything else is tinkering around the edges and I think you will find it both harder to maintain and disappointing in terms of results.

While you are still consuming some high-carb foods and not replacing any reduced calories with additional fat and protein, you are likely to still have hard-to-resist carb cravings and hunger which are bound to derail your best efforts. I know a changed diet seems daunting and very hard work at first but you soon adjust.

And carry on frying your eggs, if that is what you prefer. Why not? As long as you use a natural fat like butter, coconut oil or whatever. I suspect you are very dubious about the ‘higher far’ element of LCHF, and it’s true, it takes a while to shake off the low-fat diet indoctrination we have been subjected to all our lives. No-one is advocating eating pounds of butter in a single sitting, but more, returning us to the natural-fat-inclusive diet where some additional fat balances out a reduced carbs consumption, which we have enjoyed for thousands of years without obesity or heart disease or diabetic epidemics. But don’t take my word for it or anyone’s here, do some gentle research at your leisure and see what you think.

Perhaps look at ditching some of the worst offenders - the bread, porridge, and weetabix and replace them completely with a low carb alternative? It really isn’t as awful as you might think, and you may well find you prefer low carb food once you have adjusted.

Best wishes with your diet changes, whatever you decide.

Sadjers

try eggs for breakfast instead of cereal. They take seconds to cook and can add cheese or ham etc for variation. And they can be cheap
My diabetic nurse suggested eating eggs with toast to slow the absorption of the carbs in the bread . Also fat does slow the absorption rate.
My knowledge is based on managing my insulin/blood sugar levels as a Type 1. Cereal/toast spikes my sugar levels far faster than eggs and cheese. Avocado with eggs has become one of my favourite breakfasts. There's loads of great recipes.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I think there is a bit of confusion as how best to assist, due to your relatively good HbA1c and the selection of your food choices. There is a gent on the site that effectively eats "normally" in small portions, but covers this with alot of physical exercise. If you are trying to stay around 40-41 for your HbA1c it will take alot of diligence to not go backwards.

The "bread" that I recommend is home made out of coconut nut flour (I did the lot on the plate in one sitting).

coconut flatbreads.jpg

Brilliant with curry's, bacon, bolognaise or like yesterday we have chicken with fajita seasoning, sour cream, guacamole.

Reactions: oldgreymare

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ATM, we don't want to go all out re food.
I'm not clear whether you are trying to lose weight, or just lower your blood glucose? (Apologies if you already said and I missed it.)

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello
Not posted here for a while.
My wifes Habc1 is 43. Mine was 40 last time I checked.

I've reminded myself of GI's and Gl indexes.

We both don't want to do the massive thing on Type 2 food but would like your help with the following.

Bread, best type that does not have too many nutty tastes. in the past i think we tried Burgens or something like that. Which is the most friendly, please.

Chicken and fish, yes they are friends
Bacon i have but not too much.

I'am aware lintels are good as well as almost all veg bar spuds and most fruits. - all in moderation

Fruits, i eat a small banana daily not too ripe and immediately drink ie Actimel no added sugar in the hope it helps reduce the GI

So which bread, preferably something like Burgens.

Any other food stuff you can recommend that are easy to buy from tesc/morrisons/Asda, etc please

Thanks
I tend to eat more carbs on the forum than most members and have found the Tesco High Protein (10g carbs per slice) or Hovis seeded - in the Orange wrapper (13.5g carbs per slice) to be ok. Both are quite thick so one slice loaded with low carb filling such as meat, eggs, tuna, cheese and salad is sufficient. For breakfast I have FFat Greek Yogurt with berries when working or poached eggs on a slice of toast or scrambled egg with mushrooms and peppers when I’m not. I can still eat potatoes albeit one medium/2 small ones but, for a treat, I can also manage a jacket potato which I still test for. I do have pasta but not very often and only small portions and I’ve found that cooking, cooling under a cold tap and reheating does not affect my BS too much. Failing that if I have Bolognaise I normally have it with courgetti or thinly sliced for a Lasagne. I’m not sure if you’re testing but the only real way to determine what affect foods have on your BS is by testing and then you can make the decision as to whether to continue eating it.