Keep needing snacks to avoid low

Ash_230

Recently I have been needing lots of snacks in order to avoid lows, especially in the afternoon and evening. This afternoon, between about 3pm and 10pm I have consumed a snickers bar (30g carbs), 3 brunch bars (20g carbs per bar), a chocolate milkshake (20g carbs), a bottle of powerade (25g carbs), a piece of brownie (roughly 20g carbs), a glucojuice (15g glucose) and several glucotabs (3g glucose per tab). I gave 6 units of NovoRapid at lunch which I carb counted and I reduced my ratio at dinner (I gave 4.5 units for 70g carbs). I played tennis for an hour and a half this afternoon so would ordinarily expect to have to snack more than usual but not to this extent. I do a split Levemir of 7.5 units around midday and 8.5 units around midnight.

I am an experienced diabetic (diagnosed at 2 - now 23) but I have never experienced anything like this before. It has been happening for the last week or so although not quite to the extent of today. I wondered if anyone had ever had a similar experience, especially on an active day (playing sport etc)?

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Recently I have been needing lots of snacks in order to avoid lows, especially in the afternoon and evening. ...
Wow! Are you putting on weight? Sounds like reducing basal action at that time of day would help. I used to have episodes like that and never figured out the cause. Insulin must be coming from somewhere. Perhaps regenerating beta cells that haven't been destroyed yet? For me these episodes were temporary, lasting days or weeks. I never tied them to exercise but I guess that would make it worse.

Reactions: EllieM

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
We just get more insulin sensitive at times. Sometimes it's an exercise or activity change, sometimes people need more or less because of the change of seasons. Sometimes who knows. Hormone changes from being a teen to a young adult is also high on the list. But there are numerous reasons. The trick is learning to adjust as you need to. Lower your basals, possibly your I/C ratio. A basal test is probably a really good idea if you stay at a lower need. Eating to a low is a sure fire way to gain weight and get really sick of Snicker bars. :angelic:

I remember the night after my first 3 hour snorkel/swim I woke up to a bunch of low alerts and over the next 4 hours ended up consuming an entire 8 ounce orange juice, (usually I drink a couple of ounces only) a chocolate chip cookie which I thought would take care of it for sure and half a taro donut. The taro donut is because it was higher fat and I knew it had a slower digestion of carbs and I really wanted to finally get some sleep. I woke up with a complete normal level and no extra insulin was taken.

Type 1 is as predictable that it's unpredictable.

https://integrateddiabetes.com/basal-testing/

Last edited:
Reactions: Jollymon

Goma5

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thats a lot of snacks! Nowhere near to that extent but I have had a few days like that mostly relating to a bottle of red wine the night before!

the worst thing is it should be enjoyable but when it’s forced eating it takes the fun out of it! Either that or there aren’t any good snacks in the house when the tine is right!!!