Feeling sleepy after eating sugary items?

sunlilac01

Hi all,

I'm going through bit of a difficult time. Feeling bit down from my symptoms. So any help is appreciated.

I've recently noticed when i eat sugary food or the following items Rice, Potatoes, Coke.

My vision gets blurry. And on some occasions i feel so sleepy that i cant even keep my eyes open and need to rest.

If i eat a sugary dessert i sometimes have to urinate all night.

I have asked my GP, If he can test me for diabetes but said i was last tested in august 2020 and i am ok.

My mum is also diabetic type 2.

What to do? Could it be another condition that resembles diabetes?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
One suggestion is to go to your local pharmacy and ask them to do a blood glucose test.
However, if your blood panel results in August are normal, then it is probably okay.

Many people get what is commonly called a sugar crash after eating.
And yes there are many metabolic condition that have normal hba1c!

Reactions: sunlilac01

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
With respect, if you are worried then why not cut down on the foods that affect you?

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It could be reactive hypoglycemia. Blood glucose drops after consuming carbs. It can be a precursor to T2 diabetes. I would get a blood glucose monitor and test when not feeling well after eating carbs. If blood glucose falls below 4, it could be causing those feelings and you need to get it medically checked out.

Goma5

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
does your mum have a blood glucose meter? If so you could test your levels on that to put your mind at ease. I think the hereditary link is lesser to other risk factors so don’t let it worry you too much but definitely find a way to test.